7900GS Fan Control

Volkswagen

Supreme [H]ardness
I just got a eVga 7900GS KO a week ago as a temp solution until DX10 matures and crap but the fan noise on it is killing me....I dont mind full speed when I am gaming but surfing the net or so its anoying when its @ full blast so I was wondering if there is any software so that I can controll the fan speeds like I was able for ATI cards with ATI Tool

thx, adnan

I'm also very interested in this. I have the same card running Vista premium,and the fan is quiet forabout the first thirty seconds after Windows boots, then it kicks up to high speed. Is it possible to reduce the fan speed?

I have the 7900 GS CO and I can barely hear the fans on it. Then again, noise doesn't bother me as much as it does some.

I just got a eVga 7900GS KO a week ago as a temp solution until DX10 matures and crap but the fan noise on it is killing me....I dont mind full speed when I am gaming but surfing the net or so its anoying when its @ full blast so I was wondering if there is any software so that I can controll the fan speeds like I was able for ATI cards with ATI Tool

thx, adnan

Mine runs very quiet but then in a very well ventalated case it never goes above 49c.

Since you just got it don't forget to register it. Call EVGA and ask when the new revised HDTV version is coming out, unless you were lucky enough to get one. If EVGA thinks it will be more then 90 days as much as I hate to say it, I'd probably return it and wait for the newer revision.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1071342

Luck

Ihave heard Riva Tunermentioned before, but it does not seem to work properly with the 7900GS on Vista. When I run the application, under "driver" it says "no supported driver detected"

There are a few other tabs such as the registery editor list, but I have no idea what I'm supposed to do to control the fan using the registry editor, and I am relictant to mess around with the registry when it doesn't even seem to be detecting the newest forceware driver.

Can anyone offer some more help or insight? I thought the 7900GS was supposed to have fan control in the driver, but I can't seem to find any controls in the nvidia control panel.

There's no native fan control in the driver, I could be wrong, but I think nTune might have something like that. Rivatuner works fine for me even though the drivers aren't recognized by it. :confused:

I'm pretty sure the card has the ability to control the fan, based on whether it's in2D vs 3D, or based on temperature, without any external programs such as rivatuner.

For example, in Windows XPthe fan slows down when there is a 2D or otherwise less demanding application running, and the fan speeds up for games.

In Vista the fan just runs full blast all the time.

Ntune doesn't seem to do anything that I can tell, all it has is a performance monitor that fails to display most of the things it's supposed to display, and a link to the almost equally useless Nvidia control panel.

that quite odd I have 4 pc's with them and the're all quite quiet. There definetely Ko's as well. Have you tried nvidias ntune utility?

dl it here

http://www.nvidia.com/object/sysutility.html

It allows you to change fan speeds

+ are you sure its the GFX card? did you install it your self and was the pc quiet before? it can be sometimes hard to tell...

G66- Are you running Windows Vista? Because when I run ntune I can't find anything that mentions fan control.

Can someone walk me step by step through how to control the fan using either Nvidia control panel or Ntune?

And yes I'm sure it's the card making the noise. I just put it into a Win XP machine for a testing purpose and it ran fine. Unfortunately I was testing something else and I didn't think to check for fan controls in Win XP. But it doesn't matter what I can/can't do in WinXP because this card is for a Vista machine.

I don't use Vista but this is the Fan tab using rivatuner in XP

http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/8320/untitledjf3.jpg

edit: sorry didnt realize you only wanted ntune.

G66- Are you running Windows Vista? Because when I run ntune I can't find anything that mentions fan control.

Can someone walk me step by step through how to control the fan using either Nvidia control panel or Ntune?

And yes I'm sure it's the card making the noise. I just put it into a Win XP machine for a testing purpose and it ran fine. Unfortunately I was testing something else and I didn't think to check for fan controls in Win XP. But it doesn't matter what I can/can't do in WinXP because this card is for a Vista machine.

Im on XP SP 2, but why should there be a difference its a third party app (damn vista for making things so complicated...)
Thats really odd... Mine has an option to turn off automated
I'll walk you through it, bare in mind though this is very risky, I would only do this if you don't use your pc for hard to run games that may cause the card to heat. If you only have the speed it won't get faster to cool the gfx card and that thing will BURN...

Post if you want a quick tutorial...

The 7900GS fans are known to be on the noiser side as they are small little fans that can be "whiney". Mine is noisy as well, but I just have to deal with it for now.

Riva Tuner does not work to control mine either, and yes I know how to use it since I use Riva Tuner to control the fan speed on my 6800OC :p

The model me and the dude both have is the EVGA 7900gs KO edition. This is a supeclocked card with a specailist fan so it can beat a 7900gt. The fan is small but I've never noticed the noise really. Its not whiny is more of a ffsfsfsfsfsfsffff noise (onamatopoiea <SP rks) lol. I have a massive cpu fan (HUGE!) and 2 120mm case fans on each of my pc's and combined with the powersupplies and the GPU's thats 5 fans in total But the systems quite as hell?!

Try going to your bios and turning on cool 'n' quiet thats quite good. Tell me what your mobo is and what options you have in the bios... There are some really useful things in there on mine that keep mine quiet. and I think there one for my GPU. I will check. I have the MSI K9N Neo 4 in mine and its got load a options...

Oh yeah and check this!

Back