7900GT lost its ability to oc...

seachus

n00b
What would make my card totally lose the ability to use coolbits?

I downclock the card and I get mad texture corruption things go to all hell. Same with oc.

I ran the card for about 3 days watching the temps and stressing it in at 550/850 and it ran rock solid. Now I cannot touch the sliders in coolbits without the monitors blinking on and off like crazy.

I have never seen anything like this, so I thought what have I changed. I uninstalled all my drivers, used driver cleaner on everything and reinstalled them. I now am rock solid at stock 500/750, but as soon as I touch the manual overclock sliders boom.

Its not a heat issue on the core, but I have no clue about the ram as I have no temp sensor for it, but even then I DOWNCLOCK the card and it goes apeshit on me.

I have put avg (antivirus) on to check but it came back clean, so I removed it. It has only been after I removed the avg that this has happened, but I removed it...

Thoughts suggestions
-Shawn

I have an eVGA 7900GT CO and I did the 1.4v mod and my monitor has also been blinky on and off and i have to shut down improperly and restart. I'm not sure if this is the mod or coolbits or driver but I can't be exactly sure yet because I only been doing 3dmark05 before and after the mod with no problems but I just installed 01 and 03 after the mod and I get the blinky on and off monitor toward the end of the benchmarking (the test when the trolls jump down and sound tests on 03) and I got it at the last test, test #17, on 3dmark01 but when i run 3dmark05 everything seems fine so i dunno. Also I went back to stock speeds, selected no ocing with coolbits, but this blinky on and off still occurs while running 01 and 03. I also do that weirdly named 3d stress test RTHLEBL LOL whatever its called :D and i have no problems with blinky on or off or artifacts. My temps max out @ 57C and I got a zalman vf 700-cu. I'm going to reinstall drivers fresh using driver cleaner pro and I'm going to redo the mod, the line i did is kind of thick and not the neatest looking thing and I'm also going to reseat the zalman just to make sure its seated right. I ran into a guy on xtremesystems.org forum with the same problem as us and one guy suggested the cooler not on there properly...in the end the guys problem went away over a couple times..just resolved itself? Whatever..anyone got any other clues?

the coolbits thing is a registry entry change and could be caused by memory(system, not video) errors in many cases

i dunno, never had to try

find the coolbits registry entry as a download, look in it to see what it does, and find it and remove

ill post later tonight on my results...im going to clean drivers and try to use powerstrip instead and if no work then redo mod...blah blah ill let u know :D thanks too

seachus said:
What would make my card totally lose the ability to use coolbits?

I downclock the card and I get mad texture corruption things go to all hell. Same with oc.

I ran the card for about 3 days watching the temps and stressing it in at 550/850 and it ran rock solid. Now I cannot touch the sliders in coolbits without the monitors blinking on and off like crazy.

I have never seen anything like this, so I thought what have I changed. I uninstalled all my drivers, used driver cleaner on everything and reinstalled them. I now am rock solid at stock 500/750, but as soon as I touch the manual overclock sliders boom.

Its not a heat issue on the core, but I have no clue about the ram as I have no temp sensor for it, but even then I DOWNCLOCK the card and it goes apeshit on me.

I have put avg (antivirus) on to check but it came back clean, so I removed it. It has only been after I removed the avg that this has happened, but I removed it...

Thoughts suggestions
-Shawn
Read: http://www.evga.com/community/messageboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13545

If you read a few posts down you can see that myself and many others are having similar issues (ignore the Dell related posts - - those posters were trying to hijack the thread; the Dell/eVGA supposed incompatibility issue is a whole different can of worms).

I should be recieving my RMA replacement card tommorow so hopefully we can determine if there was just a "bad batch" of cards.

No card is stock other than tried to use coolbits to oc it.

Again it ran fine for about 3 days at the higher settings, but now I cannot touch the sliders. I don't know why but I have the same problem as those being described on the evga forums just not at stock speeds.

It does sound like a bios thing though, because downclocking still does it. Although if there is a bad ram chip, and or the core is bad it would always happen too, whatever

I'll play with this next week, and if a reformat doesn't help I'll report back, but it seems to be a card issue as the 7800 gt I replaced never showed any issues.

-Shawn

Back