7900GT noisy/loud?

canislupy

[H]ard|Gawd
I currently have two eVGA 7800GT CO's, which are frickin' loud. Can anyone who has a 7900GT comment on the noise? Are they quiet? Please list brand/model and your impressions of how loud or quiet it is.

Basically, thinking of doing the eVGA step-up program to get 7900GT's, but only if they are quieter than my 7800GT's, since there isn't much to gain performance wise. I need quiet! ;)

Thanks!

Actually, there's a LOT to gain performance-wise: 24pipes instead of 20, 25% higher core speeds, 43% higher RAM speeds (stock), and huge OC potential.

As far as noise, they should be much quieter from what I have read.

Didin´t [H] preview just state that the 7800GT and 7900GT use exactly the same coolers? I gotta check it out again .

Yup the same coolers:

"It is also lighter with the reference heatsink and fan unit compared to the reference heatsink and fan unit on the GeForce 7800 GT."

OP: I suggest you get noise reducing material for your case if fan noise is a problem. I found some audio reducing material from a general store which mainly sell car components. I kid you not when I say my systems overall noise production dropped atleast 10dB. Thats not bad for material that costed less than 10$.

they are quiet (most quiet card i have owned actually that has an active heatsink). ive owned a 6800 ultra, x800xt, x800pro, 6800gt, 9800 pro, 9700pro, geforce 2 gts. out of all of them the 7900gt is the most quiet. however, putting a nv silencer 5 on the card makes it even quieter. i cant even hear the fan unless im like 5 inches away from it.

a-lamer said:
Didin´t [H] preview just state that the 7800GT and 7900GT use exactly the same coolers? I gotta check it out again .

Yup the same coolers:

"It is also lighter with the reference heatsink and fan unit compared to the reference heatsink and fan unit on the GeForce 7800 GT."

OP: I suggest you get noise reducing material for your case if fan noise is a problem. I found some audio reducing material from a general store which mainly sell car components. I kid you not when I say my systems overall noise production dropped atleast 10dB. Thats not bad for material that costed less than 10$.

Have you ever even looked at the cards!? The heatsink/fan on the 7800gt and 7900gt is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT:

http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=313&card2=384

And according to every source I've seen the 7900gt is practically silent...so yes, you can expect to get a reduction in noise levels coming from a 7800GT...

a-lamer,

"compared to"

COMPARED TO... meaning, just by reading the text, they are different. It is bluntly obvious just from looking at pictures that they are wildly different and smaller coolers on the 7900GT's compared to the 7800GT's.

Read. Digest. Think. Post.

Back