7900GT or x1900XTX

Edman22

Limp Gawd
I need a new card and I'm wondering which of these would be better. Should I go for an evga 7900GT or an x1900XTX?

Edman22 said:
I need a new card and I'm wondering which of these would be better. Should I go for an evga 7900GT or an x1900XTX?
1900xtx will smoke the 7900gt in performance, but it is also louder, requires a larger psu, 2 pci slots, and more expensive. Have you considered the 1950xtx? Its cooling solution is better and it is more power efficient than the 1900xtx. If ATI manages to deliver on its mid-September ship date at the retail price this would be a good purchase.

biggles said:
1900xtx will smoke the 7900gt in performance, but it is also louder, requires a larger psu, 2 pci slots, and more expensive. Have you considered the 1950xtx? Its cooling solution is better and it is more power efficient than the 1900xtx. If ATI manages to deliver on its mid-September ship date at the retail price this would be a good purchase.

Why does it require 2 pci slots?

Unknown-One said:
One for the card, one for big ass heatsink :p

Oh I see, so it just requires the pci slot on the case, not another pci slot on the motherboard?

Edman22 said:
Oh I see, so it just requires the pci slot on the case, not another pci slot on the motherboard?

Yes, the cooler is hanging over a pci slot so you can't fit a card without touching the cooler. It also take a case slot as well.

I'm actually looking to sell my 7900GT for $200 or so and pick up a X1900XTX. It's fun not pledging allegiance to a certain brand.. although I find nvidia products more user friendly.

In any case, just wanted something that could play Oblivion without dipping into the 20 frames per second threshold.. I also play a lot of Rome Total War. The 7900GT seems to stumble when I get more than 4 thousand units on screen..

SPARTAN VI said:
I'm actually looking to sell my 7900GT for $200 or so and pick up a X1900XTX. It's fun not pledging allegiance to a certain brand.. although I find nvidia products more user friendly.

In any case, just wanted something that could play Oblivion without dipping into the 20 frames per second threshold.. I also play a lot of Rome Total War. The 7900GT seems to stumble when I get more than 4 thousand units on screen..

I find that game is mostly CPU limited when you have thousands of units in the battlefield. Upgrading your CPU will probably give a bigger boost than upgrading your GPU when playing with a large army.

Skyviper said:
I find that game is mostly CPU limited when you have thousands of units in the battlefield. Upgrading your CPU will probably give a bigger boost than upgrading your GPU when playing with a large army.

How can one make the determination when the CPU is bottlenecking? Should I test it on the lowest settings with the same amount of units on screen?

SPARTAN VI said:
How can one make the determination when the CPU is bottlenecking? Should I test it on the lowest settings with the same amount of units on screen?

thats the best way in a game to see cpu limitations. if you turn all graphical options off or to the lowest setting possible the cpu is doing almost all the work. if it is still slow with the same number of units its a cpu thing. if its faster is a vid card issue.

Blauman said:
thats the best way in a game to see cpu limitations. if you turn all graphical options off or to the lowest setting possible the cpu is doing almost all the work. if it is still slow with the same number of units its a cpu thing. if its faster is a vid card issue.

Alright then, I'll try it.

Back