7900gt to 8800GTS

MrFace

2[H]4U
Think this would be a decent upgrade? I play my games at 1680x1050. I really dont want to ugprade to C2D right now either, so I want to see if an 8800GTS is worth the $450

Yes it would be a good upgrade, not huge, but it will definately allow you to turn more things on, and more AA.

And, most GTS are $399 now, not $450.... so more incentive, and you probably could sell your 7900GT, and the upgrade wont cost you much at all.

Well you might get more bang for your buck upgrading your processor/ram than 7900->8800. The GTS preforms like 20% faster than the 7900GTXs but its also a $400 upgrade for that. I was originally thinking you had the 7900 GTX , with the 7900GT might be worth it.

jmackay said:
Well you might get more bang for your buck upgrading your processor/ram than 7900->8800. The GTS preforms like 20% faster than the 7900GTXs but its also a $400 upgrade for that. I was originally thinking you had the 7900 GTX , with the 7900GT might be worth it.

I'll do the processor/ram next year. I dont do anything that needs dual core so I can't really justify the cost of all those other components.

I am going to completely disagree with the people who have replied to this thread.

I've got a similar rig and I upgraded from a 7950GX2 (!!) to an 8800GTS and the performance difference was nothing short of amazing. And that's before you figure in the ability to pump the eye candy waaaay up. Add to that the extremely high quality AF that the G80 can effortlessly pump out and I see no reason to pass on the upgrade if you can afford it.

:)

Blue Falcon said:
I am going to completely disagree with the people who have replied to this thread.

I've got a similar rig and I upgraded from a 7950GX2 (!!) to an 8800GTS and the performance difference was nothing short of amazing. And that's before you figure in the ability to pump the eye candy waaaay up. Add to that the extremely high quality AF that the G80 can effortlessly pump out and I see no reason to pass on the upgrade if you can afford it.

I ordered it about an hour ago, I'm hoping it ships out today
:D

I'm looking forward to using AA and the supposed better IQ!

So I suppose it might not be a bad idea to jump on the EVGA GTS from ZZf for 399 then, to replace my 7600gt huh?

MrFace said:
Think this would be a decent upgrade? I play my games at 1680x1050. I really dont want to ugprade to C2D right now either, so I want to see if an 8800GTS is worth the $450

Ummmm....YEAH! I went from a 7900GT to this 8800GTS, everything else is identical, and it BLOWS AWAY my old card, period. I play at 1680x1050 like you and man, I can 't stress enough how much faster the 8800's are.....native res, turn on ALL the eye candy....and I am pretty much almost double (some games do) previous frame rates. It is the difference between 30fps and choppy to 60+ and buttery smooth. With the 7900GT I had to turn down some of the AA and AF to keep things smooth enough for me. I play mostly faster FPS games and sorry, 30 to 35 frames a sec might be enough for some, but to me, it SUCKS. Now I can have it ALL....
:D

Blue Falcon said:

Wait wait, Didn't I say it would be a good upgrade? :)

Blue Falcon said:

^^^^^ agrees with this guy 110% ^^^^^

im really thinkin about doing this upgrade also, my friend is willing to by my 7900 from me. :D

hope its worth it!

Glyphic said:
So I suppose it might not be a bad idea to jump on the EVGA GTS from ZZf for 399 then, to replace my 7600gt huh?

That'd be quite a nice upgrade for you :D

I've had 7900gt and I have now 8800GTS. I'm using 20" WS with same resolution of 1680x1050. 7900GT was nice and good but 8800 GTS is so much more. Specialy it allows me to sett much more eye candy without frame drops.

I love it.

Though it has also negative sides because it makes more heat then two 7900GT cards and needs good PSU and has some trobles with drivers. Though that all said it's no question about it that it's a great step up and great product.

MD

Back