7900GTX 512 single slot cooling mod for SLI in SG01

dworley

Gawd
SG01-13.jpg

Here's my latest mod - I used an EVGA ACS copper cooler and fan from one of my 7800GTX 256 cards on a 7900GTX 512 so that I could fit two 7900GTX 512's and a Creative Audigy2 ZS in my SG01 :cool: NOTE: I did have to dremel 1-2mm from a small section of the ACS cover next to the fan plug as it was making contact with some of the components on the PCB of the 7900GTX 512

This definitely answers the question whether a single slot cooler will work on a 7900GTX 512 ;)

After running some benchmarks and games the temps on my outside card with the single slot cooler are only a few degrees higher at idle / load than my inside card that has the stock double slot cooler!

Nice idea man, glad to hear it works. Real clean looking case with top quality hardware.

I'm insanely jealous. Gah.

I bought this system to replace my Shutle SN26P specifically to use the Audigy2 ZS with SLI, it was working fine with my 7800GTX 256 cards but I just had to try this out.

After playing an hour of BF2 the temps on both cards were in the low 70's max, so I am satisfied that this mod will not cause any harm to my investment!

The more i look at your setup the more it makes me want to switch over to an SG01. Keep up the good work.

I have thought about this, taking off the cooler attaching a Zalman, and taking off the metal piece thing, by screwing or sawing.

Can it take a few hours of gaming? I don't want to go ripping apart my 7900GTX's just yet but I might consider doing it now. What kind of 7900GTX's are you running and are they overclocked? You always have the coolest systems!

benamaster said:
Can it take a few hours of gaming? I don't want to go ripping apart my 7900GTX's just yet but I might consider doing it now. What kind of 7900GTX's are you running and are they overclocked? You always have the coolest systems!

UPDATE: After playing a few hours of BF2 last night I started noticing some minor artifacts. I decided to remove the cooler and found that some of the ram was not making good contact with the cooler / heatsink. I assume there are some minute differences in core and memory height so I will re-try this mod with some thermal pads on the ram instead of AS Ceramique.

I'm using stock 7900GTX cards @650/1600 - not overclocked.

Hey...do you think that mod would work for 2 7900GTX's in an SN26P...I'm thinking of getting a hold of 2 copper eVGA 7800GTX HSF's, replacing the I/O plate and sticking them in an SN26P...I wonder...

Personally, I have a Shuttle SN26P and I wouldn't consider running two 7900GTX's with this mod in it. My temps were pretty high running (2) 7800GTX 256 in the SN26P as there is only a few mm clearance between the cards.

Perhaps, when the Zalman VF100 single slot cooler is available and it is proven to work OK on the 7900GTX 512 - I would consider it.

dworley said:
Perhaps, when the Zalman VF100 single slot cooler is available and it is proven to work OK on the 7900GTX 512 - I would consider it.

Do you mean the Zalman VF900?

Seems like the VF100 might be the answer, one of the other forums was talking about how it would be great for Shuttle's.

Only prob is, the VF100 doesn't look like it has RAM cooling. So I would bet it will not work so well with the 7x00 GTX 512 line of cards which run thier RAM hot. See picture posted above....

canislupy said:
Only prob is, the VF100 doesn't look like it has RAM cooling. So I would bet it will not work so well with the 7x00 GTX 512 line of cards which run thier RAM hot. See picture posted above....

You're correct. It doesn't look like you could even get ram sinks on the card either.

You would get some decent air cooling though. It might work. First time I have heard of the vf100. Sweet rig, dworley!

sleepeeg3 said:
You would get some decent air cooling though.

I wonder if that would be enough? If I could fit a TV Tuner and a X-Fi in I'd be super happy.

Jasonx82 said:
Gonna replace that aging audigy with a PPU ? :p

I think on mine at least that the onboard isn't that bad. Now I am just waiting til dworley gets a solution on how to run two 7900GTX's with a PPU.

Back