7900GTX Problem...

Humayun!

n00b
Hey Guys..

Okay so i've got a problem of a sort...

I am running a X2 3800+ on a,
ASUS A8N 32Sli Deluxe w/ a 7900GTX... on Vista.. Latest Drivers...

Now here is the deal:

This happens with everygame.. For e.g.

I ran COD4.. It runs fine for sometime.. Then the screen suddenly freezes and after 8-10 secs it resumes with degraded performance (Half the Frames and slightly jerky).. I minimized the game and saw that the Driver had crashed at that point and after that the Clock speeds had Reduced... Can anyone explain why that happens? Then even when i restarted the game.. The clock speeds wont go back.. =/ and i still get those half frames... =/ This is really irritating.. The Temps are normal.. I can't figure out whats going wrong.. :(
Untitled-1.jpg

Have you tried XP?

The 7900gtx is a great card, I had one, and I loved it (even though I had to RMA my first one due to bad memory/artifacting issues).

all i could think of is maybe some driver problems with vista. what version drivers you have installed? also check around cod4 forums for similar problems so u can make better sense of the problem

Could you post your full specs please. It will be helpful to know what you have to get hints what could be going on. Right now I am starting to suspect a faulty card.

Yeah i had been using XP... The Drivers didn't use to crash in XP but the game would still freeze and then resume with degraded performance..

Am using Forceware 169.25,

The Whole System Specs are
AMD 3800+ X2 Skt 939
ASUS A8N32 Sli-Deluxe
ASUS 7900GTX 512MB
2*1 GB OCZ DDR500
A 460 watt PSU

That is about it...

The symptoms scream overheating. I would make sure your fan is still running and verify that the temps you're seeing are accurate.

Okay so here is the interesting part... After much hassle..

The conclusion i came to, is..

I run Rivatuner everytime i play a game to monitor the Core clock levels and Temp levels.. Now usually 5 mins into the game, the game freezes followed by a Driver crash.. Now when i noticed the Graphs on Rivatuner, I saw that when the Core reaches 75 Degrees the Clocks Drop and the Driver crashes.. That is the time when the game freezes.. Now what i did was increase the Fan duty cycle to 100% and then ran a game.. The game ran fine for 20 mins and so did 3d Mark 06.. The max. temp recorded was 65...

So the conclusion i came to from this was that it is overheating.. Now the confusing part is, These cards can easily go uptill 115 Degrees... So why do the cores Slowdown at 75 =S... and how do i figure out if the temps being reported are correct or not? SpeedFAn doesn't show me my VGA's temps.. Ntune Crashes Vista.. So all i am left with is Rivatuner...

I think i will have to remove the Heatsink, and see whats going on beneath it.. Are there any guides to removing a 7900GTX heatsink?

i having the same thing happen on my sli 7800gtx 256 it has ran fine for over 1.5 years and is now giving me problems with cod4 any more feed back would be great
jesse

Back