7900gtx - turn off optimizations = X1900xtx IQ?

Thing is without the x1900xtx my case/fan set up is very quiet and I'm definitely sensitive to sound, being an audio guy for my living. The "whine" of the 1900 is annoying though, especially just sitting in idle. I wonder what I could do to quiet this thing up, too bad it doesn't use a 120mm fan! :)

Wait a second you said you ordered a 7900gtx . Now you have a x1900Xt what did you order it from beam me up scotty . LOL LOL LOL FUD FUD FUD you said you wondered how load it was! you said you were having buyers remorse !!! referring to ordering a 7900gtx You said what

AstroCat said:
Thing is without the x1900xtx my case/fan set up is very quiet and I'm definitely sensitive to sound, being an audio guy for my living. The "whine" of the 1900 is annoying though, especially just sitting in idle. I wonder what I could do to quiet this thing up, too bad it doesn't use a 120mm fan! :)
OH ya. LOL LOL

AstroCat said:
Ok, I just got a 7900gtx and I'm having a bit of buyers remorse. I know that the 1900 from ati is supposed to have better IQ and much less shimmering.

If you turn off all the AF optimizations for the 7900, like I always have with my 7800gtx, will the 7900gtx come close to or equal to the 1900 IQ, and shimmering?

I swear the 1900 would have been my first ati card, if it wasn't for the darned heat/noise problems I keep hearing about.

Any input would be appreciated! Thanks.

LOL LOL LOL we are we having fun yet

Yeah, I wanted to get the 7900 being a long time nvidia user and based on the reviews I had read.
I then just recently found out I could try out the 1900xtx for a bit from one of my sources. I took them up on the offer and now I'm gonna kick it around for a few days. What's the big deal?

I here a whining noise to but it isn't coming from the X1900Xt you don't have.

Were is Spoke when you need him . No no no we need Deta

Were the hell is Kirk! Captain to the Bridge

Silly rabbit

You Jane me Tarzan

Abandon ship were the hell is the captain

It doesn't compute

Spoke what should we do? I don't no Jim there"s know logic to it

Every man for himself

THAT'S ALL FOLKS LOONY TOONS

THE END

I went over and picked up the 1900xtx this evening.The 7900gtx showed up this afternoon as well. So, currently I now have both cards over here, so?
Sounds like your having a good evening. ;)

$BangforThe$ said:
Hay I got some swamp I mean I got a good deal for you on some beach properity

Yeah, ok buddy, whatever. I was just trying to work out the pros and cons of these 2 cards. I now have both here to test. One is on loan and the other I can keep or not, my choice. Plus, we have several systems here, it wouldn't be that big of a deal to get them both for testing. Not sure why your having such a hard time with this?

SO hows the IQ on the 7900 I bet its great can't tell the differance I don't see know shimmer

$BangforThe$ said:
SO hows the IQ on the 7900 I bet its great can't tell the differance I don't see know shimmer

The 7900 is still in the box, I'm going to check it out tomorrow. I am assuming it is going to be similiar to the 7800gtx as far as IQ.
I tried the 1900xtx first since I was most curious about it. With the 1900xtx I noticed almost right way the better IQ and lack of "shimmering" over the 7800gtx.

My main issue at this point with the 1900xtx is with the pitch of the fan noise. I might be able to mask it a bit with some acoustic foam in the enclosure the case sits in.

What do you have for Case and Cpu? You work in audio so what the db meter read If you don't have a meter a ocilascope well work you have to have one of them.

The box I'm currently working with I have:

Antec Solution SLK3000-B
and
AMD Athlon 64 4000+

I don't have my SPL meter here, it's in my office at work. I could use it to test the levels, but I don't need it to tell that the 1900xtx is louder than my 7800gtx. That was very obvious, plus as I said, it's the higher pitch of the fan that I don't like even more than the overall level.

Shadow27 said:
Some pic's would be handy ya know......

Of what, the cards... why not?

Here is the opened 1900 and the unopened 7900:

1900.jpg

7900.jpg

$BangforThe$ said:
You work in Audio so you know you can use white noise to mask it.

haha... your kidding right? White noise to mask the frequency of the fan. Yeah there's a plan... :rolleyes:

Yes, you could take something and make it louder so that you don't hear the original source, but that's just ridiculous.

I think you are thinking of phase cancellation, but that idea is just plain silly in this case.

Anyway, I know we've been just screwing around for a bit, and it's been fun :) But, really I just want a new card to have fun playing games with and whichever one has the least amount of issues will be it. :)

$BangforThe$ said:
Could you put them in the same pic all cozy like The rug looks differant in those pics

Oh geez, this getting just stupid. I lightened them up quickly in PS and, sorry I didn't save the same settings on both. Sheesh...

And why the heck should I jump through hoops for you?

I was just talking cards for fun, if you don't believe me, big deal. It's just plain stupid to make this crap up, why? What would be the point? To prove I have both cards? Why is that such a big deal?

Well I am a man of my word If you don't want that I will take it Off your hands..

Well test the sound tomorrow . I want to know the db at 1 1/2 feet..

If you have a scope get a sound measure ment with that also that would give a accurate measurement of the sealed case noise.

I am as well. You’re the one insinuating I am not being honest. Oh yeah, and I'm gonna run back to my office get my gear come back and test SPL on videocards for you on my Sat. afternoon... bahahahhaaa

I am just pointing out that I don't think I would have anything to gain by making up the fact that I have both cards here, or anything else that I've claimed.

I think I've taken the bait enough, but just for good measure...

both.jpg

I think we are done now. Have fun ... :)

You have to admitt you got the 7900 today and didn't open the box . and you already had the NV drivers installed . How do you know the NV hasn't all of the sudden come up with great IQ. Just no logic to this madnesss. But I do believe you now. But I will buy that from you I have to order 3 tomorrow anyway

$BangforThe$ said:
You have to admitt you got the 7900 today and didn't open the box . and you already had the NV drivers installed . How do you know the NV hasn't all of the sudden come up with great IQ.

Hahahaaa ... your too funny. Ok, last one. ;)

Had a 7800, got a 7900, got a 1900, very curious about 1900, installed it, noticed differences from 7800. Expect 7900 to be same IQ as 7800 based on reading reviews but interested in speed increase of the 7900 and to A/B with 1900.

$BangforThe$ said:
Have you never had a ATI befor your in for a treat. I hope you used driver cleaner.

Nope, first ATI ever... 3DFX -> Nvidia and now maybe ATI.

hehe... now that really is the last one for this evening. :)

NA i thought I was the fish on the hook. I am not going to even clean up those post were a made a fool out of my self. Well I forgot that tomorrow was Sat. Test it monday and post it on this thread.

Apple740 said:
In 2D, i don't hear my XTX over my 12cm casefan @ 1400rpm, it's inaudible. In 3D yes, you'll hear it. For me no problem because i use a headset while gaming.

Personally, i don't consider a aftermarket cooler like the Axelero which is quiet in 3D too because i like the concept of the stock cooler. It sucks all the hot air out of the case, it works like a casefan. It helps keeping you mobo chipset cool too.

Yep...works for me also. no way i hear the XTX when playing FPS games. :D

hey bang im guessing your shop is somewhere in america? i dont want to take an aeroplane there to see the iq difference...can you post some pics of the same game with both cards? it would help my next purchase greatly :)

thnx

I recently tested this out with CounterStrike Source and an nVidia 7800GTX at clock speeds. All tests were done with the built in CS:S video stress test demo with max settings and 4x AA and 8x AF. The first set of numbers are with control panel optimizations ON ('Quality' setting), the second number is with optimizations OFF ('High Quality' setting). Gamma correct AA, SSTRAA, and Negative LOD Bias clamp were enabled for all tests:

1024x768:
188.03 > 183.84

1152x864:
182.55 > 174.29

1280x960:
176.07 > 160.98

1600x1200:
130.59 > 116.90

Here are some stock X1900XT #s with Catalyst AI disabled, HQAF enabled, TRAA enabled, and 4xAA\16x AF:
1024x768: 189.30
1152x864: 181.92
1280x960: 178.04
1600x1200: 141.71

This is a stupid question but I just can't make a decision for myself so I would like some input.

I want to get a 1900XTX and water cool it. Newegg has the OEM Sapphire version of it for quite a bit less than a retail version of the card. The retail has a good warranty while the less expensive OEM does not. Since I am water cooling should I always go for spending more and getting a warranty in case of something goes bad?

Thanks for any advice on a rather triviaul issue, it has been bugging me for a few days now.

this thread has a lot of bad information...mostly due to everybody's lack of knowledge. "i think ati has better hq because ati has a reputation" "i think nvidia's iq is worse because blah blah balh" if you look on any hardware site that uses the same settings that compares the new ati and nvidia cards (hard), they are similar. neither card is noticeably superior, but ati seems to pull out better iq in the majority of the games that i've personally seen. i didn't justify the better ati iq (barely noticeable. not noticeable of you're on a nvidia card) so i personally went with a 7800gt (and i've never seen this "shimmering" everybody talks about). if you went with nvidia it was a good choice. if you went with ati, i'm sure it was a good choice as well. the difference in iq is barely noticeable and nobody should base their decision on iq, because that simply shouldn't be the deciding factor.

aa,af, and drivers are a different story.

Ok, did some more testing this afternoon.

1. For sure, for sure the x1900xtx has definitely noticeably better IQ and much, much less shimmering than the Nvidia solution.

2. It's louder than the 7800 series but not as loud as a 6800ultra we have here. When it speeds up to 3d mode it doesn't bother me that much over the sound of my speakers, masking is done pretty well.
The 2d mode "whine" is a little annoying.

3. I've tried BF2 and COD2 to try and push the card and I haven't noticed any visual glitches that I don't see on the Nvidia as well. And, as I said the image is cleaner, much less texture crawling and shimmering.

I must admit the card is growing on my more and more. I will play with it for a few more days and see how it goes.

johnnq said:
this thread has a lot of bad information...mostly due to everybody's lack of knowledge. "i think ati has better hq because ati has a reputation" "i think nvidia's iq is worse because blah blah balh" if you look on any hardware site that uses the same settings that compares the new ati and nvidia cards (hard), they are similar. neither card is noticeably superior, but ati seems to pull out better iq in the majority of the games that i've personally seen. i didn't justify the better ati iq (barely noticeable. not noticeable of you're on a nvidia card) so i personally went with a 7800gt (and i've never seen this "shimmering" everybody talks about). if you went with nvidia it was a good choice. if you went with ati, i'm sure it was a good choice as well. the difference in iq is barely noticeable and nobody should base their decision on iq, because that simply shouldn't be the deciding factor.

aa,af, and drivers are a different story.

I disagree, since we're buying video cards which output an image, image quality is definetly a deciding factor for me. I would rather have a slightly slower card, but with better image quality. And since the x1900 and 7900's are so close together speed wise, the image quality difference is definetly worth taking into consideration.

But that's just me :)

Seyba said:
This is a stupid question but I just can't make a decision for myself so I would like some input.

I want to get a 1900XTX and water cool it. Newegg has the OEM Sapphire version of it for quite a bit less than a retail version of the card. The retail has a good warranty while the less expensive OEM does not. Since I am water cooling should I always go for spending more and getting a warranty in case of something goes bad?

Thanks for any advice on a rather triviaul issue, it has been bugging me for a few days now.

I believe that by removing the stock cooler, you are voiding the warranty anyway, so you might as well get the cheaper card.

AstroCat said:
My main issue at this point with the 1900xtx is with the pitch of the fan noise. I might be able to mask it a bit with some acoustic foam in the enclosure the case sits in.
Zalman cu700 and you will forget the card is in your case AND run a few C's cooler!

Back