7950 GT?

Stu55

[H]ard|Gawd
So is there any facts that point to say that this is going to be a real card that is comming out or what? It interests me but it doesn't sound too much different from the 7900 GT's with 512mb of ram out right now.

if it was a 7900gt with 512mb ram then its basically a 7900gtx so the 7950 could be just a lower clocked 7950gx2

Well it is only a single gpu though, and it is a little slower clocked than the 7900 GTX but higher clocked than the 7900 GT "allegedly".

Nope, just a 512mb 7900GT with slightly higher clocks...I'm pretty sure its just a refresh, designed to replace the original 7900GT.

Anybody else think it sounds like they're dumping the 7900GT, considering the 7950GT is even supposed to come out at the same price as current 7900GT's?

Unknown-One said:
Nope, just a 512mb 7900GT with slightly higher clocks...I'm pretty sure its just a refresh, designed to replace the original 7900GT.

Anybody else think it sounds like they're dumping the 7900GT, considering the 7950GT is even supposed to come out at the same price as current 7900GT's?
Yup, the 7900 name was tarnished by all the problems so they're taking a card that already exists under the 7900GT 512mb name, bumping the speeds a little, adding HDCP and giving it a new name. It's just subliminal marketing to use the "7950" since the GX2 has been a success....but very confusing to people who don't spend half their lives browsing tech forums and think it really is a cheaper version of the dual gpu 7950GX2.

Yeah, at first I was like, 2 7900 GT's in one for $300 you have to be kidding, and yeah I have heard that it was supposed to phase out the 7900 GT.

Domini said:
if it was a 7900gt with 512mb ram then its basically a 7900gtx so the 7950 could be just a lower clocked 7950gx2
Why do some of you think this? Its not the 50 in 7950GX2 that has to do with having two gpus its the GX2. There was a 7900GX2 before there was a 7950GX2. The 7950GT will be a single gpu card. Why is this so hard to understand? :rolleyes:

trek554 said:
Why do some of you think this? Its not the 50 in 7950GX2 that has to do with having two gpus its the GX2. There was a 7900GX2 before there was a 7950GX2. The 7950GT will be a single gpu card. Why is this so hard to understand? :rolleyes:

because the naming structure doesnt make it obvious??

No you clearly dont see the problem.
You already knew how the naming scheme works, you make a big assumption that everyone knows the correct information.
If everyone knows the correct info, what would be the need to ask questions about such things?
Yes everyone can look things up with a little work, but some have a harder time doing this than others so Forums like this can be useful when the 'helpful' members answer.

People come here for help or to contribute what they feel is right not to be told that they think irrationally, especially when they dont.

Why we think things is because thats what we are led to believe or the information is misleading etc.
It doesnt make us any less intelligent, it just means that we have received info that can be misleading or relies on knowing other information.

If I were to say to you I've made 4 versions of my product, I name them
Corker A1
Corker Z4
Corker G9
Cracker P2

Which is the fastest and which has the most processors?

Chernobyl1 said:
No you clearly dont see the problem.
You already knew how the naming scheme works, you make a big assumption that everyone knows the correct information.
If everyone knows the correct info, what would be the need to ask questions about such things?
Yes everyone can look things up with a little work, but some have a harder time doing this than others so Forums like this can be useful when the 'helpful' members answer.

People come here for help or to contribute what they feel is right not to be told that they think irrationally, especially when they dont.

Why we think things is because thats what we are led to believe or the information is misleading etc.
It doesnt make us any less intelligent, it just means that we have received info that can be misleading or relies on knowing other information.
I know things can get confusing but I want to make it clear that the 7950GT is just an enhanced 7900GT. I had someone argue with me already in another thread about this even though I posted a link to exact specs for the 7950GT. I just want people stop thinking because the see 7950 that it must be a dual gpu. GX2 is what means dual gpu not the 50.

trek554 said:
I know things can get confusing but I want to make it clear that the 7950GT is just an enhanced 7900GT. I had someone argue with me already in another thread about this even though I posted a link to exact specs for the 7950GT. I just want people stop thinking because the see 7950 that it must be a dual gpu. GX2 is what means dual gpu not the 50.

Cool.
People will think what they do regardless of if you like it or not.
They post here to ask questions about what they want, the thread is about their needs not yours.
Go easier on them :)

Yeah I was confused at first, so is this going to be a good card, is 512mb really worth it? When is G80 supposed to be comming out?

Stu55 said:
Yeah I was confused at first, so is this going to be a good card, is 512mb really worth it? When is G80 supposed to be comming out?

Its a wise option to have 512MB but it does depend how long you want the card for.
At the moment, 256MB gives pretty good performance and is a good economic solution.
If you want to experiment with all the max quality settings, you will want 512MB.

So it does make a difference, I thought that the ram didn't affect it that much.

trek554 said:
I've been a member of this forum since early 2k and I've been browsing tech websites since the early days when Tom's Hardware was just about the only site that had more than one page of info...I've got over 25 tech sites bookmarked to browse every day. Guess what popped into my mind when I saw "7950GT"...yep, I was thinking a dual gpu card that maybe had some crippled pipelines or 512 total mb of ram instead of 1GB. Of course anyone that knows how to read specs will soon find out this is not the case but you can't deny that the "7950" attempts to separate the card from the 7900 series and associate it with the 7950GX2 which has been a resounding success even though many can't afford one. The "GX2" may make perfect sense to you but maybe not the average computer enthusiast who just wants "faster" or "better" without knowing all the dirty technical details.

Stu55 said:
So it does make a difference, I thought that the ram didn't affect it that much.

The more graphics memory you have the more/larger textures it can hold.
Some games have Ultra high quality settings that need more than 256MB to hold all the textures in one go.

Such as Doom3 (meh doesn't look all that much different on Ultra anyhow). Fakefactory's Cinematic Mod for HL2 makes it look amazing. Recommends a 512MB card for it too.

I just got my 7900gt 512mb, and I'm liking the overall ease of use and general performance of this card across all my games better than my SLI 7900gt 256mb cards I had before. Bear in mind I run at 1920x1200, so the 512mb is making a big difference to me.

I know that's hard for a lot of people to hear, but there it is.

The 7950gt should be nothing more than the card I just got but with HDCP support. It's a good card, if you can get one for a decent price, get one. Unfortunately I'm noticing that the prices for the 7900gt 512 has gone up $30-50 in the last few days making it too expensive for what it is. Hopefully in a few weeks the 7950gt launch will bring the prices back to where they should be.

If you aren't running above 1280x1024, then there is still no pressing need for the 512mb.

Well I run at 1600x1200 so :). What is/what does HDCP support do/support?

Stu55 said:
Well I run at 1600x1200 so :). What is/what does HDCP support do/support?
Not a damn thing if you don't plan on watching High def movies/video on your monitor. All it does is allow HD content that is protected by HDCP to be viewed on your monitor....because you can't record/copy the content at the full HD resolution.

Oh High Definition Copy Protection, I guess that is pretty useless to me. So if I were to buy a video card soon, probably when/if that 7950 GT comes out i would just like to get the 7900 GT 512MB because that would probably go down in price right?

Stu55 said:
Oh High Definition Copy Protection, I guess that is pretty useless to me. So if I were to buy a video card soon, probably when/if that 7950 GT comes out i would just like to get the 7900 GT 512MB because that would probably go down in price right?
most of the 7900GT 512MB cards will probably be discontinued when the 7950GT comes out.

joemama said:
Not a damn thing if you don't plan on watching High def movies/video on your monitor. All it does is allow HD content that is protected by HDCP to be viewed on your monitor....because you can't record/copy the content at the full HD resolution.
If you're upgrading to Vista you'll need an HDCP card...

CrimandEvil said:
If you're upgrading to Vista you'll need an HDCP card...
why? I thought you only "needed" one if your doing what joemama said.

Chernobyl1 said:
If I were to say to you I've made 4 versions of my product, I name them
Corker A1
Corker Z4
Corker G9
Cracker P2

Which is the fastest and which has the most processors?

It is obvious!
In order of slowest to fastest:

Corker G9
Corker A1
Corker Z4
Cracker P2 (two cores)

Notice that the letters line up to spell "Gazp", which is the extreme or "leet" spelling for
"Gasp", as in these video cards are so fast they make me "Gazp".

Why are people referring to the 7950GX2 card as "when it comes out"?

There are people who are running these damn things in SLi and using it as a QUAD Core already.

Not to mention the awesome thread in the "DISPLAYS" section where a DELL 30incher is powered by DUAL LINK DVI cards such as the 7950GX2.

The 7950GX2 has been around for a good couple of months now.

BoredTiger said:
Why are people referring to the 7950GX2 card as "when it comes out"?

There are people who are running these damn things in SLi and using it as a QUAD Core already.

Not to mention the awesome thread in the "DISPLAYS" section where a DELL 30incher is powered by DUAL LINK DVI cards such as the 7950GX2.

The 7950GX2 has been around for a good couple of months now.
you might want to put those glasses back on. this thread is about the 7950GT not 7950GX2. :rolleyes:

mentok1982 said:
It is obvious!
In order of slowest to fastest:

Corker G9
Corker A1
Corker Z4
Cracker P2 (two cores)

Notice that the letters line up to spell "Gazp", which is the extreme or "leet" spelling for
"Gasp", as in these video cards are so fast they make me "Gazp".

lol :)

Back