7950 GX2 Question

TeeJay

Gawd
Hi guys

I think this card is drawing too much power from the PSU...And it's causing lines on my screen sometimes, happens with my HD5770 too...Anyway...I think it's a PSU problem, so the question is:

Can I temporarily turn off\shut down one of the cards and have one on only?

Why not just remove one card?

But to answer your question: short answer: no. Long answer: only with certain Nvidia chipsets and video cards could you actually turn off the GPU. Unfortunately, you have the 7950GX2 which cannot be turned off.

What PSU do you have?

If your HD 5770 has this issue as well, the power supply won't be the reason. The GX2 eats so much more power that you shouldn't be able even run it...

I have a cheapo AcBel iPower 660 PSU

What could be the problem\solution then?

Could still be the PSU. Dirty power. Get a PSU tester if you can or use a multimeter if you cannot. Checking the +12v and +5v is easy under load as you can prob a molex connector and keep an eye on the +12v and +5v rails undervarrying loads while you let the PC sit at your desktop and while you run 3DMark06. IT's a good place to start. The other is to borrow someones PSU and at least retest with the HD 5770.

Check your system. DL the latest UBCD here. Test your memory and run at least one system stability test. Also, if your system is OC'd then lose the OC and recheck to see if you are still getting lines.

I have a cheapo AcBel iPower 660 PSU

What could be the problem\solution then?

The fact that your PSU was only capable of 300W of power:
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/552/1

Shit I remember you now. Dude, just drop a video card as you're definitely stressing that piece of shit PSU with a HD 5770 and a 7950GX2 combined with the following specs you listed in another post:
Crosshair III
PhII 965 C3
Mushkin 1600 4GB (2x2GB)
Sapphire 5770
Creative Fatal1ty Pro series 7.1 channel card
1 x 320GB sata HDD
1 x DVD RW Drive

So in other words, GET A NEW PSU. Even with just a single HD 5770, I would still recommend getting a new PSU.

Back