7970 WindForce numbers

masscrazy

Weaksauce
So i'm running the Gigabyte 7970 WindForce at 1187mV 1125/1510 @ 86C max temp/100% fan speed.

This does not seem that good to me from what I've read, people with stock 7979s get this at third of the fan speed. I've had it for 5 days and have two days to decide on whether or not i should keep.

Considering those number what would you do/suggest.

What are your ambient temps? Hows your case air flow?

Ambient around 24C max. Case is the defineXL has 3 front intake fans with another 140mm and 120mm inside the case blowing air direct onto gpu. Current idle temps are 49C with the above overclocks in place.

I'll admit when I read the thread title I thought of the Diablo II weapon :( May 15th don't fail me now

I'd check the thermal paste/pad contact with the core first

I'll admit when I read the thread title I thought of the Diablo II weapon :( May 15th don't fail me now

I'd check the thermal paste/pad contact with the core first

Hmm not touching the gfx card cooler, either its good or not good in which case it goes back.

TBH however, i dont think theres anything wrong with the card just not very impressive, considering its a custom cooled card.

What are the chances i get a worse card, any 7970s anyone care to recommend...

Based on the results that [H] got with the same card, I'd say you have an issue. I'd pull the side off the case and retest it, to see if it's the card or the enviroment. iirc [H] was in the 50c range with this card, my Accelero keeps my card below 50c. Your card tops out at 86c, but your feeding it 49c air, so the temp delta is 37c, if your case was in the 30c range, you would be at 67c. Personaly I feel 49c is way too high. If pulling the side drops your GPU temps by 20c, it's time to rethink your case flow

There technically nothing 'wrong' with your card in the eyes of Gigabyte. Anything bellow 100C is what they consider to be okay. Repasting really isnt that hard. I made a thread not too long ago about it. Check it out:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1690568

My card didnt really even needed but I wanted to see if I could improve it. Overall temps have dropped 3C overall. I would imagine your results would be much better. Unless your just getting terrible airflow. Make sure the fans blowing on the GPU arent preventing the hot air from escaping from the card as well. These cards vent hot air from all sides and if something is blowing on the exhaust area then it will hinder performance. Try sucking hot air away from the gpu.

Are you running eyefinity? I see 3 monitors in your sig. If so, therein lies the problem or rather, the reason.

That seems way too hot.
My temps were lower than that with a higher OC in a CFx setup with lower fan speeds.

Hmm not touching the gfx card cooler, either its good or not good in which case it goes back.

TBH however, i dont think theres anything wrong with the card just not very impressive, considering its a custom cooled card.

What are the chances i get a worse card, any 7970s anyone care to recommend...

I was able to max out the CCC OC with no problem using a stock 7970 with no voltage adjustments. Load temps are in the low 70's with auto fan control (it certainly does not reach anywhere near 100%, not sure exactly how high it goes, but it's not louder than it was when left at stock clocks). I have an open air set up though.

Ah well leaving my side door off, the temps drop to mid 70 as opposed to mid 80 when closed.

I only game on a single 1440p monitor, the other 2 are 1200p so no eyefinity for me, would be cool tho.

But im pretty sure i'll be sending it back now, will cost me £15 but i see prices going down very slightly and prices for 680 going down aswell cos of the 670.

Not if you are using multiple monitors. Trying plugging in just one monitor and see what it idles at.

Not if you are using multiple monitors. Trying plugging in just one monitor and see what it idles at.

They're not on atm and at stock speeds temp is 44C, take away 5C as my case is adding 10C on load so around 40C idle.

Pretty decent but this is a stock on a custom cooled 7970, at load 86C is no good and too loud at 100% so its going back.

Back