8.10 hotfix Drivers cheat on FC2

Most important question to them is... Have they fixed the multigpu scaling in the game yet?

What can I say? My tolerance for minor graphical glitches is higher than my tolerance for marketing shills :p.

After looking at some of the pictures of both the rocks and the trash, I still don't know that it's something that would stand out unless I knew specifically to look for it. Maybe I'd have to see it in-game for it to look more obvious, but just looking at screenshots, it looks like partially buried trash.

To be honest, I'm far more concerned with the reports I've been hearing from users as far as poor performance in this game with HD4870s (not everyone has a freakin' HD4870X3 setup like you :eek:), because that's something that could actually seriously affect my gameplay and ability to kill the baddies.

for poor 4870 performance try the FPS cap .. it works better with the regular 8-10 cats

IF you played on both a GTX280 and a 4870 you would see things are a bit different in game

My *hope* is that the new fixed Hotfix will address these issues. i am not feeling bad for my part in bringing this real issue to AMD's attention - for all of us playing this AAA title on 4870s
:cool:

i get decent scaling with CF in FC2:

4870 1GB
19x12 – 35.75 58.77 28.26
16x10 – 37.55 68.17 30.17

4870x2
19x12 – 61.29 83.47 45.12
16x10 – 63.57 92.80 46.29

4870x3 CF = 4870x2 +4870/1GB
19x12 – 73.33 113.12 49.03
16x10 – 73.61 114.03 49.37

as a comparison:

GTX280 178.24
19x12 – 37.3 48.95 30.65
16x10 – 43.53 67.27 36.31

I wasn't questioning your credibility. That wasn't the implication.

It was pretty clever of them to get regular members to participate and present the findings, instead of having Rollo coming in and telling us that "hey, look what the Nvidia PR department would like you guys to know about AMD". (That particular admission, that his "tip" came from Nvidia itself didn't come until the very last page of that thread, which resulted in the thread lock, it would seem.)

If you had found out those issues by yourself, without Rollo's handiwork, we wouldn't be having this discussion. It's being shilled by PR types that I really dislike...

I don't have a problem with NVIDIA bringing this forward, it is just so many will run with it without asking AMD about it and getting their side of the story. That is bullshit.

When we busted ATI on Quake/Quack, yes, it was brought to us by NVIDIA, and we then did all our own testing and took our findings to ATI....which denied the entire thing, which we thought was bullshit. And they still deny it to this day on the record. (The day the benchmark died.)

A good thing to do with things like this is to bug report it to AMD/ATi. I think the crowing of some about intentional cheats is off the mark.

For those that don't know how to do that, create an account below and use the "My Support" tab. I report problems I discover to AMD/ATi all the time.

https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894
i have done this before and will do it again. it takes generally takes weeks to go thru these channels. However, when a "fix" for a brand new AAA title that promises a performance increase yet comes out and is so clearly and obviously *broken*, time is of the essence. There will be many people disgusted with the hotfix - didn't you hear all the forum complaints about 4870 performance? .. and i was glad to post a potential and probably effective workaround for it.

i posted news .. and i am not in the habit of consulting with anyone before i do this. Mostly i find i am ignored - or worse "hushed up". And you have to realize that my "start" as a writer is as an investigative journalist. i also never pass judgment as i report my findings. Others may; not me - you didn't see any hint about cheating in ANY of my articles or even forum posts on this matter.

i already pre-knew "AMD's side of the story" .. it is a bug. Clearly. What else? And what else would they say? It is sloppy, that is all, imo. Maybe a little embarrassing, but everyone makes mistakes - so what! The point is to get it fixed and before i finish the damn game!! My friend already has waded thru the bugs; fortunately he plays on Nvidia graphics [he says it is a cool ending].

i chose to report this and i would do the same for any company if it happened in this manner. Some may think it is BS, but each chooses how they will do things for themselves and for their site. i was also very clear in my report that the hotfix was beta and noted that there was a strong disclaimer on the ATi/AMD site. i also applaud that AMD addressed it quickly.
i am looking forward to playing FC2 today on my CF-x3 rig.

i posted news .. and i am not in the habit of consulting with anyone before i do this.

No, you did not post news. You did your own story on a NVIDIA PR planted story meant to discredit AMD. And you ran with it. Don't call it something it is not. Because we all already know.

Edit: And if you are going to be in the news business, I would highly suggest at least an attempt at proper grammar and sentence structure. But you probably pre-knew that as well. ;)

i have done this before and will do it again. it takes generally takes weeks to go thru these channels. However, when a "fix" for a brand new AAA title that promises a performance increase yet comes out and is so clearly and obviously *broken*, time is of the essence. There will be many people disgusted with the hotfix - didn't you hear all the forum complaints about 4870 performance? .. and i was glad to post a potential and probably effective workaround for it.

Kudos to you for reporting ideas to improve performance on the HD 4870 in FC2.

i posted news .. and i am not in the habit of consulting with anyone before i do this. Mostly i find i am ignored - or worse "hushed up". And you have to realize that my "start" as a writer is as an investigative journalist. i also never pass judgment as i report my findings. Others may; not me - you didn't see any hint about cheating in ANY of my articles or even forum posts on this matter.

Right or wrong, this news bothers some because it was provided by nVidia via Rollo. You did verify the bug exists before reporting it. I didn't suggest you were the one crowing about cheating. You are not. Others are doing that. I only saw your work because it was posted here at [H]ard and Anandtech.

i already pre-knew "AMD's side of the story" .. it is a bug. Clearly. What else? And what else would they say? It is sloppy, that is all, imo. Maybe a little embarrassing, but everyone makes mistakes - so what! The point is to get it fixed and before i finish the damn game!! My friend already has waded thru the bugs; fortunately he plays on Nvidia graphics [he says it is a cool ending].

You cover this well by quoting AMD's disclaimer early on in your article. It is also good to remember AMD do not always have the same early access to work with TWIMTBP titles as nVidia might.

i chose to report this and i would do the same for any company if it happened in this manner. Some may think it is BS, but each chooses how they will do things for themselves and for their site. i was also very clear in my report that the hotfix was beta and noted that there was a strong disclaimer on the ATi/AMD site. i also applaud that AMD addressed it quickly.

It's worth mentioning and I feel others have blown it out of proportion. I find your suggestions for improving performance in FC2 on the HD 4870 far more interesting and to each their own on that.

I will agree to disagree with you and not repeat my reasoning over again nor attempt to defend what needs no defense from me. My mind is pre-made up for my own editorials and news; yet i thank-you for your suggestions and criticism. i have been in the news business for a very long time, although not associated with any tech site until recently. My forum posting lack of style will always be different than in my formal articles. To each his own.

i already pre-knew your own position on this matter with AMD's hotfix drivers. Thank-you for allowing me to give my view here. i won't continue to debate with anyone here on it; i have my own forum. i wish all the continued best to you and to your site and forum.

Bye :D

Why is there so much hatred on this forum ?

why do people want to continue to argue until everyone else accepts that they are right ?

why can't you be wrong ?

Hey apoppin... if you are posting news or running a website feel free to PM me for my direct email address. As Kyle will tell you, I am very accesible and always willing to help squash bugs. I dont think there are any journalists that post driver stories that dont have a connect line to me.

Looking forward to any bug reports you may find (either on your own or with help from "them")

I will agree to disagree with you and not repeat my reasoning over again nor attempt to defend what needs no defense from me. My mind is pre-made up for my own editorials and news; yet i thank-you for your suggestions and criticism. i have been in the news business for a very long time, although not associated with any tech site until recently. My forum posting lack of style will always be different than in my formal articles. To each his own.

i already pre-knew your own position on this matter with AMD's hotfix drivers. Thank-you for allowing me to give my view here. i won't continue to debate with anyone here on it; i have my own forum. i wish all the continued best to you and to your site and forum.

How do you acquire this "pre-knew"???? Is it something like assumption???
I "pre-knew" you were an nvidia supporter when I looked at your "rock collection".

Well anyway, good luck in your future reporting.:D

yesterday i was playing Far Cry 2.. (4870, ATI hotfix, 8.10)..

i saw an enemy in front of me. he levitated up at least 20 ft off the ground. then i sniped him and he fell down to the ground.

you posted bullshit, not news, well you got your 15 mins of unwanted fame for it..........

Back