8 Bit LCD Monitors/10 Bit LCD TV's

Draziom

Limp Gawd
why are LCD monitors still at a low 8 bit when LCD TV's have a good solid 10 bit? its ridiculous.

Its not, its pretty new and taking time to filter into new products.
How many graphics cards have you heard of that support 10 bit colour or higher?

dont LCD tv's have graphic cards/chips? it depends on the monitors color chip and for LCD its a measily 8 bit and for LCD tv's its 10 bits. the difference in picture and color quality is seen between these 2 chips.

Most videocards don't support 10 bit color so it doesn't really matter.
Color support is independent of the monitor so if you have a video card that has 8bits and a 10bit monitor you still have 8bit.

Keep your panties on. Its coming. As soon more monitors add display port and cards with display port start getting released it will happen. Its probably still 6-12 monthes thing.

Keep in mind your current 8 bit connection is not a big enough of a data pipe to pump 10 bit color. 10 bit color on the PCs is all about adoption of display port.

Sorry for the necro, but I'd just like to point out that 10-bit colour doesn't do much if your source content isn't also 10-bit.

ps. Bluray movies are 8-bit.

why are LCD monitors still at a low 8 bit when LCD TV's have a good solid 10 bit? its ridiculous.
The manufacturers often speak of a 10bit panel if it allows for a 10bit data feed from the internal electronic. A 8bit panel with internal FRC (instead of implementing it @scaler stage) fulfills this requirement too. However: This is quite transparent for you as user. Much more important is a precise transformation of the input signal to avoid a loss of tonal values regarding the input signal.

Computer displays don't suffer from a technological "underdevelopment" compared with TVs. The displays aimed at the graphic arts industry offer for example LUT implementations >=10bit per channel (or an accordant 3D-LUT) and therefore allow a lossless and very precise signal processing. Some screens even have a real 10bit panel although this is quite rare (see first passage) and by far not as important as it sounds.

Best regards

Denis

Last edited:
IIRC there are a handful of true 10-bit panels but they're targeted at designers. I think the LaCie 324 has a true 10-bit panel...it's about $1300.

I think the LaCie 324 has a true 10-bit panel...it's about $1300.
No (see my note about the nomenclature) but the few 24" IPS screens with RGB-LED blu are using a real 10bit panel (HP LP2480zx, LGW2420R, Quato IP240ex LED).

Best regards

Denis

Back