8 core dell barebones $729

/dev/null

[H]F Junkie
The $729 build is 2 * 5310 (1.6ghz), 1G ram (2 * 512) & $80 hard disk. The only upgrade from dells site that makes sense is the disk
80G -> 160G would be + $20
80G -> 250G would be + $50

You could also go from 5310's to 5320's for $150 (1.6->1.86) or 5335's (1.6->2.0) for $450.

Saw this on hot-deals. Not sure if this works without referring from hot-deals or not, so I'm posting the hot-deals.org link.
edit: hot deals.org link seems to have problems, posting direct dell link. Check http://www.hot-deals.org/ if you want to see the deal listed there.

Link
Switch to 5310, then put in a 2nd 5310 and the price should stay at $729.

I'd reccomend going from 80g -> 160g for $20 or possibly 250G for $50.

512 Ram Upgrade

1G ram upgrade

2G ram upgrade

250G sata (seagate)

Edit: Specs indicate the following expansion slots: 2 * 64-bit 100mhz pci-x slots, two x8 pci-e slots (electrically pci-e x4), 1 legacy pci slot.
Link: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/sc1430/multlang/GSG/DAO_BCC/TD272A00.pdf

Umm 8 cores, lets see if we can beat this deal by making our own 8 cores.

1. 2 x Q6600 = $ 532
2. 2 X 1GB RAM = $ 45
3. 320GB = $49
4. 500 WATTS PSU = $ 29
5. Dual Slot Motherboard = $ 150 ( I think)
6. Computer Case = $ 29

Total = $ 834

Umm not a bad deal then. ;)

i'm sorely tempted to dump all my systems, get this rig and virtualize EVERYTHING.

Why did you do this to me?!?

Downsides I see to this deal: You probably get the slowest QC's available. Make sure they will work for you. No pci-e x16 if you are a gamer.

Upsides: PCI-X for the win!

For my needs this would work nicely, but considering I have:

2, dual 275 boxes
1, dual 248 box
a 260he sitting aroun

I probably don't need another 8 cores :)

1. 2 x Q6600 = $ 532
2. 2 X 1GB RAM = $ 45
3. 320GB = $49
4. 500 WATTS PSU = $ 29
6. Computer Case = $ 29

Total = $ 834

Can you put 2 Q6600's in a single board? I kind of doubt it....If anyone knows of a dual 775 board please post.

Can you put 2 Q6600's in a single board? I kind of doubt it....If anyone knows of a dual 775 board please post.

neaux, you need that 771 form factor which allows for more than one socket on that FSB. the ONLY DOWNSIDE is that you must have FB-DIMMS.

Thinking back in the days they used to network several computers to render a 3D artwork to be used in the movies.

This isn't something I would normally look into... but this deal is very tempting.
Does anyone have any information about the Dell motherboard?

It sounds more tempting than it actually is, IMO. He's linked to a page of specs on that mobo earlier.

FB-DIMMS the killer in this deal....

Especially with that many cores- you better feed it gobs of memory!

FB Dimms aren't terribly expensive.....but iirc intel has already stated they will be moving away from them. Your only option for 8 cores currently, w/o fbdimms is amd. You will still require ecc registered.

You should be able to pick up a cheap board at the egg for $300'ish and 2 qc's for $500. Still more expensive than the dell deal.

No such thing. To go dual quad core, you MUST use S771. So the quoted poster's 2xq6600 is a wash. However, the price is close and this is a good deal.

It would look more like this:

2x Xeon E5310 ($236ea)
1x Supermicro X7DAL-E ($400)
1x 2x1gb Kingston FB-DIMM ($136)
1x 600+w PSU ($200)
1x e-atx case ($150)
1x 320gb hdd ($85)

Total: $1443 +- a few.

No such thing. To go dual quad core, you MUST use S771. So the quoted poster's 2xq6600 is a wash. However, the price is close and this is a good deal.

It would look more like this:

2x Xeon E5310 ($236ea)
1x Supermicro X7DAL-E ($400)
1x 2x1gb Kingston FB-DIMM ($136)
1x 600+w PSU ($200)
1x e-atx case ($150)
1x 320gb hdd ($85)

Total: $1443 +- a few.

No you Don't !

1. 2 x Q6600 = $ 532
2. 2 X 1GB RAM = $ 45
3. 320GB = $49
4. 500 WATTS PSU = $ 29
6. Computer Case = $ 29

Total = $ 834

1. No dual s775 board made.
2. Your ram is non-EEC, multi processor systems require EEC ram generally.
3. Where are you buying your 320gb?
4. Your PSU doesn't appear to be something I would want to support my server, or any box for that matter.
5. Dual slot? a Q6600 is NOT a slot processor
6. What case are you buying that can hold an extended ATX form factor for that price?

Would windows vista even support 8 cores or would it have to be a server OS?

Should, is 2 physical processors.

IMO, if you are looking at an 8 core system, running a desktop OS shouldn't even be thought of....

Should, is 2 physical processors.

IMO, if you are looking at an 8 core system, running a desktop OS shouldn't even be thought of....

I was considering it for ripping and encoding Blu Ray and HD DVD movies. Or would it not be that great for doing that?

i'm sorely tempted to dump all my systems, get this rig and virtualize EVERYTHING.

Why did you do this to me?!?

same here, ya op!! great job.. now you just make me want to get that system!! does anybody wants to buy my intel pc? for $1000+ ? :D hehe. This would be the ultimate folding machine!

I was considering it for ripping and encoding Blu Ray and HD DVD movies. Or would it not be that great for doing that?

If you got that kind of cash for just ripping stuff....wanna buy me one?:D

If you got that kind of cash for just ripping stuff....wanna buy me one?:D

It wouldnt be just for that. I'd use it as my regular comp as well (internet, Adobe CS3, ect), hence wanting to put Vista on it. I'd just be needing the extra power for dealing with the movies. And while im sure its more power then I would need, wouldnt hurt for when Im doing graphics work. :D

As you can see from my sig, I need a new rig anyway lol.

It wouldnt be just for that. I'd use it as my regular comp as well (internet, Adobe CS3, ect), hence wanting to put Vista on it. I'd just be needing the extra power for dealing with the movies. And while im sure its more power then I would need, wouldnt hurt for when Im doing graphics work. :D

What software for ripping and encoding would even use 8 cores? Ive seen 4 cores but not 8?

Seriously man, this is a hellva deal. You can't even build a woodcrest system for this price.

Not to mention, more is always better :)

This is a great deal, plus you should just pad mod the processors to 1333 fsb. Too bad for the 8x PCIe slots, guess you could always cut the ends open like they used to do with the old SCs and get a 16x card in there. Might even allow crossfire...:p

Awesome deal, can anyone find a picture of the inside of this case, just curious how the drive setup is in there. I can see in the spec sheet it says 4 Max but am just curious on the layout.

This is a great deal, plus you should just pad mod the processors to 1333 fsb. Too bad for the 8x PCIe slots, guess you could always cut the ends open like they used to do with the old SCs and get a 16x card in there. Might even allow crossfire...:p
any how-to for the pad mod?

Sorry I haven't been keeping up with memory technology, but
can you add 2Gb to this system, or do you have to remove the 1Gb memory already in there?

Sorry I haven't been keeping up with memory technology, but
can you add 2Gb to this system, or do you have to remove the 1Gb memory already in there?

You can add, but you'll want 4 like sticks for quad channel.

I love how they still nickel & dime on optical drives.. aside from that rip-off the price rocks!

• 48X CD-ROM Drive [add $99]
  • 48X CD-RW/DVD ROM Drive [add $99]
  • 16X DVD-ROM Drive [add $99]

I'm not into cutting edge graphics right now, but just how much is the PCIx setup going to affect performance?

The specs say 2 X4 with X8 connectors.

First, how are these different interfaces forward and/or backward compatible with each other.

Second, how much will plugging an X8 card into an X4 slot affect performance. Has anyone seen any benchmarking to show the affect.

Third, isn't XP pro limited to 4 cores total? Can't remember about Vista, but I'm sure there are limits there too.

Looks like a fun setup for the mine is bigger and better than yours crowd.

Thanks

Don

I was reading at the Dell forums that these things don't like Nvidia PCIe cards due to the ATI integrated graphics, just an FYI incase you nab one and want to upgrade the graphics card or something.

Back