81.xx drivers give 7800 series 20%+ boost in performance with no IQ loss?

WOOHOO, now all the kids on the block can play their favorite game 3dmark05 and be like "OMG WOW"....howbout they release a non-buggy driver.

Looks like dual-core support is delivering a fairly decent boost in performance. A guy from NV said that multi-threaded drivers would boost performance by something like 5 - 30%.

Now let's see the boost without the bugs!! :)

yah I tried it... in 3dmark05 there aren't any shadows... and I can tell with my naked eye in CS:S it looks fugly..

Looks like dual-core support is delivering a fairly decent boost in performance

I'm pretty sure OpenGL already has native multi-threading support. Does it say anywhere specifically the gains are from multi-threading, or are they just assuming that?

How about we fix the following bugs first, and THEN worry about performance?

1) Texture shimmering (not terrible but definitely noticable even on High Quality).

2) Antialiasing randomly switching off during a game of Counter-Strike: Source, for no apparrent reason and then staying off the rest of the session.

3) When a 3d window in a windowed game is not the focus of the operating system, old images that are frozen are displayed from the top edge and downward in the 3d app from where the window that is being used is positioned.

#'s 2 and 3 REALLY cook my bacon considering the kind of money I spent to buy my 7800GT!

GoldenTiger said:
How about we fix the following bugs first, and THEN worry about performance?

1) Texture shimmering (not terrible but definitely noticable even on High Quality).

2) Antialiasing randomly switching off during a game of Counter-Strike: Source, for no apparrent reason and then staying off the rest of the session.

3) When a 3d window in a windowed game is not the focus of the operating system, old images that are frozen are displayed from the top edge and downward in the 3d app from where the window that is being used is positioned.

#'s 2 and 3 REALLY cook my bacon considering the kind of money I spent to buy my 7800GT!

No problems here with 1 and 2 using DHZer0point 78.03 drivers. Soooo.....

--

and the 80.xx drivers being used are beta, so lets not pass judgement until the WHQL ones come out.

IMO, the most urgent issue is the nf3 + 6800 stuttering bug. They should really focus on fixing that in their next driver release since alot of people seem to have this problem.

airiox said:
No problems here with 1 and 2 using DHZer0point 78.03 drivers. Soooo.....

--

and the 80.xx drivers being used are beta, so lets not pass judgement until the WHQL ones come out.

I'm on the official 77.77's.

My question is why doesn't ATI release something like this.

Also I did not understand why the Quality setting was under the other drivers (mainly because I was unable to understand the language of the website).

And I do wonder if I download these drivers if they will boost my 5200 FX for Planetside. (I run in normal mode thier)

xSteathx said:
My question is why doesn't ATI release something like this.

Also I did not understand why the Quality setting was under the other drivers (mainly because I was unable to understand the language of the website).

And I do wonder if I download these drivers if they will boost my 5200 FX for Planetside. (I run in normal mode thier)

Those drivers are design for Duel-core CPU and 7800 series cards from what I'm seeing, so don't bother downloading unless you have the hardware.

gtx4u said:
Those drivers are design for Duel-core CPU and 7800 series cards from what I'm seeing, so don't bother downloading unless you have the hardware.
Which of course I do :) :cool:

Ouch. I just gave these drivers a test-drive on my computer, and I LOST 1,000 points in 3Dmark05. :eek:

I'll stay on the 7801's thanks.

I would actually prefer no speed increase but a 20% IQ improvement for my 7800GTX.

airiox said:
QFT.

For everyone experiencing bugs with this driver set, don't bitch, piss, and moan about them, instead be sure to let nVidia know about them. These are beta and with the help of the beta user community, nVidia can focus their efforts towards fixing these problems.

DejaWiz said:
QFT.

For everyone experiencing bugs with this driver set, don't bitch, piss, and moan about them, instead be sure to let nVidia know about them. These are beta and with the help of the beta user community, nVidia can focus their efforts towards fixing these problems.

I'm not moaning about the beta's, I'm moaning about the PRODUCTION drivers that they claim are stable (77.77 WHQL).

GoldenTiger said:
I'm not moaning about the beta's, I'm moaning about the PRODUCTION drivers that they claim are stable (77.77 WHQL).
Actually 78.01 is the official driver at nvidia.com. So why don't you get that?

Bad IQ for me, reverting back to 77's. I was happy to see they are trying to squeeze out some performance for SMP systems.

I wont run any drivers until they are a final release. Its kinda like running a beta OS as your primary OS... just isnt quite right.

Read the release notes dude.

Release Highlights:

* ForceWare 78.01 adds support for GeForce 6500 only. There are no additional driver updates in 78.01 since 77.77.

Why would he download it if he doesnt have a 6500?

snoops said:
Read the release notes dude.

Release Highlights:

* ForceWare 78.01 adds support for GeForce 6500 only. There are no additional driver updates in 78.01 since 77.77.

Why would he download it if he doesnt have a 6500?

Exactly why I didn't bother with the 78.01's.

Even though these are beta's this looks kind of neat and the perfomance gain is entirely in the realm of possibility for future WHQLs. I remember when I first bought my 9500pro the drivers that shipped with it were extremely poor, barely an upgrade from my S3 intergrated card if you can believe it. It wasn't until after 4-6 months that it really started to fly in games. I suspect they increased performance 40-60% just through driver revisions. Maybe these 7800's have some untapped pontential still.

peacetilence said:
Even though these are beta's this looks kind of neat and the perfomance gain is entirely in the realm of possibility for future WHQLs. I remember when I first bought my 9500pro the drivers that shipped with it were extremely poor, barely an upgrade from my S3 intergrated card if you can believe it. It wasn't until after 4-6 months that it really started to fly in games. I suspect they increased performance 40-60% just through driver revisions. Maybe these 7800's have some untapped pontential still.

let's hope so! then maybe the R520 won't be any faster

i get artifacts in 3dmark05 with these drivers and thats even when im not overclocking

Alowishus said:
IMO, the most urgent issue is the nf3 + 6800 stuttering bug. They should really focus on fixing that in their next driver release since alot of people seem to have this problem.

You are corrrect!!
Still waiting on my S754 Via Mobo.. Looks like my K8N-E Deluxe is going in the closet.
Oh and my 6800Gt, It died after 1st rma.. maybe after 2nd they will give me an ultra ? :)

tsuehpsyde said:
Ouch. I just gave these drivers a test-drive on my computer, and I LOST 1,000 points in 3Dmark05. :eek:

I'll stay on the 7801's thanks.

You'd rather run games slower so you can run 3dmark faster? :confused:

tranCendenZ said:
You'd rather run games slower so you can run 3dmark faster? :confused:
No, but generally on all stock settings, it's a good representatioin of how my games run. But I found out what the problem was, as when I went back to my 78.01's, I was STILL down 1,000 Marks. Care to guess what the problem is from this image?

sli_owned.jpg

:p I thought I checked my bus speed after switching to my bottom PCI-E slot, but I must not have. I was trying to keep the chipset fan farther away so it could run cooler, but apparently to run on the bottom slot solo, you have to set your jumpers to SLi-mode...which I might do, or I might just go back to the top slot and make the chipset just deal.

Not that this isn't obvious to anybody with half a brain but :

Official Nvidia response (from the front page of www.nvnews.net:

NVIDIA is continually releasing drivers to our OEM partners, ISVs, and developers for testing and evaluating new NVIDIA products and new software applications. This driver v81.26 that has appeared on the web is not reflective of the final driver stability quality that NVIDIA will release, so many of the application problems that users are reporting are a result of alpha driver.

NVIDIA recommends users continue to use official drivers from our websites: NVIDIA.com or nZone.com. These drivers have been thoroughly tested by our QA and performance labs.

Please continue to check back on our websites for new official drivers from NVIDIA that will be released in the near future.

the 78.03s are good 4 me. And they fix shimmering in HQ mode.

trinibwoy said:
Not that this isn't obvious to anybody with half a brain but :

Official Nvidia response (from the front page of www.nvnews.net:

Yeah, I guess this probably doesn't need to be said but these beta and mod drivers are usually missing a ton of features, like features for video, nvidia desktop features ect . I don't even bother with them anymore.

GoldenTiger said:
Exactly why I didn't bother with the 78.01's.
Have you tried the 78.03 revision from nzone?
They list the following fixes over the 77.77:
  • NVIDIA Control Panel: Some application profile settings do not override the global settings.
  • GeForce 7 Series: Shimmering artifacts appear when using High Quality performance setting.
If not, you might want to give them a whirl. Let us know how they work out for you if you install them.

I have serious doubts as to the 20% performance claims. As usualy with these claims, I suspect its only under certain circumstances and far from across the board.

Would be sweet if it was true, sadly the chances of this are very little.

fallguy said:
I have serious doubts as to the 20% performance claims. As usualy with these claims, I suspect its only under certain circumstances and far from across the board.

Would be sweet if it was true, sadly the chances of this are very little.
It is with the 7800GTX only and if you have a Dual Core Processor. It was tested in the Guru 3d forums. Although not so stable, Ran about 15 - 25% faster on an X2 System. They even took a screenshot of Task manager showing load for both processors instead of just 1

I understand that, its still my opinion that there will not be a 20% increase across the board. It would be super nice, but I just cant see it. But here is to being wrong. :cool:

78.11's got rid of almost all of the shimmering.
BF2
-application controlled
-all highsettings (lighting and shadow quality set to medium)
-4xAA, 100% view distance
-1280x1024 75Hz

averaged low 70's on Gulf of Oman

everything same except shadow angles were messed up...had to drop from HQ to Quality settings to get the same performance

XFX 7800GTX / P4 3.06 Northwood / 2048MB Kingston Hyper X

Back