8350 Overclock - How to manipulate FSB/NB/etc

MrHood22

Supreme [H]ardness
Are there any good OC tutorials on the 8350 that make reference to the FSB/NB? So far all I see is adjusting the multiplier and voltage. I have been messing with my chip for a bit and it looks like the sweet spot is 4.5ghz. Currently I have ran 1.36v (CPUZ) for 12 hours on Prime95.

What I'm going to do is see how low I can get the voltage on 4.5ghz and then see what voltage I can get for 4.6ghz+. My understanding of overclocking the 8350 is to use the multiplier and voltage to get the general clock and then messing with FSB/NB/RAM to fine tune but I can't find any good tutorials describing the relationship so I'm not sure how to fine tune it.

I'm using 4.5ghz as my worst case scenario overclock. I can do about 1.42v on prime95 until my temps are too high. In my real world use I don't get close to maxing it so technically if I could Prime95 it at ~1.42v I would be at my max temp but I wouldn't get close to it in real world use so I'm not worried. For the time being I'm using a window fan to pump cold air in to my room. I've had the room down to 45f which is great for OCing. Once it's summer I will run the 8350 at the voltage safely but it will not run prime95 since the ambient is too high. Since I will never hit the max temp in real world I would like to use the winter air to stress test it and confirm it's stable and then once summer comes around I won't have to worry about heat due to low stress.

I needed 1.45v to get my 8320 stable at 4.8 GHz regardless of the method used. I never had much luck getting FSB overclocking stable, something always seemed to break.

Make sure turbo mode and APM master mode are off and reboot before doing anything else.

I needed 1.45v to get my 8320 stable at 4.8 GHz regardless of the method used. I never had much luck getting FSB overclocking stable, something always seemed to break.

Make sure turbo mode and APM master mode are off and reboot before doing anything else.

I have already done all the normal overclocking things (turn off energy saving stuff, turbo, etc) that you find on all of the tutorials.

Some of the tutorials reference using the NB and FSB to get a bit more out of your OC after you use voltage and multiplier to find your sweet spot. I'm close to that point now but I cannot find any info on techniques. At the moment...

4.5ghz (22.5x)
1.356250v in BIOS, 1.36v in CPUZ
Prime95 stable for 12 hours (60c socket, 55c cores)
In normal use with games (45c, 30c)

Looks like this is my voltage wall so I'm going to pump my room full of cold winter air, throw voltage at it, and run it on prime95. It will be cold enough in here that I will keep the temps safe. Once Prime95 says it's stable I can leave my room at normal temperature because as you see during normal use my temps are much lower.

Back