8350 question

alf4lyfe

n00b
So I've been rocking a fx6300 on an ASUS M5A99X Pro r2 and hit the wall at 4.2 with a H60 cooler and OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W power supply. I figured it was just the processor/cooling so I swapped it out for a 8350 and H80. Well surprise, surprise the exact same wall exists. Instant lock up past 4.2, even with bumping up vcore and nbridge voltages. My temps are fine at stock at full load on the 8350, it doesn't go over 50C. So I'm not sure what to do to remedy the situation. Did I not win the silicon lottery twice? Is it the power supply? The mobo?

I'd guess mobo, I'd bet it isn't able to keep up with the power draw of heavily overclocked CPU's.

Normally I'd agree with you but the M5A99FX PRO R2 is FX9 series certified so you'd think the board itself would be able to handle it. Honestly my case is cramped too. I'm still up in the air...I might need a 2nd board to test.

The board is fine for overclocking but even then it's 4.2ghz with an additional 2 modular cores. Though it would be more helpful to post exact settings you've changed etc. I haven't done AMD overclocking in a while but I don't think it's just vcore and north bridge that affects overclocking.

The 8360 should be able to get to 4.6-4.7 Ghz at least. Check the vrm temps on your motherboard. Without air blowing over them they will get too hot and raise the temperature of your cpu.

What vcore are you using on the cpu?

All of the above...to get Prime stable OC and my RAM speeds at 1600 MHz I had to raise the voltage quite a bit and my NB nears the limit during the hot summer days...luckily I live in Canada.

Is turbo mode disabled? What do you have vcore set to?

With turbo mode disabled, APM master mode off, and 1.45v I was able to push my 8120 to 4.6 GHz and my 8320 to 4.8 just by raising the multiplier.

Back