8400GS cooling options

graysky

Gawd
I have an MSI GeForce 8400GS (PCI-E 2.0 x16) that runs a little on the hot side for my tastes. I'd like to remove the stock HS and replace it w/ something more efficient. It seems like a number of people are recommending the Zalman series of product, particularly the ZF-700 or ZF-900. I only paid $25 for the card, so I can't justify a $35 HS (the ZF-900) so I'm thinking pretty hard about the VF-700.

1) Is there anyone here using this cooler on this card? The Zalman website page for the ZF-700 doesn't show the 8400GS as a compatible card, but then again, it doesn't look like it's been updated in a while either.

2) Do you have this card and are you cooling it w/ something else that's doing a good job? What is it (manufacture/part) so I can check it out.

Thanks all!

what kind of temps are you actually getting? also pretty much any aftermarket cooler will cost as much or more than that card is worth which will defeat the whole point of the card to begin with.

I doubt you will find a good cooler for a low end low profile card. I would get a fan pointed on it or find some way to cool it down without removing the heat sink.

Those temps are fine, but if you're worried you could cable-tie an old 40mm CPU fan onto the heatsink. That's what I did with the passive HD4550 in my HTPC (pointing the fan into the heatsink) and it dropped my temps under load about 20C. I was a bit concerned about its idle temp of 70C and load of 95C, but I'm fine with idle of 50 and load of 75.

Of course, if I take my HTPC out of the cabinet the temps drop another 15C ...

BTW, I've used a 0.1A 40mm fan running at 5V ... inaudible, but it has such a dramatic effect ...

Back