8400gs good enough?

Aku12

Gawd
Reworking some of my systems around and want to put the HTPC in my sig into the living room. Problem is that its an older SDTV with only Svideo in. I need a low profile card to fit into the case and it looks like the 8400gs is what would fit the bill. Will it be good enough for dvd play back, possibly blue-ray disks even though the low quality tv. (going to be ripping all my disks to hard drive and play them over the network with SageTV).

Also if anyone knows, considering using my Logitech x-540's in the living room with this system so i can leave my receiver in my bedroom. Problem is the only audio out is 3 port (line in/out, mic) and coaxial S/PDIF. It has the ability for ac97 or hd audio via internal headers. Anyone know of a place that i can just buy the header to 3.5mm ports to use with the x-540's.

8400GS: SD content, HD: PCI Express 2.0 cards maybe.
9500GT: Yes on both.

3450 HD: Yes on both.

Then again Blu Ray is going to be a complete waste on your TV if it's not an HDTV. A total waste of money.

Then again Blu Ray is going to be a complete waste on your TV if it's not an HDTV. A total waste of money.

QFT. Your computer will have to downsample Blu-Ray content to display it on the SDTV, so it'll look as bad or possibly even worse than standard-def media. You'd be unnecessarily taxing the system to play content that won't even be displayed properly.

QFT. Your computer will have to downsample Blu-Ray content to display it on the SDTV, so it'll look as bad or possibly even worse than standard-def media. You'd be unnecessarily taxing the system to play content that won't even be displayed properly.

Well, it won't look terrible. It'll look a bit sharper then a regular DVD, at worst about equal to one but it's still a waste because of the price or admission for Blu Ray with a TV that will make it look about equal to a regular DVD.

Pocket the money and just spend it on a HDTV. Thats the only thing that makes sense.

Most of my collection is DVD, but I have started buying Blu-ray because I have a 1080p TV in the bedroom. I rip all my movies to my file server and share it across multiple TV's via SageTV. Just dont see a point in owning 2 copies of Transformers, so if my roomates or I want to watch it in the living room it would be in blue ray. Not for quality but just because I don't own the DVD.

I think im going with the 8400gs for now just to get this working on the TV and that its 30 bucks. And if we ever get an HDTV out there ill spend the money on something a little nicer.

Thanks for the replies

Back