850HX vs PCP&C 750

Nzo

Weaksauce
Was going to get the 750 but my friend recommended the 850 as he says its 'the best' at the moment. Problem is the 850 is double the price of the 750. Quiet components are important to me but he mentioned I probably wouldnt hear either of these PSUs over the videocard fan noise. I'm just a little worried about having sufficient power with the 750 should I go sli in the future. Alternatively should I just go with the PCP&C 950? Anyway, heres my planned build, any input is appreciated!

COOLER MASTER ATCS 840
EVGA E758-A1
i7 920
G.SKILL 12GB
EVGA GTX 275
1 WD VelociRaptor 150G
2 WD Caviar Black 1TB

Planning on taking the 920 to 4.0 and some mild video OCing.

I would say the 850HX is better; however, you do not need it with your current build. I use a silencer 750 with a very similar build to yours and I have it heavily overclocked as well. It is very stable.

The PCP&C is most certainly enough, although the HX850 is a much better PSU. If you want something cheaper, take a look at the HX750 as well. The PCP&C is one of the cheapest PSUs in that wattage range though, so don't expect a better deal.

PCP&C 750 is more than enough. I use the X-Fire (red) to run an MSI Platinum w/ I7-920, GTX275, 2x 1TB drives, 1x 750GB drive, 2x DVD writers, 6GB DDR3 and 4x 120mm fans with total stability. Save your money.

I don't think the 850HX is necessary, and it's not the 'best' either. The best PSU out there, more or less, is the Antec SG-850 with the said Corsair a bit behind it.

The problem with the "Silencer" 750 is that it's name is a joke, it's a very loud PSU. It's very stable, will provide you with more than enough power, but it's loud as hell. All PC Power & Cooling units are loud.

I'd check out Corsair's TX line, they're non-modular and therefor less expensive, they have a 750W unit in that line, and it's not as loud as the Silencer 750. It may be cheaper too.

The best PSU out there, more or less, is the Antec SG-850 with the said Corsair a bit behind it.
The HX850 is overall a better PSU than the Signature 850W. The Antec has about 10mV less ripple on the +12V (compared to the Corsair's 25mV or so which is already practically nonexistant), but the Corsair has better effiiciency, equally good voltage regulation, and more output capacity on the +12V rail.

People people, this is supposed to be a happy occasion, let's not bicker about who killed who, or who is better than who.

I'd say they all deserve the right to be called the best

Silencer 910, M12D, HX850, SG-850, CP-850, Enermax Revolution

can't go wrong with any

As far as noise goes, I've have both the tx750 and the silencer 610. The silencer is quieter then the tx750, but I've also heard that the silencer 750 doesnt quite live up to its name though. But all in all, I doubt you'll even hear either PSU over any of the other components in your system.

Why are you only choosing between these 2 power supplies? Just get the Antec EA650 for $75 w/free shipping from Zipzoom. I have one myself and it's pretty quiet. It's certainly more than enough to power your setup.

Was going to get the 750 but my friend recommended the 850 as he says its 'the best' at the moment. Problem is the 850 is double the price of the 750. Quiet components are important to me but he mentioned I probably wouldnt hear either of these PSUs over the videocard fan noise. I'm just a little worried about having sufficient power with the 750 should I go sli in the future. Alternatively should I just go with the PCP&C 950? Anyway, heres my planned build, any input is appreciated!

COOLER MASTER ATCS 840
EVGA E758-A1
i7 920
G.SKILL 12GB
EVGA GTX 275
1 WD VelociRaptor 150G
2 WD Caviar Black 1TB

Planning on taking the 920 to 4.0 and some mild video OCing.

yeah your good with any of the psu's that these users recommended.

as i can see so far. your not in sli. no raid modes. opticals are meh and fans depends how much current is needed for each one to run at full speed.

your good with a pcp&c 750 or a 750tx.

They will all handle your rig fine. I think the biggest question is how important is noise and modular cables are to you. The HX850 is modular and quiet and as you said it might cost double that of the PCP&C 750. Does modularity and noise outweight price to you? Basically the HX850 is better than the PCP&C 750 in every way except price.

The HX850 is overall a better PSU than the Signature 850W. The Antec has about 10mV less ripple on the +12V (compared to the Corsair's 25mV or so which is already practically nonexistant), but the Corsair has better effiiciency, equally good voltage regulation, and more output capacity on the +12V rail.

I don't think so. Performance between the two units is a wash, probably within the margin of error of the equipment used to test. The Corsair has less ripple on the 3.3V/5V rails while the Antec has better 12V. The Corsair's cooling solution is probably slightly more quiet, but the Antec's will work well in any case. The Corsair's won't.

The Antec, however, is better built. You won't find any loose heatsinks in it, you will in the Corsair (the screws used to hold them down are too short). Either supply is more than capable, but the Antec edges the Corsair with better component layout (one of the reasons that 80mm is so quiet, little airflow obstruction) and better build quality. Now if the Antec still sold for $300 instead of $210 like it does at most etailers, then I'd say the Corsair.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Not to flout all your comments but I just said what the hell and went with the 850hx because people's noise comments about the pcpc750 were bothering me. Looked at the 750hx and the 850 was only another $30 so I just went for it. I dont mind spending money for quality and future expandability because, as you can see from my sig, I only do new builds once every couple years. Thanks again!

I don't think so. Performance between the two units is a wash, probably within the margin of error of the equipment used to test. The Corsair has less ripple on the 3.3V/5V rails while the Antec has better 12V. The Corsair's cooling solution is probably slightly more quiet, but the Antec's will work well in any case. The Corsair's won't.

The Antec, however, is better built. You won't find any loose heatsinks in it, you will in the Corsair (the screws used to hold them down are too short). Either supply is more than capable, but the Antec edges the Corsair with better component layout (one of the reasons that 80mm is so quiet, little airflow obstruction) and better build quality. Now if the Antec still sold for $300 instead of $210 like it does at most etailers, then I'd say the Corsair.
This is a silly argument, so I'm not going to get into it any more. I will say that although the performance is extremely similar with both units, the better efficiency and higher +12V capacity of the HX850 would put it over the Signature in my opinion. Performance in other areas is basically equal, and the only real differences come out in the Corsair's favour.

The heatsinks in the CWT units aren't loose. The screws are as you say short, but if it had been a problem, we would have noiced it a long time ago. Yes, OW at JG points out the screw issue in every CWT reviewed, and while it certainly would have been better if they'd used threadlockers, the PSU isn't going to fall apart on you. That just counts as fud.

Yeah, I've seen heatsinks held secured with screws that were too short cook power supplies in $100,000 CNC machines. Those didn't even have to deal with heat cycling, which may or may not make it worse.

It's a good thing that Corsair can take 50C temps too, because if you put it in any case that mounts the PSU in a compartment at the bottom it's going to be starved for air and will run that hot. I stuffed a Silverstone Strider (similar setup, but 120mm fan) into a chassis like that. The only thing hotter than the PSU case was the GPU heatsink (running FAH).

Not so silly if you've seen what either of those can do. We're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

Last edited:
why would it be starved for air just because you put it at the bottom? Unless you put the fan right up against the bottom of the case...

People people, this is supposed to be a happy occasion, let's not bicker about who killed who, or who is better than who.

I'd say they all deserve the right to be called the best

Silencer 910, M12D, HX850, SG-850, CP-850, Enermax Revolution

can't go wrong with any

HOOfan_1 has the right attitude in this case. In the end, the thread starter (Nzo) went with the 850HX (a good choice in my opinion, I almost bought that myself).

As I have used both the PC P&C Silencer 750 Quad and the Silencer 910 in my system (currently), I find that (as usual) the people critical of the Silencer series of PSU's acoustical output either:

a) don't have one
b) get freaked out when they read a review of one where the reviewer pushes the unit to 105% of it's specified capabilities in a 40c+ "hot box", or
c) they are charter members of the SilentPCReview.com forums.

I guess we can call many of the [H]ard Forum members, 1%er's. As 99% of pc users will never purposely push their pc's PSU to anywhere close to 100% of it's specified limits (and probably only 10-15% of enthusiasts would).

The Silencer series 750 & 910 PSU's fans will probably never be heard over the noise of the combined compliment of case, cpu and video card cooling fans.

This is not the SilentPCreview.com forum. It's the [H]ardOCP.com Forum. Guys here tend to push their rigs to their maximum. Noise be damned! Well, at least for a little while.

Back