8600GTS and HDTV

Angelus897

Gawd
Hey, I know that 8600GTS has hardware H.264 decoding. My question is, will this help me with decoding HDTV? I use Vista Ultimate Media Center and my CPU usage is a bit higher than I want it to be at the moment. Thanks!

My question is, will this help me with decoding HDTV? I use Vista Ultimate Media Center and my CPU usage is a bit higher than I want it to be at the moment. Thanks!
If by HDTV you mean ATSC (or QAM) MPEG-2 HDTV, then maybe. What video card do you have now?

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I use OAR HDTV via an ATI HDTV Wonder. I run a 7600GS right now.

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I use OAR HDTV via an ATI HDTV Wonder. I run a 7600GS right now.
No, it probably won't reduce your CPU usage since the 7600GS already has as good of MPEG-2 acceleration as nVidia offers. What mpeg-2 filter / codec are you using?

I had the exact same card and upgraded to the 8600GT for the h264 b/c my x3800 was struggling. I think the combination of me switching to Vista and this card has actually made my OTA worse somehow. It is actually choppier but I can't figure that out. Either way I think the HD performance is identical and has made no difference in the cpu usage and etc....

Try coreavc. That seems to be the best H264 decoder out there. Not sure if it's Vista compatible yet or not though.

Try coreavc. That seems to be the best H264 decoder out there. Not sure if it's Vista compatible yet or not though.

Works great under Vista. My HD movies actually playback better under Vista than they did with XP.

Back