8800 GTS 640 MB - bad fps only with World of Warcraft

Blackdog

Limp Gawd
So I posted a thread on the WoW Tech Support Forums and I just wanted to see if anybody had any insights here. I've been having really bad FPS issues with only World of Warcraft since I upgraded from a 6800 to the 8800. I'm not so sure if it's my CPU or not. I honestly think it shouldn't be. I remember Blizzard having a similar issue as well with the 6800's when they first came out.

Here are my system specs, using the latest and greatest from the nvidia site:

AMD Athlon64 3500+ 2.2GHz
Asus A8NSLI Deluxe Motherboard, fully uptodate.
2048MB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS
SyncMaster 205BW/204BW, SyncMaster Magic CX203BW(Digital)
SB Audigy 2 ZS Audio [8000]
XP SP2 Pro

I replaced a 6800 card with this one, which I had NO fps issues with WoW when I was running on the 6800 card.

Basically I'm getting around 30-60 fps average - but it stutters on occasion randomly, no matter where I'm at in WoW.

Again, just seeing if the hardware guru's here had any further insights than the lack of response I'm getting from Blizzard. :(

If I had to guess, I would think that perhaps your cpu is too slow to feed it with data fast enough.

I remember a [H[ article from a while back that suggested a 2.4GHz+ cpu to feed I think it was the 7900 series fast enough.

I may be way off though.

I may be way off though.

Yup; that proc is more than enough to return a high framerate at just about any resolution in WoW with the GTS.

I'd follow the Drivercleaner method of uninstalling your current drivers and installing the latest drivers as seen here. Then I'd uninstall/reinstall WoW. Remember to turn off Vsync if you're looking for a framerate higher than your refresh.

Yup; that proc is more than enough to return a high framerate at just about any resolution in WoW with the GTS.

I'd follow the Drivercleaner method of uninstalling your current drivers and installing the latest drivers as seen here. Then I'd uninstall/reinstall WoW. Remember to turn off Vsync if you're looking for a framerate higher than your refresh.

Yeah I'll go ahead and grab drivercleaner. $9.99 isn't a huge deal to me for what it does. Uninstalling and reinstalling WoW is my next step... :)

my first 8600GTS did that in wow and it ended up being a bad card.....

How were you able to tell it was a bad card, and where did you purchase it?

I got mine from newegg.com like a month or two ago, and don't have any issues with any other games. Just WoW. :(

How were you able to tell it was a bad card, and where did you purchase it?

I got mine from newegg.com like a month or two ago, and don't have any issues with any other games. Just WoW. :(

i got mine from bestbuy, and there was lightning everywhere =) in nagrand, in CSS, in IE started as a flicker and progressivly got worse, replaced with a 8600GTS OC and works like a dream

The cpu in my sig (stock speeds) hits over 60fps and averages about 45-50ish. Something is wrong.

I also have this problem with WoW, i do run vsync as i hate when i get tearin. the 60fps max dont bother me. its when im out in the middle of a map and it drops to 20-30fps. my x1950xt ran it faster it seems. ive reformated. tryed all kind of diffrent drivers.

im about to go back to XP and see if that helps.

I'm in the same boat (a little bit). My comp is listed in my sig. My framerate is really good when I turn V-Sync off, but I can't stand the tearing in WoW. I play at 1680x1050 resolution and get 20-30 fps due to the limiters or what-not. My framerate always seems to be 20, 30, 45, or 60, never really inbetween.

Even still, it's more than playable, and quite smooth to be honest. I've never run into performance issues in this game. I just turn off the glow effect. Not because it's suck performance (it doesn't, really), but just because it hurts my eyes. That's about it.

WoW is pretty CPU reliant. I have a similar setup to everyone and I typically get 45-60fps in outlands and even in the 20's in Shattrah.

Something else to try with WoW that's not related to video card or processor....

WoW has a file sharing feature to allow others to download patches from other WoW players. The options to turn this off is in the lower left area of the 'news' screen when you first load WoW. Once you have the latest patches downloaded, I suggest turning the file sharing feature off or to only download after exiting the game. Otherwise you can end up with aweful framerates as other people are eating up some of your bandwidth.

It looks like the Free version is no longer available, it is now called drivercleaner.net. The new version costs 9.95.

Here is a link to a forum that has the official blessing to host version 1.5, the last free version.

http://www.overclock.net/downloads/138459-driver-cleaner-pro-1-5-a.html

Also guru3d has a driver cleaner like program called Guru3d Driver Sweeper http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1655

Also check out that other program, its free and by the guru 3d guys

I have a 8800 gts with 640 also and runs wow at 60FPS 90% of the time, there are some places that drop it to 20fps for no good reason, even with settings down it still drops, I think that is just poor programing/modeling.

I have an 8800 GTS 640MB.
I run WoW max settings at 1440x900 with 8xQ AA and average about 90 FPS.
The only time it drops down to about 45FPS is when I'm flying in areas with lots of trees.

Of course I have a e4300 C2D overclocked to 3Ghz and 2GB of RAM.

If it only seems to happen after you've been playing for a while, since 2.1 there's been a fairly bad memory leak or something funky. My entire guild and I have noticed that your framerate gets progressively worse and your page file starts to be used more and more the longer you play (couple days ago it was using up around 2 gigs of the page file)

If it only seems to happen after you've been playing for a while, since 2.1 there's been a fairly bad memory leak or something funky. My entire guild and I have noticed that your framerate gets progressively worse and your page file starts to be used more and more the longer you play (couple days ago it was using up around 2 gigs of the page file)

Yeah. Unfortunately for me - it's been happening since I upgraded the card itself - pre-2.1 :(

I think I'm going to do a driver clean, reinstall latest drivers and then reinstall WoW from scratch and see if that does the trick.

I may also very well reinstall my machine - b/c it's not been done in a while and I've had alot of performance issues lately pre-video-card-upgrade (mainly with internet browsing).

BTW no viruses or spyware on the machine if anybody asks. Running McAfee and did a full system scan recently as well as a spyware sweep with ad-aware and spybot. :)

what size power supply you running

i had to upgrade my powersuply recently because i was getting slowdowns and then artifacting new psu seem to help that

Back