8800 GTS: Noise and Temperature

mis3

Gawd
I am looking for a new video card for my new Q6600 - P5K Premium - P812 system.

I am considering a 7900GS, 8600 GS/GTS or 8800 GTS (maybe EVGA e-GeForce 8800GTS Superclocked 320MB).

Besides the money, does the 8800 consume more power and generates more noise than the 7900 and 8600 series cards?

Anybody who knows this card (EVGA GeForce 8800GTS Superclocked 320MB), please give your comments.

I am building a quiet PC (hence the P182) and I have to make a decision in 1-2 days.

They're very quiet!.

Quieter than the 7900 series IMO. But yes, it does use more power. I've never used an 8600 so iunno there...

i higly recomend the eVGA 8800GTS 320 SC

i love mine it is a awsome card, and your new system will push it better then my old P4 3.4

as far as noise is concerened with the fan at 100% 2500RPM i can't even hear it my case, and my dell box is super quiet and i know the fan is moving becasue i see my temps drop.

if u can maybe go for the 640 version if u plan on gaming high res.

The standard evga 8800GTS is just a fantastic card. It is quiet and an absolute terror.
Now mind you my 6600 Conroe is running at 3825mhz daily. At that speed My 8800GTS scores 194,000 on Aquamark and 60,000+ on 3D01SE. As I said it is a terror. There is no game I can't play till I have had all I can take. You can max out your settings if you like.
So as with any system CPU, Memory and Video card all work together to achieve great game play as well as high benchmarks. When you build build a well rounded system and you will be rewarded for it. As far as noise goes the 8800GTS is the quietest card I have ever run and I always run all fans at 100%. My 7900GT is a little noise maker at those speeds. Good luck to you and enjoy your setup.

The system you are building desrves better than a 7900GS or an 8600 Don't Skimp on the card.

WZ

This is probably a very subjective question.

If it's your money, which card would you buy:
1. EVGA e-GeForce 8800 GTS Superclocked 320MB
2. BFG Technologies GeForce 8800 GTS OC 320MB

Both in the same price range.

This BFG card probably does not have the latest cooling technology, something called ThermoIntelligence Cooler..... Too bad.

This is probably a very subjective question.

If it's your money, which card would you buy:
1. EVGA e-GeForce 8800 GTS Superclocked 320MB
2. BFG Technologies GeForce 8800 GTS OC 320MB

Both in the same price range.

since i already did it but these are the reasons i did

1. Kyles review of the eVGA 8800GTS 320 SC here at the [H] and comments from other members.
2. research on the net
3. eVGA's warranty policy, register your card on their site with in 30 days of purchace and you have lifetime warranty. they also allow you to upload a copy of your proof of purchace to speed up any warranty claims. you can overclock your card, change the cooling system, but you must keep all parts, and your warranty is not void. only if the card is pyhsicaly broken would your warranty be void. and from what i have read on their forums their tech support is nothing but first class.
4. price vs performance i couldn't pass it up.

and from the time i loaded up my first game on this card i couldn't be happieri was going to stick with ATI and i am happy i didn't.

I did my research and both cards got the Gold Award from {H}.

Mac: How do you find the noise and power consumption of this eVGA card? Does the fan speed vary with the load?

i don't even hear it running, even with the fan set to 100% i just use rivetuner i set up two fan profiles 75 duty cycle for idle i have poor air flow in my case, and 100% when i game

Kyle said the same thing when he reviewed the card and had to actually look to see if the fan was moving. it is so quiet. i really don't worry about about power consuption all as i can say is i have had zero problems since installing.

i will warn u that these 8800 series run hotter than other cards but its not a issue.

I have an EVGA 8800GTS Superclocked and I have to disagree with those saying that at 100% it is inaudible. I run a fairly quiet system with decent airflow and I can hear it as I increase the fan speed. If I don't mess with it it runs at 60% and I can't hear it at all and this continues up to about 75% where it just barely begins to have a noise character that I can hear. Once you get it up to 100% it is distinct and certain that it is blowing away in there. However it's still not terribly loud, nor shrill, nor annoying in any way other than moving a chunk of air. I only crank it all the way up when I'm gaming and this loads my cpu which cranks it's fan up to be far louder.

So in a tuned and quiet case you will hear it, but only when you're likely making a lot more noise with something else.

It would be a crime to put a lesser card in with a q6600.

I have an EVGA 8800GTS Superclocked and I have to disagree with those saying that at 100% it is inaudible. I run a fairly quiet system with decent airflow and I can hear it as I increase the fan speed. If I don't mess with it it runs at 60% and I can't hear it at all and this continues up to about 75% where it just barely begins to have a noise character that I can hear. Once you get it up to 100% it is distinct and certain that it is blowing away in there. However it's still not terribly loud, nor shrill, nor annoying in any way other than moving a chunk of air. I only crank it all the way up when I'm gaming and this loads my cpu which cranks it's fan up to be far louder.

So in a tuned and quiet case you will hear it, but only when you're likely making a lot more noise with something else.

It would be a crime to put a lesser card in with a q6600.

I'd have to agree with this, I've got one and was expecting it to be silent based on comments in forums.

It's not silent on any fan setting above stock, its not a bad sound, but its not silent.

It's pretty loud at 100%.

I'd have to agree with this, I've got one and was expecting it to be silent based on comments in forums.

It's not silent on any fan setting above stock, its not a bad sound, but its not silent.

the exact oppisite for me only if i have no back ground noise and i really listen to i hear mine.

I just got mine today and I was actually amazed at how quiet my system is. I don't hear much of anything, especially compared to my previous system with 7950 and s939 stock cooler.

About EVGA GeForce 8800GTS Superclocked 320MB:

How do i change the fan setting? Can it be set to automatically change fan speed based on temp?

I have high temps, despite decent case cooling. 75C according to nVidia monitor after running 3dmark06 demo. Is this too high? My case temps were at around 32C.

Thanks

The card rates at around 21dba with fan speeds at 60%. Ramping it up to 100% raises that noise level to 27-29dba depending on your particular revision. It's fairly silent at 60%, and 60% is all that's required to keep it in *safe* levels if you have good airflow :)

Might be true, but it's a massive improvement over any other GPU on the market today.

Good. I was considering 7900GS, 8600 GS/GTS or 8800 GTS .

From my research, since this EVGA e-GeForce 8800GTS SC 320MB offers much performance gain, I assumed that much noise would be induced with this performance gain.

I am not concerned that much with the power consumption. I am getting a Cosair 620W PSU.

My Evga 8800 SC is a lot quiter than my last Evga 7900GS KO

at 95% fan speed

I am not concerned that much with the power consumption. I am getting a Cosair 620W PSU.

They are pretty quiet cards but run hot as hell, something to consider also. Atleast the one 8800GTS I have had the pleasure of working with was like that. The card was running at stock fan speeds.

Back