8800 GTS using Antec TP-II 550 PSU (enough?)

seanmcd

[H]ard|Gawd
About to buy an 8800GTS, wondering if anyone is already driving one of these with an Antec TP-II 550 psu? (19amp per each 12v line (two total))

The only requirement I can find from Nvidia is 400watt powersupply. I have no intentions of ever adding a second 8800 GTS, just want to run one. (will also have Nforce4 motherboard, Opteron 165 @ 2.8ghz (stock vcore), Audigy 2 sound, 74gb Raptor, 300 gb Maxtor sata, dvd burner, 4 120mm fans. Perhaps you know for a fact that it will work, or you are a big enough expert to know the answer... if so please advise. I'm prepared to buy a different PSU (one with one big fat 12v rail) but If I don't have to, of course I won't.

Thanks,
SM

I am running that power suppy with the components in my sig. It runs everything just fine, but it get a little warm. I am looking to replace it soon.

Now how about 8800 GTS SLI? I wonder if the TP-II can pump out enough watts for that amount of craziness. I would guess not.

Probably?

You'd be nearing 95% capacity of that PSU however...

If you have 1 CPU, 1 drive, 1 CD rom and 2gb of RAM, GTX 8800s in SLI should... be possible...

At worst, they'll use up a good 30a on the 12v rail... Cards alone. (200w / 12v = ~15a)

You'll need at least 36a on your 12v rail if it's going to run.

It will be fine until the Antec decides to shit itself, which all do eventually.

Back