8800 GTX Corruption HL2

whiz187

Limp Gawd
I have a BFG 8800 GTX, actually this is my second one. I returned the first one because it was not rendering HL2 correctly. Distant objects were grayed out, baricades, people, equipment in the Labs. The replacement card is doing exactly the same thing. 96.89, 97.02 and 97.28.

MSI NF4, AMD 4800 X2, 2 Gig Ram ,XFi sound, 650W PS, 20" Samsung 16x12.

I also tried XP64 with the 96.89 and got the same results. In XP64 OpenGL refuses to run. In XP32bit about 90% GL progs will start OK. (IE Serious Sam SE.)

I also noticed some screen corruption when Dynamic Shadows was enabled in GRAW. Blotchy lighting effect follows the player around. Turning off Shadows or dropping the res to 1152 or below corrects the problem.

Anybody else experienced this? A bad batch of BFG's or bad Nvidia drivers.

According Nvidia it's something in the Source engine, not a driver issue. So hopefully Valve will come with a patch soon.

I get the same problem with my 8800TGTS. It's pretty damn annoying.

It is a known problem and according to NVIDIA a game problem, not a driver problem. They are working with Valve to get it fixed in a Source update.

Thank you for the reply gentlemen, I thought I was the only one that had this problem. I had a lengthy Email session with Nvidia support ( two days worth) and got nowhere. Then I found a description and screen shot of the resistor fix for the 8800 GTX and observed that this was correct on my card (40c). I was pretty sure the card was at spec. So the ball is now in Valve's court?

In my original POST I mentioned some screen corruptiion I got with Ghost Recon. When Dynamic Shadows was enabled the screen was annoyingly blotchy. This problem seems to have disappered with the 97.02 and the 97.28 drivers. Used Driver Cleaner, before the install, and GRAW seems to run normally at all resolutions.

However, XP64 with the 96.89's still has the problem.

Skunt said:
I get the same problem with my 8800TGTS. It's pretty damn annoying.

I'm half-way through the game and I'm still trying to ignore the grayed out distant objects. Its nice to play this game without any hitching for once though.

Back