8800 gtx keep?

carnag3

Limp Gawd
Ok so i got an 8800gtx(pulled from his dell precision) really cheap, and i had an 8800gt(EVGA superclocked), that i can sell to a mate easy. question is, in 3d mark there's hardly any difference in performance, i get between 11300 and 11500 for both of them, i am about to buy a 24 inch monitor, and am running vista x64 ultimate... Is there something wrong with my card, or does it only pull away at higher that 1280 resoluions? thanks...

Oh and my 8800gtx squeels when im in 3d apps, at high frequencies, its not that annoying, and once my case is back together im guessing i wont even notice it, to my understanding this isn;t any concern, something is just vibrating from the high power as it wasnt covered with hot clue or something...

3dmark is bullshit.

and the squealing is easily solved with a hot glue gun, but i'm too drunk to describe the process.

care to come back when your sober? Thats good news but :D... Also does this mean that 3d mark would not show the true difference, I am kinda scared i got some watered down 8800gtx because it was from dell...

Why does 3dmark suck? Have noticed that mentioned alot.

It does not. it does exactly what it is supposed to do. Measure how fast something runs 3dmark.

Do you care? then it does not suck. But if you dont build a system to run 3dmark it does suck.

The point is a card can be made to run high 3dmark numbers but suck at most games compared to other cards with lower 3dmark scores.

In this forum the consensus is that the only way to truely judge a card is to use it to play the games or run the applications you want to use, at the settings you use them at.

That is what [H] folks means by benchmarking with true gameplay (no timedemos either).

So run both those cards with the games you want, and compare the gameplay of each. Then make a decision.

In general, you will see a small diff in lower resolutions, but the 8800GTX will be better at higher resolutions. But dont take my word for it. you got both cards, run a few benchies and post them here along with your system configuration.

That will help you and folks that come here for real information.

Have fun.

EDIT: Supposedly the 8800GT is better at High Def video playback, but I cannot confirm that.
Well then thing is also that someone might be willing to pay more for the GTX, so if that matters to you more than performance @ high res, then sell the GTX.

8800gtx will be much better at those higher resolutions and in games even though the 8800gt will post better 3dmark06 scores

At lower resolutions the newer cards (G92 variants) may excel over an 8800GTX, but at higher resolutions (in your case 1920X1200 on a 24" LCD), the 8800GTX will kick some serious ass.

The problem with 3DMark, is the default setting of 1024x768. That bench will show the G92 variants betting out an 8800GTX. It does NOT show however that the 8800GTX will beat it at the higher resolutions.

Back