8800 series cooling

MD

Supreme [H]ardness
Hi all.

Well after weeks of playing with 8800GTS and changing few cases and fan configurations I came to best solution of cooling a 8800 series grafic card without changing a stock cooler and voiding a warranty.

My goal was cool grafic card (and a rest of a system) and low noise levels.

Now my 8800 GTS never runs over 57 deg. C with room temps of 20~22 deg. C.

First I've tryed it in SN25P Shuttle SSF and it was disaster. It get's so hot You can fry all of Your components within few weeks. Well some modding makes it better but still not acceptable in my book.

Then I've played with TT Soprano with Zalman and Coolermaster and Sharkoon silent fans (120 mili kind)
It resulted in temps in mid 60's deg C under load.

I on the end I went with Enermax Chakra with 10" fan on side panel and Bingo.

10" fan blowing in and when playing fan of a 8800 set to anywhere between 85% and 100%
results in temps of max 54 deg. C and with rthdribl.exe I get 56~57 deg. C.

I use Riva Tuner to control a fan on GTS and it makes a major impact on cooling. Everything under 82% fixed is pretty quiet. 85% and higher is aduible but not as loud as 8k rpm 60 mili delta fan. Noise is unpleasent higher pitch but not loud enough to make a dentist effect :)

With fans in Enermax Chakra on stock speeds case is not a noiseless but noise is a low pitch and very easy to forget. GTS fan on 100% goes over a noise of whole system.

I use Silverstone Strider 750 watt PSU and CPU is cooled with a TT Big Typhon with a Coolermaster blue led fan (rated at 22 dB) on full speed.

In my configuration in Enermax Chaka I use only 3x120 mili fans and one 250 mili fan (10") including PSU fan and CPU fan.

In TT Soprano I have had 5x 120 mili silent fans and 1x 92 mili fan and still lower preformance. I have had one 120 bolwing over a GTS and X-Fi Xtreme Gamer and it was helping but it wasn't good enough. Nosie level wasn't that bad either but cooling was worse. You could feel hot air coming out of exhaust fan and in Chakra You just feel cold air coming from eery hole on case :)
TT with a windows on side and few LED fans looks good though plastics and door leaves somethings to wish fro.

I've left all PCI slots on case open and air comes out from there to.

10" side fan blowing out (there is a switch on a fan that changes rotations direction) has nice feature.It makes front basel act as a big filter. Front basel openings are all covered with thin layer of foam from inside hence if it acts as intake you get your air filtered.

Though 10" blowing out results in much higher temps on grafic card (5 to 8 deg. C on GPU)

I've seen Aero Cool Extreme Enigne 3, Sharkoon Rebel 9 Value Edition, TT Armor 25 using 10" fan on side panel and a A+ Acase CS-Twin engine SM using two 10" fans one in side panel and one in front bazel.

Extreme Engine 3 uses 140 mili intake and has interesting design and fan controler for 3 fans (140 mili 250 mili and optional fan).
Though design is not everymans thing. 140 mili fan has sort of a turbine wannabe plastic decoration that IMO just makes a drag and more noise (not that much more but still)

Sharkoon is a great value case and has same setup as Enermax Chakra. Though it has some cheep feeling to it. Still great case for that amount of money. It's 10" fan has advanced blade design and nice middle decoration though no switch for reversing a fan.

Thermal Take Armor 25 has it's 10" fan to high in side panel. Also it costs like 4 Sharkoon cases or like almost 3 Enermax cases. 10" fan position is waste of time. It's just to high.

A+ Acase Twin Engine is just not real. Loks are crazy and where the hell air comes outof it? Pushing that many CFM's in case with so little exhaust holes is madness. Well with top of a sace off the case it has extreme potential. Plastics are cheep and door is something I doo not want to have anymore on this machine. Fans do have a kind of a filter though.

There are also more standard fans cases with good cooling. Though mostly sot to much IMO.

Antec Nine Hundred uses top 8" fan and it cools also good. Wasn't realy my thing either. To many fans to achive same thing, Nosie leve lhigher to achive same cooling. It has fan control switches for fans though inside.

Cooler Master Staker 83x are great. Build quality is great. Looks are great. Cooling power is great. Well price + price for all fans needed to make it run cool as it can is just to much IMO. Noise with full setup of fans can also be to high.
Though if money ain't object black 831 with 9x Sharkoon Silent eagle LED and Enermax Galaxy 1000watt is way to go IMO.

Silverstone TJ09? Price.

So those cheeper steel midtowers with 10" fans on side panel realy work and do not cost much.

I went with Enermax beause it has external switch for changing a airflow direction of a 10" fan. I do like that it has some of a quality known by all Enermax products.

Though tbh except for a differnce in front basel and fans and way of a HHD bracket it's not so far away from noname steel case in mat black.
It's nice case but Cooler Master 83x is like a Rolls Royce all in aluminum etc.

Chakra top panel has E Sata for those who need it. I realy do not need it.
It's headset connection on that top panel works good only with onboard sound. With SB X-Fi You can't make it that inserting head set jack turns off speakers :(. You have to use single connectors and turn off speakers when using headset.

Position of 10" fan is good, though for Sli setups it could be even lower (though none of a cases have it complitly down as I would make it if I was designing a case)

Cooling is great. Considering it uses just two fans it's pretty efficient compearing to 9 120 mili solutions. Price and value is just right strike that is simply great.

Silverstone Strider 750 watt uses two transformers and ADDA fan. It has a cable managment. It has ton's of power. As much as I know only a Coolermaster 850 watt, Tangan 1100watt (can't make more then 850 watt though), Enermax Galaxy 1000 watt use two transfomers design. Though almost all cost two times more then Silverstone Strider 750. It can power Sli GTX setup.

Well like Top Power has same PSU like Tangan 1100 but aTangan is a TOp power with other stickers.

PCP PSU units are also great though cost much.

MD

Very informative. Good testing :) Though didn't it cost a little with all the things?

Thx.

Well I build systems for friends and Plastic money is also money :)

BTW I've sold almost everything cuting the costs :)

Although it's a long read and in bad English (English aint my native language as You have noticed :) ) I was thinking I need to share my findings about those cases with 10" fans and about Silverstone Strider PSU.

Maybe also nice thing to know Zalman ZM600-HP 600 watt PSU with heatpipe cooling is internal same as OCZ GameXStream 700 watt PSU only OCZ has realy poor cooling solution and bit thicker cabling.

There is a nice read about it on hardware secrets. Also about Enermax Galaxy 1000 watt and Tangan 1100 watt PSU.

They also have good article about PSU in how the stuff works style.

MD

Hmmm.. confusing to read all that info. I just got my 8800 GTX last night and just like everyone reported it runs hot. Even hotter than my 7950 GX2.

I have a p180 with a 120mm (on high setting) fan blowing on the card from the front and 2x 120mm (on medium setting) fans exhausting out the top and back. I installed ntune and cranked the card fan up to 100%. (however it does not save this setting on reboot) This set up results in an idle of 55C and gaming up to 85C.

Still runs a little hot for my taste. I'm considering cutting a hole in the side of the p180 to place another side fan blowing on the card.

p.s. anyone had any luck with third party coolers?

Back