8800GT coolers....

Not really, I guess I just haven't followed the adventures of GoldenTiger that closely to know how often you blow stuff up.

I wouldn't call a voltmod "random"...

Haha, true... thought you meant in general overclocking though since the linked card wasn't even modded yet :D. I have done soldering before on other things, so not terribly concerned.

Got on my EVGA KO 8800gt. Idling around 46C, after about 4-5 hours of Hellgate london DX10 mode, was sittin at around 74C. Course this is in a Antec 900 case, with a 120mm fan on the side blowing on to the Video card.

Also overclocked it to 700mhz core 2kmhz on the ram, and its rock solid.

O and TF2 never looked better :)

8800gt ftw!

Just strapped on my Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 and quite frankly I'm shocked by the results. My case has great cooling (Stacker 830 with a bunch of 120mm fans), but the stock cooler on my eVGA was running really hot for some reason.

Idle - 70C
Load - 91C

So I strapped on the Accelero S1 along with some Arctic Silver, added a Cooler Master 120mm fan I had lying around, set it to blow down on the heatsink and hit the rest of the card. Massive improvement!

Idle - 40C
Load - 48C

:eek::eek::eek:

Well, I'm pretty happy now. How can the stock heatsink covering the entire card possibly be so bad?
Just looked at the site for that heatsink and it would be nice if you would elaborate on "strapping on the Accelero S1" and maybe showing us some pics of it installed in your system. From the site, it looks like it protrudes from the slot next to the video card. I'm currently running a XFX 7950 GT with passive cooling and I know it can work well so I am considering a passive solution for my yet to arrive 8800GT.

Just looked at the site for that heatsink and it would be nice if you would elaborate on "strapping on the Accelero S1" and maybe showing us some pics of it installed in your system. From the site, it looks like it protrudes from the slot next to the video card. I'm currently running a XFX 7950 GT with passive cooling and I know it can work well so I am considering a passive solution for my yet to arrive 8800GT.

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, this solution isn't for everybody. The Accelero is massive in itself, and on top of that, I have a 120mm fan strapped on top of it using plastic cable ties. So it wastes 2-3 slots below it.

As far as the installation for the Accelero S1 though, it couldn't be easier. I just removed the existing heatsink, cleaned off the core, put on some Arctic silver, then applied the new heatsink on top with 4 screws. It was a little awkward on the 7900gt cause the capacitors were too high, but on the 8800gt, they all seem to be lower profile, so there's plenty of clearance.

Useful thread.

I'm interested in getting a HR-03 GT, does anyone have one of these and how does it perform?

Swiftech MCW-60 = waterblock.

Imagine with a voltmod where these cards will go... people already figured one out, with good cooling the sky's the limit :eek:, even on high-end aircooling :D!

It looks like an Apogee GT with a modded top to me :eek:

But yes, I wish I could afford one of these... I'll wait for the next high-end card, and slap a waterblock on it. I figure I can sell my currently nice clocked GTS and Ek FC waterblock for around 250$ with ease :p.

With really really excellent case ventilation, I get a temp of about 72C with the fan set to 50C. This is on ATI Tool, which is hotter than a game.

I'm not sure about that. When I had the stock cooler on ATI tool only got my temps to 71C and TF2 got me up to 91C.

Well, my temps dropped with the Thermaltake ND1 on my SLI set of KO eVGA 8800GT 512's to ~64c for the hotter card, and ~60c for the second card after 6 minutes of ATItool artifact scanning at 675/1950. With the stock ones, it was approaching 80ish and higher on each card. Idle temps have dropped significantly as well... working on overclocking them now :D.

Well, my temps dropped with the Thermaltake ND1 on my SLI set of KO eVGA 8800GT 512's to ~64c for the hotter card, and ~60c for the second card after 6 minutes of ATItool artifact scanning at 675/1950. With the stock ones, it was approaching 80ish and higher on each card. Idle temps have dropped significantly as well... working on overclocking them now :D.

Did you drill or bend?

Did you drill or bend?

I decided to bend, and cover the pins' flattened tops with a little electrical tape. The connectors on each card came off with pliers without a ton of difficulty, had to keep going from left side to right side a little at a time to get them off, took maybe 2 minutes each on that. Pins are pretty thick, and bent down easily, should be cake to get the connector back on later. I looked at drilling at first and even was about to do it when I realized the connector wouldn't fit even with quite a bit of drilling, and that one of the shroud's screwholes connects with the base in a spot that you would need to drill to get it to not hit the connector.

EDIT: I think my PSU (Corsair HX 520w) is not strong enough for my rig :(... when I overclock much past 720ish my computer has the screen go black a time or two, or just locks while on the desktop, even though Rivatuner shows the temperatures as 50ish for my SLI pair. I have upgraded air cooling (Thermaltake ND1's). Also having it lock if I go into 3D when overclocked, though I can run the Crysis GPU bench over and over without issue at its 675/1950 "KO" speeds. Another thing that's making me think it's the PSU is that ATItool can heat the cards up to about 66, but it locks sometimes after 5-6 minutes, sometimes after 1-2, even when the temps aren't as high as it's gone before without locking.

My system is:

Q6600 @ 3.15, 1.53v
2x eVGA 8800GT KO 512MB in SLI
2 hard drives
eVGA 680i NF68-A1 SLI motherboard
4x1GB RAM sticks
7 120mm case fans, plus two 80ish-mm fans that the aftermarket coolers use
Optical drive
X-fi sound card

Not sure if it's just a really bad set of cards for overclocking, or if it's just too little power from my Corsair HX 520w PSU :(... any thoughts? It seemed iffy in the beginning, now I'm thinking it actually isn't enough.

good to hear you didnt have any troubles with the ND1 mod. Definitely get a stronger psu. I'm returning my RaidMax 630 tomorrow to Frys and picking up something with more bite and equal dual rails.

Yeah, I gotta figure out a good PSU that I won't need to replace in a year... I have had this one for around 21 months, maybe 18 (don't remember for sure!). Anyone have some good recommendations to look into? I'd like to keep it at $150 or less, but I know it probably is gonna have to be more :(.

EDIT: I'm thinking toward the Corsair TX750, but I can't find anywhere to buy it. Anyone know of a store with it?

I'd be interested in installing a ND1 but the idea of bending or using pliers scares the bejesus out of me.

I'd be interested in installing a ND1 but the idea of bending or using pliers scares the bejesus out of me.

It did scare me too at first, but once I actually started it was much easier and safer than it sounds :).

I decided to bend, and cover the pins' flattened tops with a little electrical tape. The connectors on each card came off with pliers without a ton of difficulty, had to keep going from left side to right side a little at a time to get them off, took maybe 2 minutes each on that. Pins are pretty thick, and bent down easily, should be cake to get the connector back on later. I looked at drilling at first and even was about to do it when I realized the connector wouldn't fit even with quite a bit of drilling, and that one of the shroud's screwholes connects with the base in a spot that you would need to drill to get it to not hit the connector.

EDIT: I think my PSU (Corsair HX 520w) is not strong enough for my rig :(... when I overclock much past 720ish my computer has the screen go black a time or two, or just locks while on the desktop, even though Rivatuner shows the temperatures as 50ish for my SLI pair. I have upgraded air cooling (Thermaltake ND1's). Also having it lock if I go into 3D when overclocked, though I can run the Crysis GPU bench over and over without issue at its 675/1950 "KO" speeds. Another thing that's making me think it's the PSU is that ATItool can heat the cards up to about 66, but it locks sometimes after 5-6 minutes, sometimes after 1-2, even when the temps aren't as high as it's gone before without locking.

My system is:

Q6600 @ 3.15, 1.53v
2x eVGA 8800GT KO 512MB in SLI
2 hard drives
eVGA 680i NF68-A1 SLI motherboard
4x1GB RAM sticks
7 120mm case fans, plus two 80ish-mm fans that the aftermarket coolers use
Optical drive
X-fi sound card

Not sure if it's just a really bad set of cards for overclocking, or if it's just too little power from my Corsair HX 520w PSU :(... any thoughts? It seemed iffy in the beginning, now I'm thinking it actually isn't enough.

I dunno man you might be pushing it, something like 35 amps or so may be needed for that rig on load overclocked, maybe more, you have 40 though. I know a 620 will run it no probs as we have a guy on XS forums running same rig without issue. The cards only use like 50 watts more than a 2900xt does so it seems kinda hard to believe the 520 wont run them when they will run quad rig overclocked with a 2900xt....

It apparrently was temperature, not the PSU. I noticed my computer was a bit too close to the wall for a good airflow path out the case... about 6 inches. I moved it to around 14 inches away, and temperatures dropped a good bit. I'm running 740core/1836shader/2100mem without issue over several Crysis GPU benches and 10 minutes of ATItool right now :D. Thanks guys!

It apparrently was temperature, not the PSU. I noticed my computer was a bit too close to the wall for a good airflow path out the case... about 6 inches. I moved it to around 14 inches away, and temperatures dropped a good bit. I'm running 740core/1836shader/2100mem without issue over several Crysis GPU benches and 10 minutes of ATItool right now :D. Thanks guys!

hx520 should be fine especially considering these cards aren't as power hungry. are you running the stock coolers?

I read through the thread, but I'm getting a little confused.

Can anyone recommend a good cooler for the 8800GT that is *quiet* and inexpensive? Size doesn't really matter, I have lots of room in the case and no PCI cards. Gotta factor in an extra $10 or so for a quiet fan if it doesn't come with one.

yes... the VF900 ... at stock speeds I went from being at 65 degrees C on load with the fan at 50% to 40-45ish degrees (ambient temperature 68-70 degrees F, the fan set low to medium speed) ... the ram runs MUCH cooler too although I'm not using the rather small ramsinks that come with it, I have my own that are probably 2x the size that I had from my other card (although given how cool my ram stays the ramsinks included should be sufficient) The sinks that come with this card stick better then any I've ever bought, so you don't have to worry about them falling off. There are no mosfet coolers though, so you'll have to order 3 squarish ones and one narrow rectangular one in order to cool them all. You could also be really ghetto and superglue a bunch of pennies together. :p

yes... the VF900 ... at stock speeds I went from being at 65 degrees C on load with the fan at 50% to 40-45ish degrees (ambient temperature 68-70 degrees F, the fan set low to medium speed) ... the ram runs MUCH cooler too although I'm not using the rather small ramsinks that come with it, I have my own that are probably 2x the size that I had from my other card (although given how cool my ram stays the ramsinks included should be sufficient) The sinks that come with this card stick better then any I've ever bought, so you don't have to worry about them falling off. There are no mosfet coolers though, so you'll have to order 3 squarish ones and one narrow rectangular one in order to cool them all.

That thing is almost $40 shipped, plus I'd have to order separate mosfet coolers. Screw that.

hx520 should be fine especially considering these cards aren't as power hungry. are you running the stock coolers?

Nope, I'm on Thermaltake ND1's (like the stock GTX cooler basically). :). Glad to hear another voice giving reassurance about the PSU, was about to drop cash I didn't want to spend on one :(.

Just strapped on my Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 and quite frankly I'm shocked by the results. My case has great cooling (Stacker 830 with a bunch of 120mm fans), but the stock cooler on my eVGA was running really hot for some reason.

Idle - 70C
Load - 91C

So I strapped on the Accelero S1 along with some Arctic Silver, added a Cooler Master 120mm fan I had lying around, set it to blow down on the heatsink and hit the rest of the card. Massive improvement!

Idle - 40C
Load - 48C

Well, I'm pretty happy now. How can the stock heatsink covering the entire card possibly be so bad?

Can you do a picture ??

Whats my best bet? I was really happy with the vf900 on the 7900gt. Really dont want to take it off as i will probably be selling it.

Will the vf900 work good with the 8800gt? I have a pretty quiet system, so looking for something at least roughly the same volume as the vf900 and hopefully close in price.

VF900 looks good to me too but $40 plus another set of sinks for the vr's is starting to kinda defeat the purpose of this video card.

Now, if you already own a VF900, your a lucky dog but you still have to order another set of sinks.

Whats my best bet? I was really happy with the vf900 on the 7900gt. Really dont want to take it off as i will probably be selling it.

Will the vf900 work good with the 8800gt? I have a pretty quiet system, so looking for something at least roughly the same volume as the vf900 and hopefully close in price.

How much do you plan on selling your gt for? I considered doing it too, but I'm always scared it's going to be worth like $40.

I returned the RaidMax psu and got a PC Power and Cooling 610watt. Actually quieter and better psu overall. Hasnt helped with artifacting, but at least I dont have to worry about psu being a factor.

Idle - 70C
Load - 91C

Idle - 40C
Load - 48C

You betcha :)

(Copied from my thread on OCF)
Hazaro said:
Stock Idle = 56C
Stock Load = 86C
Stock Crysis Load = 90C[/B]

2005075730015543660_rs.jpg

The S1 is a monster. :eek:
(650/1625/950) (700/1720/1000)
2001474968759504098_rs.jpg

Under UT3 and Crysis it hits a max of 52C even under 740/1890/999 when I was playing UT3. :D

Pic of awesome/messy/dusty card

How much do you plan on selling your gt for? I considered doing it too, but I'm always scared it's going to be worth like $40.

Im not sure either, ive heard around ~$100. Mine was artifacting so i used that as an excuse to buy an 8800gt :eek: . I did have it volt modded with the conductive ink mod and i didnt try taking that off. So my plan is to take that off and let my buddy borrow the card and see if it works ok (he has one 7900gt already, will do SLI) and then if so ill sell it to him.

As i said im hesitant to remove the vf900 off it since i dont have the stock hsf for it anymore. Im thinking of just saying screw it and buying a new one.

Back