8800GT Cooling Thread (Pics)

I use the VF700cu and ti works rather well. At 740/1750/2000 the max temperature ends up at 72c under full ATI tool load, with the side fan turned on, it decreases. With the stock cooler temps at around 95c could be seen. It's not the best cooler for sure, but it's better than stock and I had one lying around so, whaddya know =)

got an S1 and the turbo kit

I still am not sure about the cleaning of the ram before you install the sinks.
the site says use an eraser and a tissue.
I have no idea what they are talking about.

clean all the sticky shit off the ram from the thermal pads.

k so with my set-up i get 50 idle and 60 with load on the most extreme games like crysis.

Fist pic i have a 80mm fan setup right in front of the hard drive bay.
PB130333.jpg

Second pic i have a second fan blowing out of the case
PB130334.jpg

Case closed
PB130335.jpg

dont have bb over here, do you have the manufacture or the model number?

I'm so glad I got the S1 + Turbo Module. ($32 from newbegg) Sure it was a pain to put in, But nothing beats it when you consider the cost/performance/quietness. Temps in a 21C room with from 54 idle/ 74 load to 37 idle/ 51 load.
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

I'm so glad I got the S1 + Turbo Module. ($32 from newbegg) Sure it was a pain to put in, But nothing beats it when you consider the cost/performance/quietness. Temps in a 21C room with from 54 idle/ 74 load to 37 idle/ 51 load.
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

very nice!, do you have memory heatsinks on there too? i cant really see them :cool:

very nice!, do you have memory heatsinks on there too? i cant really see them

Yep, I had to boil off the stock tape they came with and then I used a dab of ceramique and a little crazy glue to stick them on. And I used my dremmel to cut the long piece of heatsink they give you into smaller pieces to cover the other chips that the stock HSF unit was touching. (but now it looks like they make an S1 kit for the 8800gt's so that probably not neccesary) The other pain I was referring to was that the cooler blocks two of the sata ports on my mobo. The sata cables with a right angle connector on one end will still fit, but I only had one and had to do a little re-routing of my cables. And the fans on the Turbo Module are exposed, so you have to be carefull nothing moves into them accidentally. Here you can see the ramsinks better.

How much does that Accelero add to the width of the card (if any)? I can't quite tell from the picture if it adds to the width (from the slot towards the side of the case) or not. I am interested in that cooler myself, but I am afraid my side case fan might hit it.

Dave

It's a good 2" wider than the card. So if you have a fan on your side panel, you might have clearance issues.

How many real slots do the S1 + fan take? Your picture looks smaller than some other peoples.

Yep, I had to boil off the stock tape they came with and then I used a dab of ceramique and a little crazy glue to stick them on. And I used my dremmel to cut the long piece of heatsink they give you into smaller pieces to cover the other chips that the stock HSF unit was touching. (but now it looks like they make an S1 kit for the 8800gt's so that probably not neccesary) The other pain I was referring to was that the cooler blocks two of the sata ports on my mobo. The sata cables with a right angle connector on one end will still fit, but I only had one and had to do a little re-routing of my cables. And the fans on the Turbo Module are exposed, so you have to be carefull nothing moves into them accidentally. Here you can see the ramsinks better.

does ceramic transfer heat? and can you link me S1 kit? i seen the s1 by itself but didnt notice any heatsinks. :confused:

OK so for you people with the S1, how are you dealing with the extra components that need cooling, the voltage regulation chips and whatnot? I've got plenty of spare heatsinks laying around, any particular size that fits?

Why does everyone think that the MOSFETs need cooling?

The voltage regulators on my motherboard get way hotter than anything on this card.

The MOSFETs on the card are buried under a thick layer of thermal tape and a hunk of metal that has no airflow. I'm willing to bet they get hotter with the stock cooler on than with the S1 installed anyway.

I bought an Accelero S1 that has the VR heatsinks for older cards (like the X19xx series).
I took one of those heatsinks and cut it in 2, then snipped bits off some fins to get them to fit over all the VR's on the 8800GT.
I applied Ceramique to the underside and tied the heatsinks on with green garden wire.
The S1's cooling fins make slight contact and push them onto the VR's a little more.
Its by no means the best contact but it works fine.

I read that Arctic Cooling have announced support for the Accelero S1 by claiming that the VRegs dont need a cooler.
I'm not entirely happy about this as the original NVidia cooler does cool the the VRs.
I agree that it should be fine in either the winter or if not overclocking a lot but when pushing the card hard or in the heat of summer, I would not recommend running without some cooling on the VRs until it is established that they really are safe.

I'm going to get my heat probe on the VRs and do some testing with and without the (badly fitted) heatsinks at different clock speeds to see the max temps and the differences.
If anyone knows what the VRs are and have any data on their max operating temp, that would be mighty handy.

the mofsets are a key part in stability as they supply the actual power

Why does everyone think that the MOSFETs need cooling?

The voltage regulators on my motherboard get way hotter than anything on this card.

The MOSFETs on the card are buried under a thick layer of thermal tape and a hunk of metal that has no airflow. I'm willing to bet they get hotter with the stock cooler on than with the S1 installed anyway.

Why? Because most of us have this crazy insane idea that nVidia knew what it was doing when it designed the cooling system to make contact with the MOSFETs too. Hunk of metal and thermal tape or not it's still there.

Oh and the voltage regulation circuitry on your motherboard isn't the same as what's on your card so I see no reason to make the comparison at all.

Why? Because most of us have this crazy insane idea that nVidia knew what it was doing when it designed the cooling system to make contact with the MOSFETs too. Hunk of metal and thermal tape or not it's still there.

Oh and the voltage regulation circuitry on your motherboard isn't the same as what's on your card so I see no reason to make the comparison at all.

The comparison is "oh my god it gets hot slap a heatsink on it!"

I see no reason to think that these MOSFETs need any cooling solution at all. I'd be very surprised if someone demonstrated to me that they get *hotter* with nothing over them and decent direct airflow (as from an S1 or VF900 or similar) than they do under 1.5mm of thermal tape in an enclosed metal case with no direct airflow whatsoever.

In any case, my eVGA with SilenX IXG-80CA and RAMsinks - and no MOSFET cooling - is 100% stable at 720 MHz core, 1800 MHz shaders, and 2000 MHz RAM for hours on end.

The 8800gt does NOT need MOSFET cooling, but it certainly doesn't hurt. If you think that the MOSFET does need cooling because "Nvidia knows what it's doing" --just take a look at the 8800gt cooler and you have your answer.

A fan that only runs at 30%... A heatsink too small... A newly redesigned fan released in just 2 months... The thermal tape and heatsink shroud over the MOSFET probably doesn't do that much better than case airflow over an uncovered MOSFET

fanone.jpg

Accelero S1 + Yate Loon 120mm fan

Idle - 34c

Load - 46c

I do have some heatsinks on the VRM, it was an excuse to get the dremel out ;)

I got the S1 with a 120mm Antec Tri-speed fan on it set to the low speed... idle is like 39C? load is maybe 55C? This is with voltmod and 750Mhz.

2078089659_403b730403_b.jpg

2078088391_83d92cec8d_b.jpg

I put heatsinks on the VRMs and stuff... not sure if it does any good. The stock cooler cooled them yes but the stock cooler also covered them up with no airflow. If the stock cooler didn't cool them they would have been insulated with no cooling at all. Without the stock cooler installed they get airflow. Anyways I took some extra ramsinks I had bent them up to fit. They were super tall. They're not installed in pics tho. I ran it without them for awhile as well with no issue.

Nice case, but you do need a low profile cpu cooler. I would rather do the NSK3480 + ninja.

Back