8800GT dual slot vs. 8800GT Akimbo

Greetings all,

I've gotten some info from a few people but I wanted to check with the masses to see if anyone has an 8800GT dual slot as apposed to an 8800GT Akimbo?

8800GT Dual Slot .vs 8800GT Akimbo[ for comparason. Both base cards are the same clocks, memory etc... the only difference I can see is the design of the cooler.

I've found what seems to be a heack of a deal on the dual slot but if the cooling isn't as good as the Akimbo I"m really not saving anything, (well I still am but not as much as I want.) ;)

Any thoughts, insights, prognostications would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks,
Fallen

Looks pretty much identical to me. The "dual slot" looks more like the old gts320 style cooler whereas the akimbo has the newer gts512 cooler.

The Akimbo does have the backplate with the heatpipe, but even then it's nothing that would make that much of a difference

And I assume by one heck of a deal you don't mean buying direct from EVGA

If you can get the dual slot version for a reasonable amount under ~$193 then it might be a deal as that's the current rate on newegg for the AKIMBO

Then again, I would check out the prices for the g92 8800gts as you can get the elitegroup one for under $190 and other more reputable brands for a very reasonable price now a days

I have the Akimbo edition and cooling is fine, although I decided to use the Antec SpotCooler on the side of the card because it does get hot, but I went from 7900GT to 8800GT Akimbo so I dont know how good other heatsink coolers are with the 8800GT cards. I am happy with it, runs quiet, gaming is awsome.

The Akimbo does have the backplate with the heatpipe, but even then it's nothing that would make that much of a difference

And I assume by one heck of a deal you don't mean buying direct from EVGA

If you can get the dual slot version for a reasonable amount under ~$193 then it might be a deal as that's the current rate on newegg for the AKIMBO
Yea I found the Dual slot for $160 AR, ($188 before rebate) ;)

Then again, I would check out the prices for the g92 8800gts as you can get the elitegroup one for under $190 and other more reputable brands for a very reasonable price now a days
I've already got an 8800GT with an Accelero, was looking to pick up a second for SLI and didn't want to go with a second accelero, (need to be able to vent some of that head out of the case.)

The dual slot (new) cooler is a cheap piece of crap. It is all aluminum, the contact patch is rough as concrete, and it is super loud when cranked past 40%. I'm upgrading to the AC Accelero soon (ordered them today). If you really want to vent the air then go with the AKIMBO.

Back