8800GT gets a new reference cooler

I remember when I use to own an X1900XT with one of those dustbuster fans, the noise at startup was like a blower, but it never used to sound like that even under full load.

Since I'd be more interested in the 8800GT 256 because the type of games that I play, i.e. Counter Strike Source, Dark Crusade, Command and Conquer. I guess the 8800GT 256 should be able to handle them without a sweat.

im still buying me a good 8800gt cooler. the sound isn't all that bothering temps sux tho. who cares about this news.....

im still buying me a good 8800gt cooler. the sound isn't all that bothering temps sux tho. who cares about this news.....

I think you're missing something. You can turn the fan on high without much noise now. So now you can turn up the fan, lower the temp a great deal and not have it sound like an airplane taking off in your room.

Umm...according to the last post the new design is on a manufacturer only basis. i.e. XFX has their blackdog and Leadtech now has a new reference cooler, to which the article is referring to. Unless im mistaken that means that EVGA BFG and all the other manufacturers will have the stock cooler quote from the original link follows:

Seems you guys were mistaken. There’s no change to the reference design. The improved cooler is a Leadtek initiative and has nothing to do with other brands’ shipments.

“According to our sources Nvidia hasn’t changed the reference cooling and doesn’t even plan to do so. Our sources also claim that Expreview.com just managed to get their hands on Leadtek’s own 8800GT design which uses an improved cooler, similar to those we saw on XFX cards a while back.”

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4585&Itemid=1

But i could be wrong.

I, for one, is getting the new 8800GTS-512MG. I figured that I would have to get a after-market cooler for the GT and with the additional cash and work, I might as well wait for the GTS.

I had the 8800GTS-320MG for a while and the noise was reasonable.

Umm...according to the last post the new design is on a manufacturer only basis. i.e. XFX has their blackdog and Leadtech now has a new reference cooler, to which the article is referring to. Unless im mistaken that means that EVGA BFG and all the other manufacturers will have the stock cooler quote from the original link follows:

But i could be wrong.

On the evga boards, there are pictures from customers who recieved EVGA cards recently and they have the new cooler. Even if it's not an across the board change, at least we know EVGA is doing it as well. Here I just made a comparison picture:
evgafanru2.jpg

Well Nvidia, it's about time. I am also curious about new aftermarket cooling for the 8800gt.

Newegg hasn't received 8800GT SSCs since last Monday (Dec. 3). How likely is it that the next shipment of 8800GT SSCs will have the new cooler?

so anyone have got a 8800GT with the new cooler can you please left a post here?

i am trying to have a small survey finding out what area got the new fan and what area haven't.

Back