8800gts 512mb idle temp?

bm5

n00b
Hi there.

Just installed a new BFG 8800GTS 512MB, but i noticed that the temps seem kind of high. Does 75C at idle seem too high? Is the ntune temp reliable?

thanks!

That seems really high. Actually, it seems some kind of error high - mine loads in the low 60s, so idling at 75C is almost impossible unless you are using it on Mercury or something. It should idle in the 30-40 range. Check the temps with Rivatuner or HWmonitor or something and see if you get similar temps.

Even though those temps seem high to me as well at first glance, I'm not so sure that they're overly high for this card. I've just been searching the web for information on this, and I'm finding quite a few posts asking the exact same question. It seems that a LOT of people are noticing these "high" temps and asking if it's normal on various forums. Is it possible that some of these cards just idle much hotter than we're used to seeing on other cards?

I'm real curious to hear other feedback on this so that we can look for a pattern to the temp readings, and see if perhaps certain cards simply idle at higher temps.

Thanks,

Larry

It is completely possible some do idle higher if the cooler isn't making proper contact with the core. Also, if your ambient temp is rather high, it will idle/load much higher than someone in a controlled environment would get. Try bumping the fan speed up to 70-80% and see if that has any effect. My GTS never reaches 75C (highest I've seen was 57) with 80% fan speed while being overclocked to 790/1890/2250. If you are feeling adventurous, you could remove the cooler and see if everything is making good contact and that there isn't a complete excess of thermal grease on the core. Just make sure you don't break the thermal pads on the memory.

The 8800GTS 512MB I put in my son's computer ran about the same temps at idle. The fan speed is set around 29% and it doesn't seem to ever speed up. Try using Rivatuner or something similar to set the speed to 50% or 60%. The temps will go down to reasonable levels and the fan stays pretty quiet still as well.

Back