8800GTS overkill for my games?

blacklotus

n00b
Hi,

Is the 8800 GTS overkill for the types of games i play on a 22" monitor?

Games i play: Rome, CCGenerals, MiddleEarth1&2, Civilization4, AgeofEmpires3

Future games: CCtiberium, Company of Heroes, Supreme Commander

As you guys can see i only play RTS games and i know i don't need a high end card for these. It doesnt bother me at all if i can't have everything on max (filters on, shadows,fog).

Should i spend more on CPU instead? I'm planning to buy the E4300, but if i can save money on the card maybe i can get a E6600 instead. What do you guys think?

I think 8800GTS is just fine for your resolution and games especially for the future games your planning to play. I would ponder whether to get a 320MB or 640MB version of the card, maybe 320MB is enough. Processor upgrade never hurts either, but would buy the 3D card first.

ps. Whats your old card?

I have a 8800 GTS and I am running on a 22" and I love it. Could you get by with a lower card prolly, but new games are going to come out and you will need the higher end card.

I know you said the eye candy doesn't really matter to you but I'm guessing you haven't the game with everything at max. I play COD2 and I went from 2 7600gt in sli to the 8800 and with every thing maxed I was really impressed. IMO those games are just more fun with everything maxed out.

If you can hold off for a week or two there seems to be a price drop coming and you might be able to get both things you want.

Back