8800GTS to 8800GTX?

HotGore

Limp Gawd
I bought a 8800 GTS 320mb to hold me over until the fabled r600. I soon after bought a 24" LCD and the r600 didn't turn out yet, unless ATI pulls out a driver miracle. So in this case I am thinking of getting a 8800 GTX since the GTS is under powered for my visual wants. I was wondering if I should wait and see if NV does actually do the G81(which doesn't look good since there is already talk of the G92) or for the r600 respin?

doesnt look like nvidia will put out anything major on the high end until 9xxx at the end of the year. so buy a gtx now if you need more juice than you have.

both of them should be out around the same time so i think you are in a good spot. I just got a 8800gts 640mb and am very happy. After the new year i will be looking into upgrading but for now i couldn't be happier. Sure you can wait for the next NEXT update but that will be 18 months from now.

It depends on what your visual wants are. My GTX can run fine in 1920x1200 in most games, but I still have to turn off some eyecandy or run 1650x1080 on the newer games to get absolutely smooth (60 FPS) framerates (like STALKER).

In other words, I don't think there is enough difference between a GTX and GTS 320 to warrant a $200+ upgrade.

The problem is that when the DX 10 titles come out, neither the GTS or GTX is going to be able to play them in full glory at highest resolution - not a chance.

Conversely, with almost all current titles, few care if you are zooming at 100 FPS with the GTX or 80 FPS with the GTS?

Therefore, I don't see the point in spending $200 more for faster frames where it's almost entirely not needed, just to go marginally faster when and where you want it to - with the DX10 titles slated for release later in the year.

Better to save that $200 and grab another GTS with it for SLI when that time comes, or get the revised video card lineup that will run more efficiently.

Only real justification I can see is if you absolutely must have 40 FPS+ in Oblivion or Stalker specifically at max settings.

There won't be alot of new high end cards coming out anytime soon it appears. For a 24" monitor i can tell you there is a big diffrence between the 320meg 8800 and the 8800 GTX at 1900x1200. I would do the upgrade personally.

either the upgrade or get a second 8800gts

EDIT: sorry, nvm, i just saw that you have a DS3.

I too was contemplating this, but on a 19" monitor, I thought this was enough. However, I just installed the DiRT demo, and was quite surprised that the hardware requirements were high. I think I'll just wait for the 8900 series. I guess if you are comfortable with good, not exceptional framerates, then its alright to keep what you have.

I should correct myself - if you are sitting on the 320MB version then yes, I would definitely offload that and get the full GTS.

The 320MB solution is a good deal for people running lower resolutions and less eyecandy. But the memory limitation is more pronounced the higher up the monitor scale you go.

Anyone else think it's a shame that game designers can't squeeze max performance out of these cards for smooth play that looks good?

These are games, not 3D rendered movies, sheesh.

Anyone else think it's a shame that game designers can't squeeze max performance out of these cards for smooth play that looks good?

These are games, not 3D rendered movies, sheesh.

Actually, that what games are becoming, interactive 3D movies.

As far as performance of games these days, high-end C2D based systems with just a single 8800 GTX slice through just about any game on the market at 1920x1200 with no sweat. Higher resolutions might require SLI for sliky smooth performance with all the eye candy.

The 640MB GTS is the price/performance/longevity winner right now, at least for serious gaming. 320MB is already not enough for top end dx9 (Oblivion). Remember also that with the 320MB cards, SLi will not increase your performance at higher resolutions when you were already memory limited- I plan on adding a second GTS for DX10 stuff (the Lost Planet DX10 demo chokes at 1600x1200 with everthing on) or otherwise upgrading.

Actually, that what games are becoming, interactive 3D movies.

As far as performance of games these days, high-end C2D based systems with just a single 8800 GTX slice through just about any game on the market at 1920x1200 with no sweat. Higher resolutions might require SLI for sliky smooth performance with all the eye candy.

All depends on what you think of as "games these days." I, as a brand new GTX owner, am frustrated/scared already that I won't be able to run DX10 titles at acceptable framerates even at 1600x1200, much less 1920x1200. I saw drops in to the low 20's with the Lost Planet DX10 demo and averages right at 30 in the test for Lost Planet at 1600x1200 AFx16 AA off, but hopefully with more mature drivers and game code that won't continue to be the case.

I've been considering the jump from GTS to GTX myself.... but considering that the only cards that even remotely stand a chance right now with Lost Planet are the 8800gts, 8800gtx, and the 2900xt - I'll be saving my money considering the people who own the previously mentioned cards are a small percentage of the market.

Don't be too depressed with the DX10 benchmarks that are out now. In the case of Lost Planet DX10, I was so sad when I was getting around 24 fps with 8800GTS 640MB SLI and E4300 @ 3 GHz @ 1600x1200. So I downloaded and tried to DX9 demo (under Vista) and my frame rate jumped up about 2-3 fps per scene. Don't forget, Capcom made the game, and take a look at how great Resident Evil 4 was for PC :) .

As for the other benchmarks such as COH DX10, Call of Juarez DX10, FSX DX 10, these are all games originally with DX 9 render paths getting bolt on DX 10 features. Not real indicators of performance.

Hopefully Crysis will be the first game in which the programmers efficiently use the DirectX 10 render path to get faster frames and better visuals then the DX 9 path (they have claimed this).

Regardless, it will be some time before developers get the hang of DX 10, and a long time till DirectX 10 only games come out.

Stick with the 8800 GTS 320MB, the GTX will be a nice performance boost, but like everyone said, unless you need to run at 40 FPS with a high resolution and high settings in DX9 STALKER and Oblivion, it would be more wise to wait. After all R600 and G80 are architectures designed with DirectX in mind.

At CES, a Core 2 Duo, an 8800gtx, and 2gb of RAM was running Crysis at a playable framerate at 1920x1200, so think the 8800gtx is going to do great in Direct3D 10. :D

Lost Planet is CPU limited and not GPU limited.

Guess I'll try it again at 3.2Ghz later. I wasn't looking at CPU load at the time, so that might very well be the case.

Back