8800GTX 768 > 8800GTS 512?

The GTX is definitely the better video card. For now 8800GTX>8800GTS G92>8800GT

so you're saying the GTX is better despite tweaktown showing higher FPS on Crysis using a GTS than a GTX.

I don't know how reliable tweaktown are but theirs is the only comparision I can see between the two cards.

I'm running at 2560x1600 if that makes any difference?

Yeah the GTX has atleast 20GB/s more memory bandwidth (not sure on the exact ammount) + 256mb more memory. The GTS may be able to beat the GTX on shader operations, but you still need the memory, esp at extreme resolutions.

Why couldn't of they just stuck a G92 onto the G80 GTS/GTX PCBs with the 320/384 bit bus, call it the 8900 and call it a day?

What overclocking speeds can i expect for a GTX then? (If it fit a ThermalRight HR-03 and 92mm fan)

Why couldn't of they just stuck a G92 onto the G80 GTS/GTX PCBs with the 320/384 bit bus, call it the 8900 and call it a day?

It does quite work that way, the data bus is actually part of chip its self. But I agree they shouldnt have castrated the bus width on the g92.

Yea same dillema here. looking to get 24" monitor and debating which card to put with Q6600 build.
Seems like the GTX still edges it at higher res, just pains a bit to go back to what is basically the older model.

Any thoughts on the VP2 PureVideo HD engine and PCIe2.0 on the new GTS? worth it?

Yea same dillema here. looking to get 24" monitor and debating which card to put with Q6600 build.
Seems like the GTX still edges it at higher res, just pains a bit to go back to what is basically the older model.

Any thoughts on the VP2 PureVideo HD engine and PCIe2.0 on the new GTS? worth it?

I think if I was buying now I would personally go with the 512mb GTS, its $100+ cheaper and near the same speeds and sometimes better than the GTX, and if you purchase through Evga, upgrade to the supposed new offerings in January.

And for the second question, I dont think the new decoding engine is really anything great, cause if your decoding video to watch does it really matter if your cpu is too bogged down to do other things?

EVGA GTS 512 is £245 in the UK

Unbranded 8800GTX is £235 until tomorrow (see links above)

The 8800GTX is superior at stock settings to the 8800GTS 512mb, at least for large monitors. If you can get one of those for cheaper, I suggest you do that.

Thanks nvidia for confusing everyone and then having no stock at xmas

hah! Finally someone other then me points out the major hack-job Nvidia has made the 8 series.

In-adequate supply
Retarded nomenclature
No road maps
No price refresh's on current old cards.

I'm about ready to declare the 8800GT major suck age because its so hard to get one.

The 8800GTX is superior at stock settings to the 8800GTS 512mb, at least for large monitors. If you can get one of those for cheaper, I suggest you do that.

hah! Finally someone other then me points out the major hack-job Nvidia has made the 8 series.

In-adequate supply
Retarded nomenclature
No road maps
No price refresh's on current old cards.

I'm about ready to declare the 8800GT major suck age because its so hard to get one.

Last time I checked, ATi had every single one of those short falls as well, so blame them some would you please?

I got a question, what if nvidia made 20 million of these cards, and they all sold out @ $269? How many cards does nvidia have to make so when they do run out of them, it not a question of their supply, but the demand of the card itself? Every card since the 6 series for nvidia has sold out quick when it came out, they keep increasing the number on hand when they launch the cards, and they keep selling out. Could it be because everyone and their grandmother wants this card, and supply cant keep up with demand?

I'm sure they could delay the cards release, and have more produced and ready to go, but then you or someone like you would bitch because of nvidia delaying cards.

All I am seeing on the forums today is bitch bitch bitch about somehow nvidia is fucking up, when they have done everything with the 8800 cards perfect in every way possible (except pricing), but people like you are still going to buy the card you want even tho its jacked up 50-60-80 dollars thanks to the Etailers, but it will still be nvidias fault.

EVGA GTS 512 is £245 in the UK

Unbranded 8800GTX is £235 until tomorrow (see links above)

I wish pricing was like that in Southern California, hehe.

And to MrWizard, you just live in the wrong place, it is so easy to get an 8800gt out here, we got Fry's, Bestbuy, Pcclub and even Mwave, which is like newegg.com with a will-call option.

I wish pricing was like that in Southern California, hehe.

Well, £245 (GTS 512) is equivalent to $500

And £235 (GTX) is equivalent to $480

The GTX is not a bad deal at $480 but the GTS 512 at $500 is not a good deal at all.

i'm in the extact same boat as you. GTX or GTS. i only game at 1280x1024 atm (new screen this time next year) but i want to get crysis and the new games next year looking at there best. The GTS and GTX are both £234. From what ive seen the GTS beats the GTX in most games when no AA/AF is used. But as soon as AA/AF are used the GTX pulls ahead of GTS by at least 1-6 frames. It is a hard choice, buy old tec and game with AA or buy the GTS and game with no AA/af but oc it loads more then the GTX (hows the GTX oc wise can it reach GTS speeds) hummm. Sum one help me choose!!! im tearing my hair out arggg:mad:

Both are probably overkill at that res really. Pick up a 8800GT for £50-60 less and save the rest imo.

But if your disregarding that - i'd probably go for the GTS (£211 at Scan btw) solely on the basis of less heat/wattage - theres not much in it, and the GTX only really pulls away at higher res's, so not much benefit to you for the next year! - enjoy

yes maybe the GT might be a better card but i think the are very overpriced imo. But that GTS is very good price this does that brand OC well? its only £40 more then a GT lol this has really confused me now.

tht scan gts card is running the shader clock over 300 mhz less then other cards ive seen.

So run RivaTuner. 5 minute fix.

As for the GTX/GTS 512MB debate... lol.

An OCed GTX is going to be faster. The issue is keeping it cool enough. If you're willing to run water and gaming at high res the GTX is still the superior card, though you may want to grab an Ultra for the A3 core -- slightly less heat, higher OCs.

My GTX will run 675Mhz core 1620Mhz shader without artifacts on water. Temps top out in the mid 40's C. I'm running out of voltage. I may volt mod at some point, but for now it's plenty fast. I've seen others go higher with GTXs, but rarely much higher on an A2 core without a volt mod. The Ultras will give you ~100-125Mhz more before they need more volts, on average. Volt modding obviously voids warranties, though.

I'm going with the GTX and a thermalright hr-03 plus to keep it cool. I'm gonna squeeze a 120mm fan on if i can.

thanks for the help

Back