8800GTX + HR-03 Plus + this fan?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999613

if your not looking for silent , I would go with that bad boy look at the CFM 119!! 0_o

here are some others http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835119034

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999603

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835220001 <------ that would be nice because of the manual fan speed control

your gonna want one with a good amount of airflow, remember were talking about a video card here. they get hot!

Tornados are great if noise is not an issue, but I would like to get my hands on one of these in the future......220cfm

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/de12gf.html

That thing will rendered every single PCI slot useless. If you do need at least 1 PCI, go with the 92mm or the regular 120mm. I would say go with the 120mm instead of the smaller 92mm. The 120mm 1600rmp Scythe will outperform the 92mm.

You can get the Thermalright HR-03 Plus cheaper at NCIX

Cool, thanks for the NCIX link.

I was really hoping that the HR-03+ is such a crazy heatsink that I wouldn't need a crazy fan to cool it. My current PC is completely silent and I'd like to stay in the quiet range with my new build.

Can a 120mm work on that heatsink? Anyone have a pic or link? My only concern other than fitment would be the dead spot on a 120mm fan right in the middle of the heatsink.

Cool, thanks for the NCIX link.

I was really hoping that the HR-03+ is such a crazy heatsink that I wouldn't need a crazy fan to cool it. My current PC is completely silent and I'd like to stay in the quiet range with my new build.

Can a 120mm work on that heatsink? Anyone have a pic or link? My only concern other than fitment would be the dead spot on a 120mm fan right in the middle of the heatsink.

A 120mm will work on this but you can't use the 92mm fan wire clip on it. What I did was I use a double-sided adhesive(something like this with padding to absorb vibration you can find at your hardware store) and place a thin strip on four corners. This thing stick pretty well and pretty strong too. I also add a strong thin elastic band(you can probably find them at your hardware store, you also might need a fan grill to keep the elastic contacting with the spinning blades) to it because I'm using type 2 setting. With type 1 setting, you might not need the extra elastic band since the double-sided adhesive will do just fine.

I have the 120mm 1600rpm Scythe and they are pretty quiet.

yes you can, but you can get it still cheaper at the canadian side ncix, and just use the american check out!

I don't believe it's the PLUS version. It only got 4heat pipes. You can also try it here but it's in Canadian dollars. NCIX and Canadadirect are both in Vancouver. You can still buy it at NCIX and they have an option that they will beat that price or match it. I think NCIX and Canadadirect is own by the same people.

I'm using a Panaflo running at 80% controlled in BIOS.

Because my Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme , I didn't have room to mount it above the card.
I have it mounted below using a pull fan setup, blowing the heat down away from my CPU. A spare 120mm I have
wouldn't work in a pull mount, (no problem mounting if pushing).
The fan blades would scrape the fins.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999613

if your not looking for silent , I would go with that bad boy look at the CFM 119!! 0_o
Whatever you do, do not buy that fan (Vantec Tornado). I have one and that motherf*cker is LOUD. My parents thought I was using a vacuum cleaner when it was turned on. I tried hooking up my Zalman FAN MATE 2 that came with the VF900-Cu to turn it down (can't do it through software) but its power greatly exceeded that of the controller and started burning it. You need a fancy fan controller to temper this thing.

On the other hand, apparently this thing outputs so much air that it can make itself hover. I have yet to try this but I will someday. Also, it let me get an E6600 to 3.6GHz on an el-cheapo Thermalright Ultra-90 cooler.

Will these x38 and x48 motherboard chipset support Intel Core 2 or it's for only the newer CPU like the penryn? I also wonder if these boards with DDR3 is backward compatible with DDR2.

EDIT: DUH, how did I post in the wrong thread?? LOL!

Will these x38 and x39 motherboard chipset support Intel Core 2 or it's for only the newer CPU like the penryn? I also wonder if these boards with DDR3 is backward compatible with DDR2.

DDR3 is not backward compatible with DDR2. There are however some motherboards which offer both (some P35s)

Yes the newer chipsets will support the current Core 2 Duo/Quads.
The DDR3 is not backward compatable. Some will be offered in DDR2 only/DDR3 only/DDR2 or DDR3 setups.

You will only be able to use one or the other type in the boards that support both DDR2 and DDR3.

A 120mm will work on this but you can't use the 92mm fan wire clip on it. What I did was I use a double-sided adhesive(something like this with padding to absorb vibration you can find at your hardware store) and place a thin strip on four corners. This thing stick pretty well and pretty strong too. I also add a strong thin elastic band(you can probably find them at your hardware store, you also might need a fan grill to keep the elastic contacting with the spinning blades) to it because I'm using type 2 setting. With type 1 setting, you might not need the extra elastic band since the double-sided adhesive will do just fine.

I have the 120mm 1600rpm Scythe and they are pretty quiet.
Thanks for the info! That scythe fan does look nice. I'll probably go with this approach since I love 120mm fans. Every other fan in my current case is 120mm and I plan to reuse it, so I'd like to stay consistent in terms of db.

Is there a known advantage to the Type 2 installation vs the Type 1 installation?

I'm using a Panaflo running at 80% controlled in BIOS.

Because my Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme , I didn't have room to mount it above the card.
I have it mounted below using a pull fan setup, blowing the heat down away from my CPU. A spare 120mm I have
wouldn't work in a pull mount, (no problem mounting if pushing).
The fan blades would scrape the fins.
Interesting. I'll have to see how my setup looks and determine if I want to do push or pull.

Just for kicks: I have the HR-03+ and an 1000RPM 120mm fan which is undervolted for approx. 850RPM cooling an 8800GTS@640 and it rarely gets over 70 Degrees Celcius, even when overclocked, Bioshock doesn't get it past 65 Degrees, OC is in my sig. So OP, get a low RPM 120mm fan, the Nexus 120mm would be perfect, to cool it, undervolt it if you feel it gets too noisy, that's my input anyways...
Good to know! I'm hoping I won't have to undervolt it...I like things as simple as possible. It's no big deal though, I'll have to play it by ear (pun intended!).

Whatever you do, do not buy that fan (Vantec Tornado). I have one and that motherf*cker is LOUD. My parents thought I was using a vacuum cleaner when it was turned on. I tried hooking up my Zalman FAN MATE 2 that came with the VF900-Cu to turn it down (can't do it through software) but its power greatly exceeded that of the controller and started burning it. You need a fancy fan controller to temper this thing.

On the other hand, apparently this thing outputs so much air that it can make itself hover. I have yet to try this but I will someday. Also, it let me get an E6600 to 3.6GHz on an el-cheapo Thermalright Ultra-90 cooler.

haha I know about the Vantec Tornado. One of my housemates in college used to have one and I could literally hear that thing down the hall and in my room. That probably contributed to my wanting a silent pc. I don't think i can go back now.

Thanks for the info! That scythe fan does look nice. I'll probably go with this approach since I love 120mm fans. Every other fan in my current case is 120mm and I plan to reuse it, so I'd like to stay consistent in terms of db.

Is there a known advantage to the Type 2 installation vs the Type 1 installation?

Well you won't know until you have the Thermalright HR-03 Plus right in front of you. If you have room to do either type 1 or 2 setup, than it's great! That way you can set it up to see what will give you a better temp for your GPU and even CPU.

I'm using type 2 method since that's my only option that will give me room for fitting since I have a large Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme on my CPU. My 120mm is pushing air up towards my CPU. having really try the pull yet but pulling air I believed isn't effective.

I might try the pull with 2 fans and see how that does since it will be blowing away from my CPU. 1 fan on the heatsink and 1 fan above the video card.

I also did a experimentation installing on the second PCIEx16 slot but it will run only in x8 mode and not x16. But the benchmark was almost exactly the same so no performances loss.

EDIT: I try the attaching the 2 120mm fans at the bottom of the heatsink using the pull and it's terrible. Gained 5 degrees. Back to the push.

120mm fan works great with the HR-03.

p792117992-4.jpg

Back