8800gtx & Micro Atx PSU

RayDaddy

[H]ard|Gawd
Is there a micro atx power supply out there that can handle a 8800 gtx and a OC'd C2D??

thanks

I guess the question is what is the most powerfull micro atx PSU then? I have seen some 450's on pricegrabber

Well, the thing you have to look for is a 12V rail(s) rated at 30A or higher as that's what the 8800GTX supposedly requires.

Going to be difficult finding a 30A rail in a MicroATX supply.

- JT

If you have a free 5.25" bay, you could get one of those bay mounted power supplies for video cards for it.

I forgot about that WF, that is probably going to be his only option.

- JT

The other thing is that some microATX cases actually use full-size ATX power supplies. If you're looking to upgrade a current system, check to make sure it actually uses a microATX PSU. The other option is just to custom fit a full-size PSU into your case (I did this and I'll try to get a pic up).

Yeah you might have to get 2 PSUs for the rig. One for the video card and one for everything else. What case do you have?

I have a monarch hornet case. they are made by lian Li. got it right before they went under.

anybody got a link the the 5.25 psu ??

I remember one guy put a full size ATX psu in his MCS Hornet. He had to mod it some. Basically he cut out the back of the case where the psu fit and the new atx psu stuck out about two inches from the back end. It worked fine though. The ATX psu he used was a 425w or a 450w. I forget which. Basically the ATX unit is same width and height. Just longer. He posted pics on the old Monarch website. It didnt look too bad neither.

Its an option you may want to consider if you cant find anything else to work. Just get a dremel and cut out the back end of the box where the psu normally sits. He cut out the area where the rear vent is for the psu fan. Just big enough so the new psu sticks out without rubbing the sides of the hole. Its ghetto but workable.

Yeah, it looks like that case could physically fit a full size ATX PSU, but has a microATX psu. It looks like toppower makes a microATX PSU (TOP-400FX) that would be strong enough (the THG review of the system had dual 7900GTXs and the rail layout is two 18A, which should theoretically be enough):
http://www.topower.com.tw/

Unfortunately, the english site doesn't seem to have all the products and the Taiwanese site is hard to read (unless you know Chinese). It looks like the power supplies are rebadged in the US as Epower:
http://www.epowertec.com/

Yeah, it looks like that case could physically fit a full size ATX PSU, but has a microATX psu. It looks like toppower makes a microATX PSU (TOP-400FX) that would be strong enough (the THG review of the system had dual 7900GTXs and the rail layout is two 18A, which should theoretically be enough):
http://www.topower.com.tw/
Dude, no WAY. Under system load with an 8800GTX the system draws 321W! A 400W power supply won't put out 400W, it is generally a bit less. A single 8800GTX also requires two PCI-E power connections, 1 6-pin and 1 8-pin. It must have a minimum of a 30A rail and 550W.

- JT

NVIDIA's published minimum requirement is 450W but this still seems a bit low to me. There isn't much overhead when a system is drawing 321W. If the power supply isn't running at the rated efficiency, the power supply will also have to work a lot harder to provide the juice.

- JT

If this were me, I'd be seriously considering upgrading to a better case that accepts an ATX supply.

- JT

the gtx card takes 2 standard 6 pins plugs.

The idea of modding for a atx supply is an interesting one

I have though of getting a different case but the other Qpacks are cheaply made. this is a Lian Li box. slide out board tray and all. and I already have it.

other option is to just find the biggest supply out there and hang the best card I can off it. or compromise on something like a 8600 that runs on slot power

New egg review quote on thermaltake 250watt bay psu has 2 6 pin plugs with pass through for 24pin mobo plug to start it in synch with machine. think i may have a winner.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16817153037

" Pros: Runs My 8800GTX SUPERCLOCKED fine. i have had it about 4 months and no problems. runs cool too.
Cons: none yet "

couple this with a decent psu for the rest and should be ok.

what do you think?

I'm a latecomer to this thread, but I'm horribly surprised no one has mentioned a Silverstone Element 500watt Short Cable edition?

That thing has 36amps combined 12v rails and its quite small.

I'm a latecomer to this thread, but I'm horribly surprised no one has mentioned a Silverstone Element 500watt Short Cable edition?
Because, although designed with MicroATX systems in mind, it has the footprint of an ATX supply. It's designed for SFF cases, like the SG01 and the MicroFly, that can accommodate a full size supply.

It's not a microATX PSU though.

I agree that the best bet is the 5.25 bay power supply.

/edit: Doh! Beat me by a minute.

Ah. Gotcha. I misunderstood the thread. :p

I'm amazed they still make mATX PSU's to be honest.

8600GTS typically has a 300/350W requirement so you should be fine with that. Note I said 8600GTS and not 8800GTS. The 8800GTS is a power pig just like big brother GTX.

so the 8600 and all of the 7 series then?

what about ati? x1900xtx or in that line?

thanks

Yeah, pretty much all 7 series and the 8600. Don't know about ATI cards very much, the only one I have in my "collection" is a X1600Pro and I don't recommend that to anyone as it is pretty much past its life cycle IMO.

Back