8800GTX SLI Danger Den Water Block Install - Pics Too!

Very nice, I love those blocks. I do think that your method of applying paste is, in general, quite poor. You are using way too much paste. In this case it might be ok because I know those chips have a hell of a time getting anywhere close to decent contact.

However, too much thermal paste actually acts like an insulator and impedes the flow of heat from the CPU to the heatsink or waterblock. Choose one method or the other, a thin layer or a blob in the middle, not both. The job of thermal paste is only to fill in those microscopic holes in the metal, not to go completely between the two components.

Fear the paint skillz!
paste.PNG

Thats quite the hw configuration listed in your sig, recent inheritance? :eek:

calvin_q said:
Thats quite the hw configuration listed in your sig, recent inheritance? :eek:

Not quite....but let's suffice it to say that my wife finally suggested that I clean up my office at home...so I decided to sell a bunch of the other computer hardware I have accumulated over time...so Ebay was very helpful in generating the $$$$ for purchasing some of the components.... ;)

-M

Do you guys think I could run a single loop system cooling just my CPU, and these DD 8800GTX blocks in SLi? I would go:

pump ---> radiator (triple 120mm) ---> cpu ---> top vid card ---> 2nd vid card ---> resivoir ---> pump---- repeat...

Or do you think that would be too much heat to dissipate? I'm running a conservative overclock on my e6600, it runs pretty darn cool.

AppaYipYip said:
Do you guys think I could run a single loop system cooling just my CPU, and these DD 8800GTX blocks in SLi? I would go:

pump ---> radiator (triple 120mm) ---> cpu ---> top vid card ---> 2nd vid card ---> resivoir ---> pump---- repeat...

Or do you think that would be too much heat to dissipate? I'm running a conservative overclock on my e6600, it runs pretty darn cool.

You should be good to go. A triple 120mm radiator should be able to dissipate somewhere around 350-400W and still maintain good temperatures.

Back