• I had to bump my DDR voltages above it's rating

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • I can't fill all four slots at all on my board

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • I had to do hard code some BIOS timings/settings

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I had to drop my RAM clock down to make it stable

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • I had to try a different brand (compatiblity issue only with all 4 slots)

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters

oldpablo

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm trying to gauge what the success rate is for people trying to hit 8GB of RAM by filling all four RAM slots. I see a lot of people either not able to do it stable, or they can do it but have to drop the speed lower then what the RAM is rated for. Or they have other issues. Please vote not only for your own experience, but also for what you've seen personally or feel is an accurate answer.

I personally could not get it working on my board no matter what I did, but I'd like to try again on my next build. However I want to know if trying 1066 is far more likely to fail and if I should just shoot for 800, or what.

8GB fine at stock ... but I can't OC my cpu with that much ram. 4x2gb. I think it stressed out the motherboard too much.

4x 2Gb of DDR2-FB Dimms in use on this mobo.
I need active cooling on both NB & ram to run it that fast.

Luck ................. :D

8GB of PC8500 here. Worked like a champ from the get go with all 8 gigs without having to change anything. However, by default my motherboard only gives 1.8v to the RAM so I had to up that to my rated 2.1-2.2v in order to manually set my timings to what they should be. So while it worked I still had to make changes to get my advertised potential. ;)

-V

2x 4gb gskill pc8000 on my p35 and x48 mobos no problems.

No problems on amd64 "hardy" Ubuntu 8.04.

Overclocking (not the ram) works to 3.2ghz as well, although I usually run my q6600 at 1.6ghz.

I'll just say it's not a n00b-friendly config to attempt.

If you don't mind spending a lot of time in the bios figuring out what to do to ensure its stable, then it's lots of fun.

But for those who don't have the patience or knowledge, it's not a good situation.

Many of those people who cannot get it stable don't really know what they are doing.

Running lower speed 8 GB isn't too difficult usually.

But 8 GB DDR2-1000+ can get a lot harder to get stable depending on luck, mobo, RAM, knowledge, etc.

Bump for more data and also a question. On a c2d you sometimes give the northbridge a little more voltage to stabilize the four slots, but what do you give voltage to on a phenom? Just the processor itself since the memory controller is built-on?

Will I did not vote because I am only running 6GB (2 x 2GB + 2 x 1GB) of ram. So the poll did not apply to me. But I have had no problems running with all the ram slots populated on my Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3. I suspect that if I updated from 6GB's to 8GB's I would be fine.

8 gigs at 1066 on my Rampage Formula. No issues since day one, had to manually set voltage on the RAM because my board was over-volting. Also manually set speed in the BIOS. No issues at all.

EDIT: By issues I mean no BSODs or other random memory related problems. BIOS not volting correctly imo is not a problem :)

Back