9.1's a myth? :)

I run vista just fine, I dont find particular problem with it beside the Login Screen I like the old style better...

overall, I find it more user friendly than XP beside UAC settings which you have to turn that off by yourself..

The Gaming experience on both OS, I am having the same performance on both platform beside Vista have DX10 that enables in some game to make some Eye Candy

I run vista just fine, I dont find particular problem with it beside the Login Screen I like the old style better...

overall, I find it more user friendly than XP beside UAC settings which you have to turn that off by yourself..

The Gaming experience on both OS, I am having the same performance on both platform beside Vista have DX10 that enables in some game to make some Eye Candy

Yeah Turning UAC off is a must :)

Dx10 not only looks better but in some cases is faster. (with supporting hardware of course)

I don't get what all you TURN OFF UAC FFS!!! whores are on. WTF do you do that requires you to click UAC so many times???? :confused:

I would personally love UAC to be mandatory just to see all the crying on the internet about it, even though every other OS is like that.

I don't get what all you TURN OFF UAC FFS!!! whores are on. WTF do you do that requires you to click UAC so many times???? :confused:

I would personally love UAC to be mandatory just to see all the crying on the internet about it, even though every other OS is like that.

Are you serious? UAC pops up every time I want to click the fucking mouse. I turned that shit off right when I figured out it was a "feature" of Vista.

I don't find the UAC to be bothersome at all. Just did my first Vista install and I'm more annoyed with apps. that need to run with priviledged access than I am for Vista requiring me to okay that they do so.

*shrug* Years of unix has me used to okaying priviledged operations. No biggie.

While I FULLY respect the idea of UAC, and wish it was mandatory for the id10t users, it is VERY annoying and I don't understand how you can even ATTEMPT to make such an arrogant statement.

We don't force you to keep it off do we?

I found that on average I would have to click the UAC window 10-15 times per hour at minimum. That was on a less busy day. Clearly it does not effect you, so leave it on. It does effect us, so we turn it off. Sounds reasonable to me...

I don't find the UAC to be bothersome at all. Just did my first Vista install and I'm more annoyed with apps. that need to run with priviledged access than I am for Vista requiring me to okay that they do so.

*shrug* Years of unix has me used to okaying priviledged operations. No biggie.

You do bring up a very good point there. Linux/Unix requires much more interaction that even UAC comes close to :).

However, does that really make it any less annoying? Not to me.

I will say this, if there wasn't a way to turn it off, I'd still be using Vista just fine :).

You do bring up a very good point there. Linux/Unix requires much more interaction that even UAC comes close to :).

No it doesn't, not even close. Linux/Unix has had this system for years, so apps are used to it and don't do stupid crap like store information in their install directory. On a daily basis I have to agree to about a half dozen UAC prompts or so in Windows 7 (which has far fewer than Vista), whereas I have to agree to ZERO Linux prompts (be it sudo, gksudo, etc...), with the occasional one ever week or so for installing updates. Usage on both is very similar (programming, debugging, testing server crap, surfing web, etc...) UAC is annoying for 2 reasons:

1) It is incredibly dumb. There is no need for a UAC prompt when I click "Device Manager" - that should be implied by the whole "I CLICKED IT" thing. Thank god MS fixed this in Win 7.

2) Windows apps suck and do tons of things that they aren't supposed to, like store configuration settings in their install directory instead of the user's home directory (which is where MS said to start storing settings like 10 years ago)

They are just a bunch of idiots who think they need to be admin and have full rights all the time. You guys need to get acquainted with unix, seriously. Hell I think you should be forced to have to open a terminal and run your "admin" programs. Maybe then more apps would be codded correctly.

Sorry for the thread hijack

Here I will add something at the end.
ATI will release the drivers tomorrow, at least its my guess. It just goes in line with there usual release in the middle of the week.

So where are those 9.1 drivers eh? Ever since that leaked information I've been chomping at the bit. I got 2x HD 4850's right out of the gate.

While I FULLY respect the idea of UAC, and wish it was mandatory for the id10t users, it is VERY annoying and I don't understand how you can even ATTEMPT to make such an arrogant statement.

We don't force you to keep it off do we?

I found that on average I would have to click the UAC window 10-15 times per hour at minimum. That was on a less busy day. Clearly it does not effect you, so leave it on. It does effect us, so we turn it off. Sounds reasonable to me...

I call BS on this. Sorry to hijack the thread but if you're using something that requires you to click UAC that many times then you need to find better software. What in the world were you using? Would love to know so that I can make sure never to use it.

I don't see UAC at all (and my PC is always doing something) unless I want to open services or msconfig or make some other system level change. In which case it's no different then sudo or root access in *ux.

Back on topic now...I expect 9.1 to be released today. ;)

I call BS on this. Sorry to hijack the thread but if you're using something that requires you to click UAC that many times then you need to find better software. What in the world were you using? Would love to know so that I can make sure never to use it.

I don't see UAC at all (and my PC is always doing something) unless I want to open services or msconfig or make some other system level change. In which case it's no different then sudo or root access in *ux.

Visual Studio 2005 (and I think 2008 - not sure) wants admin rights for crying out loud. So you either have to deal with it complaining that it isn't running as admin, or you have to put up with UAC prompts. Just because you don't have a problem with it doesn't mean that others don't :rolleyes:

There are tons of pieces of software, not to mention every time I remove a program/install a program, try to make chances to windows. It happens quite frequently.

I will check AMD's website 900 times today for 9.1's and I am sure they will never appear :).

Wow this thread has derailed to the max. First there was a whole page about underclocking 4870x2s and now about Vista's UAC..

Man these 9.1s better come soon. I've been waiting to install vista 64bit along with them.

Visual Studio 2005 (and I think 2008 - not sure) wants admin rights for crying out loud. So you either have to deal with it complaining that it isn't running as admin, or you have to put up with UAC prompts. Just because you don't have a problem with it doesn't mean that others don't :rolleyes:

I never said there wasn't a problem. I simply stated that 10-15 prompts in an hour is more or less very hard to believe as myself and many others never see that type of UAC firing.

You could always run VS 2005 as Admin when you launch it. ;) That ends the UAC prompts to begin with. And a lot of older software is "broken" which is why UAC fires. The software shouldn't be doing what it's doing in the first place even if it works. Thus why new versions of certain software don't require UAC anymore because the code has been "fixed" due to following good practices. That's one reason why the driver model in Vista changed. :) Remove the kernel code! Stop the BSOD! :p

There are tons of pieces of software, not to mention every time I remove a program/install a program, try to make chances to windows. It happens quite frequently.

I will check AMD's website 900 times today for 9.1's and I am sure they will never appear :).

Well installing/removing is a system level change. Thus why you get prompted. Sounds a lot like sudo/root to me. ;)

And I'm not trying to be difficult or hijack the thread. I'm also not trying to play pro-UAC or anything because to each his own. If you don't like it fine. I'd rather people just up and say "it bothers me so I turn it off" then try to justify their decision.

There plenty of people making claims that this program or that program causes 10-15 UAC prompts but nobody ever gives up a software name. Just once I'd like the name to a piece of software that does this so I could see it for myself. :)

But that's the last I'll say on it as there are plenty of other UAC threads out there talking about this same thing. :)

As for 9.1. I know that a majority of the last releases were all released on a Wednesday. Anybody have a time frame for the previous releases? I seem to recall seeing them appear roughly before I head home from work at 3pm EST meaning maybe 12PM PST was the norm? Or was the timing just random

9.1s need to come out badly. I have a Crossfire system with two 4870s, and the 8.12s hosed my system. Upon reboot, if I enable Crossfire, I get a sweet message telling me the system has disabled one of my video cards due to an incompatible driver! Ha! I've read this is a common problem and it needs to be FIXED STAT. This is of course after fully uninstalling my drivers and using Driver Sweeper in safe mode, on Vista x64. I've got no clue what is going on and generally I've been happy with ATI drivers since they have gotten a lot better, but this is an issue that never should have made it past testing/QC.

In regards to UAC....for me, it's off, because I know how to not destroy my computer by using software or going to sites that will pwn it. It's a great idea, but it needs a lot of tweaking before it's as smooth as it should be. And yes, people need to learn to write software better as well. MS doesn't want people to have software do certain things and when it's written properly you won't get 85 million UAC prompts when using/installing programs.

Does this thread still talks about 9.1 driver??

What's this 9.1 you talk about? Is it the new UAC? lol

I think some of us gave up on 9.1 a long time ago. Now we have moved on to the problems of UAC and how much they suck. 9.1 is so yesterday. lol

If the extra time taken means a better driver than I'm all for it, but hurry up and put out the damn thing :)

If the extra time taken means a better driver than I'm all for it, but hurry up and put out the damn thing :)

I bet the "extra time" will not mean any better of a driver as if they release it the first week of January, but hey that is just me :).

I bet the "extra time" will not mean any better of a driver as if they release it the first week of January, but hey that is just me :).

Yeah it's funny how naive people are. Pretty cute thinking if a company takes a couple weeks longer to produce drivers it must mean they're using those 2 weeks to boost driver performance by 500 percent.

A couple of days after 9.1 will release someone will start a thread asking when will 9.2 be released and saying his 4870x2 is having micro stuttering... all over again. The same cycle happens with every single release.

The reason why 9.1 is not out yet is because the person responsible for uploading the driver was included in the layoff plan. :p

Yeah it's funny how naive people are. Pretty cute thinking if a company takes a couple weeks longer to produce drivers it must mean they're using those 2 weeks to boost driver performance by 500 percent.

A couple of days after 9.1 will release someone will start a thread asking when will 9.2 be released and saying his 4870x2 is having micro stuttering... all over again. The same cycle happens with every single release.

Yea, I think i'm going to get a 500% peformance increase, please :rolleyes: How about not having bsod's on install or having to release a hotfix. Just a user friendly stable driver is all

9.1 is out. I installed it already. Getting about a 10 fps improvement in race driver grid, cod5, and fallout 3 thus far.

9.1 is out. I installed it already. Getting about a 10 fps improvement in race driver grid, cod5, and fallout 3 thus far.

Yeah we know you moron, stop going around making a gazzillion stupid threads on anti-nvidia and HeyIamsuckingonATi's Nutsack threads Mr. join here 20 days ago spamming shit all over the place :D

Thanks

I'm interested in where you got 9.1...seeing as the website links to 8.12.

I'm interested in where you got 9.1...seeing as the website links to 8.12.

The 9.1s are on a bunch of mirror sites, apparently. Sapphire's site also has the 9.1s.

My guess is the 9.1s were distributed to mirrors last night, but ATi hasn't updated their site yet.

I wouldnt install any of these drivers until the link is up at ati. Early reviews with these linked drivers do NOT show the multi core gains from the 8.12 hotfix drivers. It would be beyond absurd if ati released 9.1 with no multicore gains and it still took them 3 extra weeks to do that. I have faith that they wouldnt be that stupid. I am not installing anything until the final link is at ati.

Yeah, I'm holding off for the official link on ATi's site... primarily because I can't get the leaked 9.1s or the hotfix 8.12s on Sapphire's site to install.

Back