910gml vid card upgradability...?

Tordek

[H]ard|Gawd
My new laptop (toshiba) has the following chipset

Mobile Intel(R) 82915GM/GMS/910GML Express Chipset family

How do i know the best graphic card i could get to update the graphics on it?

I current have the typical intel graphics accelerator...

How do i know the best graphic card i could get to update the graphics on it?

You dont, graphic cards cannot be upgraded, or added to a laptop like u could on a desktop.

There are a few instances like some dells and sagers that u can do this on, but thats replacing a card with a better one, not adding a card in a laptop that doesnt have one to begin with. You laptop is not one of those, so ur stuck with what u have.

hennessy1 said:
There are a few instances like some dells and sagers that u can do this on, but thats replacing a card with a better one, not adding a card in a laptop that doesnt have one to begin with.
Actually an Inspiron 6000 (GMA900 graphics) can be upgraded with a x300 module, effectively making it a 6000D.

You're generally correct though. I'm just being difficult. :p

pxc said:
Actually an Inspiron 6000 (GMA900 graphics) can be upgraded with a x300 module, effectively making it a 6000D.

You're generally correct though. I'm just being difficult. :p
which is why i asked?

Can i put an x300 or something in its place....?

Ive already been inside the laptop but i really dont know what type of socket the card should have in order for an upgrade....

hennessy1 said:
You dont, graphic cards cannot be upgraded, or added to a laptop like u could on a desktop.

There are a few instances like some dells and sagers that u can do this on, but thats replacing a card with a better one, not adding a card in a laptop that doesnt have one to begin with. You laptop is not one of those, so ur stuck with what u have.
intel extreme graphis accelerator 900 is a separate vid card. Not integrated... the memory is shared though.

And since when building the laptop i had the choice of putting in an x300, i thought that maybe there should be a way of doing it now...

chinoquezada said:
intel extreme graphis accelerator 900 is a separate vid card. Not integrated... the memory is shared though.
GMA 900 is built into the 91x northbridge. It's not a separate chip. http://www.intel.com/products/i/chipsets/910gml/910gml_diagram_760.gif

You will almost certainly not be able to upgrade your 910GML to anything else. I posted a rare exception as an example. If you want a definitive answer, post the manufacturer and model of your laptop.

The general rule is: does the manufacturer make the same model available with upgraded video *using the same laptop motherboard*? If yes, then it's technically possible to upgrade depending on parts availability. Otherwise you're out of luck short of buying an expensive replacement motherboard.

edit: notice in the link above that the 910GML does not have an external PCI-E x16 interface. Then compare it to this diagram for the full 915 chipset: http://www.intel.com/products/i/chipsets/mobile/915gm_diagram_760.gif . You have no video upgrade options at all with the 910GML chipset. I suspected that from the beginning, but didn't bother to look up the chipset.

Back