92mm Fan: Vantec or Delta?

yogiB

Limp Gawd
I need a good, powerful 92mm fan for the Thermalright XP-90.

The level of sound won't be an issue for the most part. Therefore, I've been looking at:

1) Vantec Tornado 92mm

2) Delta 92mm Extreme High Speed

The Delta has an airflow of 126.5 CFM as opposed to 119 CFM in the Tornado (a 7.5 CFM increment). But this increment comes with a 3dB increase in sound.

I'd like to know the following:

a) Does the Delta have a high pitched "whine" sound that people have described the Tornado as having? I don't mind high noise levels, but a low pitched noise is more desirable than a high pitched one.

b) In terms of reliability and life-span which is better?

Thank you.

I've been running the Tornado for a little over a year without any problems other than minor hearing loss :p

Haven't run the Delta your talking about so can't comment on that.

I used to say I didn't mind how loud my fans were but when you have to turn the TV up 3+ volume levels everytime the computer is on, 5+ with the case side open, and can't sleep with the computer on in a different room which is down a hallway behind a closed door because of the noise, it gets irritating. Which is why I'm switching to water cooling. If I only had some more free time to hook up all my stuff.

lol delta.. and i very much doubt u need that much.. I got a silent 40cfm fan and its idling around 34C..

check the specs below.

i have 5 intakes, back, front, side.. and one 92mm exhaust above.. i think thats why its been so cool lately..

A Panaflo Ultra High Speed levels with the Tornado even at 68 CFM, if you get a Delta it would be better though.

yogiB said:
I need a good, powerful 92mm fan for the Thermalright XP-90.

The level of sound won't be an issue for the most part. Therefore, I've been looking at:

1) Vantec Tornado 92mm

2) Delta 92mm Extreme High Speed

The Delta has an airflow of 126.5 CFM as opposed to 119 CFM in the Tornado (a 7.5 CFM increment). But this increment comes with a 3dB increase in sound.

I'd like to know the following:

a) Does the Delta have a high pitched "whine" sound that people have described the Tornado as having? I don't mind high noise levels, but a low pitched noise is more desirable than a high pitched one.

b) In terms of reliability and life-span which is better?

Thank you.

man, let me tell you, unless you got hearing problems, YOU WILL get just a slight tad annoyed at any tornado/delta after awhile, no matter how well you think you can handle it.

it doesnt have to run full speed all the time......

i have mine on a fan controller and it doesnt bother me at all

both fans are incredibly loud.

if you run your PC "on demand" only, then maybe you can deal with it, but leaving downloads going overnight is really not an option.

i compare the noise level and frequency of both of those fans to that of a vacuum cleaner.

all that being said, i prefer the delta for heatsink applications, because the more powerfull motor means that it deals with the back pressure from the heatsink a bit better, and keeps rurning at it's optimal speed.

the lifespan on both fans is great. i've had one of each for almost two years now, and they still run as well as they ever did.

i'm using the delta fan...

but for your information, it's just 110CFM, not as sidewinder rated

the sound is more like mid pitch... something like leaf blower tone...

Delta for the win, the tornado may have a lot of CFM but the Delta should run roughly forever, even if you use a fanbus with it.

Peace.

Thanks, folks, for all the input. Looks like I'll be going with the Delta.

Like some say, the noise may end up bothering me after all, but I need some serious cooling on my system. I run a P4 3.6GHz Prescott. With the stock HSF I get idle 55C and load 68-70C!! That is HOT!!!

The last thing I need is for the CPU to slow down or burnout due to heat just in the middle of my gaming. Guess I'll have to somehow put up with the noise until such time I get myself in to water cooling...

Thanks again.

BTW, other than SIDEWINDER, are there other places online where I can buy the Delta?

ocphangaz: just FYI, back at you, the FFB0912EHE is the 110 CFM unit. the unit that he is looking at is the TFB0912GHE which IS rated for 126 CFM.

as for alternate stores, the fan that you are looking at is a rare bird at the moment. you would find it much easier to find the FFB elsewhere.

i don't track american online stores, since i live in canada, but wheras i cannot get the TFB fan anywhere that i know of up here, i know of about 5 places that carry the FFB.

DFI Daishi said:
ocphangaz: just FYI, back at you, the FFB0912EHE is the 110 CFM unit. the unit that he is looking at is the TFB0912GHE which IS rated for 126 CFM.

as for alternate stores, the fan that you are looking at is a rare bird at the moment. you would find it much easier to find the FFB elsewhere.

i don't track american online stores, since i live in canada, but wheras i cannot get the TFB fan anywhere that i know of up here, i know of about 5 places that carry the FFB.

oops! my mistake

I installed a 92mm Tornado on my XP-90 and had it hooked up to a Cooler Master Aerogate II and i couldn't take it even with it turned down as far as it would go. The Aerogate is suppost to knock it down to 5V but it would always speed back up a little after i stopped turning the knob down. I'm switching to a 92mm Panaflo or something since Athlon 64's dont really get very hot anyways.

burningrave101 said:
I installed a 92mm Tornado on my XP-90 and had it hooked up to a Cooler Master Aerogate II and i couldn't take it even with it turned down as far as it would go. The Aerogate is suppost to knock it down to 5V but it would always speed back up a little after i stopped turning the knob down. I'm switching to a 92mm Panaflo or something since Athlon 64's dont really get very hot anyways.

How was the performance of the Tornado? Did you see a significant drop in temperatures?

Tornados are quite nice, friend of mine has 4 92mm running, loud but he has a custom made fan controller so they are quiet when needed.

duct a 120 mm U1A or delta into it... problem solved, you get lots of cfm without the rpm

Back