9600XT help

CmaN3

Limp Gawd
Well I just got my 9600XT back from ATI, I had a problem with small blocks in all the windows i opened, and constant crashing. Well they fixed the blocks, but not the crashing. I put it in last night, and it crashed 5 times in 30 minutes. They say on the warranty service that it is not somethign they need to fix...... But i cant find where I can fix it. Somebody please help. Right now I have a 1996 S3Trio/Virge 64 meg card in.. thing doesnt even run opengl :)

Specs:
WinXPhomeSP2
AMD Athlon XP 2800+
ATI Radeon 9600XT
512 megs or Kingston RAM
WD 80 gig hdd.

Please help. Thanks a buntch guys.

Have you got the latest drivers? And the latest DirectX? They can make a serious difference to performance. And are there any cooling issues with the card and computer?

BTW, have you tested the card with another computer? Just to see if it is the card, or something else.

I have tried 5.1 AND the drivers it came with (dunno which ones). I also have directx 9. I am pretty sure it is the card, becuase it is listed as one of the problems, but they say it is something you can fix... I just wish they said HOW. I dont think I can try it anywhere though, because everyone has SUCKY computers, exept mine(which is only decent). I dont even think anyone has a fricken agp slot... my town sucks :( .

Ok guys i was thinking. According to ATI it is most likely my BIOS that is causing the problem. Well here is why i think they are wrong.

I have had 2 different cards in lately. I had the 2 megabyte( :( :( ) pci card from 1996 in, which i plugged my monitor into, and i had my 9600 in the AGP slot. The computer didnt crash once in over a week. When i plug into the 9600 it crashes every 5 minutes. Now since i have left it in, the fan still functions, and my screen res was at 800X600, but i couldnt see the entire screen because the other card was set to 1024X768. So this means that the 9600 WAS doing something.. So I think if it was my BIOS the computer would still crash.... And tonight i tried to switch back to the 9600, and the monitor wouldnt do jack when i started it up. It was still in sleep. The power light was on, but nothing was happening. And it didnt give me the message about no plugs attachted...... So I think maybe could this be my monitor port.... I think that is whats wrong, becuase it was crashing faster and faster, and now nothing Could it be my monitor jack? I dunno.

Thanks again guys.

Back