96kHz in Vista?

After upgrading to Vista and removing my Audigy 2 ZS as the default audio device from the first system in my signature below, I made the FireWire Solo the new default device. Afterwards, I noticed that Pro Tools M-Powered 7.4cs2 would knock the sampling rate down to 44.1kHz, despite me setting it manually to 96kHz in the M-Audio control panel beforehand.

Some research revealed that Windows Vista controls the default audio device's bit rate and sampling rate, with 24/44.1 apparently being the highest supported by the operating system...

Does anyone have any ideas or experience that might help me figure out a workaround, or should I just put in another sound card and make it the default when I'm using Pro Tools?

Thanks!

Check "give applications exclusive control of the device" on the playback-> advanced menu in control panel sound. Whatever the sampling rate is with the current playback program, if you reopen the sound control panel it'll show "available sample rates" as the current playback sample rate.

I verified this with my Chaintech AV-710, when I switch sample modes, 44.1KHz, 48KHz, 96KHz, or 192KHz, that sampling rate is displayed in the control panel.

My receiver also shows "PCM 96 or just PCM" when I switch sample modes so I know (well, roughly) that I am getting the correct rate.

Make the firewire solo the default, if that what your using to do what you trying to do. Because without the moded drivers. the A2zs will not go up to 96khz. Then because of that. That will knock it down with the a2zs being the default because the normal Vista drivers doesnt support 96khz.

astrallite: Thanks for the tip! I was a bit hasty in my initial assessment of the situation, and I am able to get Vista to report sampling rates higher than 44.1kHz. Unfortunately, your suggestion does not solve my Pro Tools issue.

AdmiralFlameberg: I think you might want to re-read my post... ;)

Let me see if I understand this. Your issue is that Pro Tools knocks your driver sampling rate to 44.1kHz?

This should be normal behavior if you're working in a 44.1kHz session. The final output of the master buss will always be 44.1kHz if your session is also 44.1kHz. If you load a 96kHz session, your final output is 96kHz. The mixer will work at 48 bits and downsample to your session's bit depth to whatever you've chosen during monitoring, and unless I miss my guess, Pro Tools is given exclusive access to the Solo while it's running in Vista.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding this, but it doesn't seem that you have an issue here.

Sorry, allow me to elaborate... I load Pro Tools, the FireWire Solo's sampling rate is automatically knocked down to and locked at 44.1kHz, I start a new "session" in Pro Tools. from here, I can choose the sample rate of the session. The problem arises when I try to choose any rate above 44.1kHz; I am presented with an error message stating that the current playback engine does not support a sample rate of 96 kHz. This is a documented issue with M-Audio devices and Pro Tools. The only advice offered by Digidesign is to make the FireWire Solo a non-default device in Windows.

I was able to workaround the issue by enabling the motherboard's integrated C-Media CMI9739 sound unit (which is not fully supported by Vista) and making that the default audio device when working with Pro Tools, but I was hoping someone here might have an idea that doesn't involve installing new hardware and fiddling with Windows settings every time I want to use Pro Tools :)

Ahh...I see. Well, I think Digi's solution is likely the easiest one, but I'm not a Vista man myself. There may well be an easier way.

If fiddling with a couple Windows settings is all you have to do to make Pro Tools happy though, consider yourself quite lucky. I have to reboot into a secondary, severely-trimmed Windows install when I want to do a little Pro Tools work. There's some combination background apps/hardware of mine that makes it go absolutely bugshit on my day-to-day XP setup.

Frustrations with Pro Tools in Windows are quite common ;)

Back