9700 pro WON'T run COD4 at all?

KingPariah777

[H]ard|Gawd
I know it doesn't meet the required minimum specs (9800pro), but come on!

The game won't even TRY to run. It creates a cryptic error message and then drops me back to the desktop!

Does anyone know of a bios hack or overclocking method or SOMETHING that will make this game run on this card?

Some dude an hour north of me is selling a 9800pro for 30 bucks on craigslist, but I would rather work with what I have if possible...

Any thoughts?

9800PRO should have zero features that as 9700PRO doesn't.

IIRC it was just an updated version of the same core, some bug fixes maybe, speed improvements, higher clocks. Should be no new API calls that it supports that the 9700PRO doesn't.

Well, it does have different hardware features as described in the link above. :p
----

I've seen others describe the problem with a Create2DTexture error, which could be a newer compressed texture format that the 9700 doesn't support.

I think it's time to upgrade there, buddy...

About the only thing that I can think of is that the 9800 supports SM2.0b whereas the 9700 only supports vanilla SM2.0. I think that is your problem.

A guy I play with is running it on a 9600,,,,,I cant imagine it looks very good, but it plays and he kills me just fine..:)

My thoughts are you need a new Video Card. When did the 9700Pro come out even? 2003?

Edit: 2002

You totally need a new computer much less card. These new computers from 2007 can run gigaplexing interstellar occular binary trapizoids at a gillion frames per second.

My thoughts are you need a new Video Card. When did the 9700Pro come out even? 2003?

Edit: 2002

You totally need a new computer much less card. These new computers from 2007 can run gigaplexing interstellar occular binary trapizoids at a gillion frames per second.

I have an Asus G1S laptop with an 8600mGT, Core2Duo and 2g ram...

I bought COD4 for my brother! I knew it wouldn't run with great settings, but I never imagined it wouldn't run at all, especially with a directX 9 video card...

I found an article on Softmodding the 9700pro into a 9800pro (basically making the system think it is a 9800pro...doesn't actually appear to result in a performance increase)

Otherwise I might just buy a 9800 pro for my brother off of craigslist just so he can play the thing!

Bah...

A better bet would be to find an old 6600/6800GT. Shouldn't cost hardly any more and the 6800GT is roughly twice as fast as a 9800XT.

I had to purchase a 6600gt to use for my dedicated server box. Costed 30 bux

Yeah it's time for an upgrade I think. I bought the 9800 Pro when it was the fastest thing around and kept it for about 3 years. I loved that card but eventually I had to let it go. I got a 6800GT OC for free and that took UT2004 Onslaugh framerates from barely playable to around constant 60. And now I went from that card to the 8800GT and I'm getting TEN TIMES the fps in a lot of situations...with a faster CPU and RAM too of course.

Long story short, the 9700/9800 is just really old and super slow even compared to today's 200 dollar cards. Get like a 3750 if you don't feel like spending a lot and you'll run all games (except for Crysis) just fine.

I run COD4 on my 9700pro just fine.

It actually runs suprisingly well at 1024 x 768.

Well clearly you're not addressing the root issue guys, it's known that people CAN run it on this card and for some reason he can't.

Why he didn't post the error message.... I'll never know.

Whoa it's been a good minute since I've posted anything (see minute: slang for a long ass time). Man just get a modern GPU. Whatever you paid for the 9800, you could've got something leaps better for the same price if you shop around. I just hope that the rest of the PC isn't as old... :eek:

Well clearly you're not addressing the root issue guys, it's known that people CAN run it on this card and for some reason he can't.

Exactly.

First thing I would ask is what version of drivers is he running. If I recall, the PC I am running COD4 on with the 9700 has drivers from June of this year on it. (Can't check at the moment, the kid is tearing it up on some MP COD4 at the moment)

Second thing is, is it the video card or driver causing the problem to begin with? COD4's punkbuster had some issues earlier with overlays and stuff, especially the Steam version. We really need to see that message.

A 6800GT is often cheap on ebay. I picked one up for $60 shipped with an AC Silencer installed.

I ran into this same problem when I tried CO4 on my PC. I have a 6800Ultra. Whenever I would run it it would boot me back to the desktop. I know a lot of people had that problem. I think it is a bug or something in their software.

I called Tech support and they just slapped me in the face and refused to provide support because I have a AMD3200+ which doesn't meet the min spec(according to them).

Anyway I actually had 2 problems one was that issue and the second was the please insert the DVD in the rom when the DVD was already in there(I was using real copy not D/Led).

Changing the mssmp3 from asi to bak corrected the first crash to desktop problem for me.
I don't know if you have the same CD ROM issue as me, but that was corrected by downloading a no cd crack.

Good luck

Edit: Found this thread on gamespot. Maybe it will help more
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/c...s.php?topic_id=m-1-39366981&pid=939217&page=0

Funny this thread came up because I got COD4 for a Christmas gift and went through a lot of ass pain to get it to work on my desktop, which is not exactly up to today's standards. Suprisingly, I did get it to work with my laptop with no problems and it's old too. My lappy is a 3 year old Dell Inspiron 8600 with a Pentium M 1.8, 512mb RAM and a Radeon 9600 Pro Turbo and my home built desktop has an overclocked AMD Athlon XP 2000 on an Abit KR7-Raid MB, 1 gig RAM and a BFG 6800GS OC (yes, I know, I need a rebuilt - coming soon). I figured my laptop was going to puke bigtime when I tried to run it, but it actually ran it well enough to successfully beat the game (running 800x600 res with all the goodies turned down). This game is so friggen awesome, that it really doesn't look bad with the effects turned down/off IMO. It's no 1920x1200, but it's not bad.

As for my desktop, well that was another story. COD4 is a real bitch of a game to get working. It doesn't like switching resolutions when launching, which is why Activision recommends you set your desktop to 800x600 before you run the game. It doesn't like audio hardware acceleration, which is why Activision recommends turning it down in the control panel. You need DX9.0c, so if you've got DX10 installed, it won't work. If you're running Vista, there's a hotfix you'll need (do a google search on COD4 Vista crashing). Make sure all your drivers are the newest possible (mainly audio and video). What finally worked for me was what ApaThy_Next2 recommended above. Go into the Call of Duty "Miles" folder and change the mssmp3.asi to mssmp3.bak.

The point is, the crashing to the desktop is most likely NOT because of your video card because I think a 9800 will run it fine (at low res and effects turned down/off). I'm running 1024x768 res with 2x AF on a 24" Samsung 245BW with a few of the effects turned on (don't remember which ones off the top of my head) and the game looks great. Can't wait to rebuild to a quad core with an 8800 GT and pay at 1920x1200. I tried playing at 1920x1200, but it is quite choppy (looks amazing though). Make sure you download the new v1.4 patch!

Exactly.

First thing I would ask is what version of drivers is he running. If I recall, the PC I am running COD4 on with the 9700 has drivers from June of this year on it. (Can't check at the moment, the kid is tearing it up on some MP COD4 at the moment)

Second thing is, is it the video card or driver causing the problem to begin with? COD4's punkbuster had some issues earlier with overlays and stuff, especially the Steam version. We really need to see that message.

I ran into this same problem when I tried CO4 on my PC. I have a 6800Ultra. Whenever I would run it it would boot me back to the desktop. I know a lot of people had that problem. I think it is a bug or something in their software.

I called Tech support and they just slapped me in the face and refused to provide support because I have a AMD3200+ which doesn't meet the min spec(according to them).

Anyway I actually had 2 problems one was that issue and the second was the please insert the DVD in the rom when the DVD was already in there(I was using real copy not D/Led).

Changing the mssmp3 from asi to bak corrected the first crash to desktop problem for me.
I don't know if you have the same CD ROM issue as me, but that was corrected by downloading a no cd crack.

Good luck

Edit: Found this thread on gamespot. Maybe it will help more
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/c...s.php?topic_id=m-1-39366981&pid=939217&page=0

Funny this thread came up because I got COD4 for a Christmas gift and went through a lot of ass pain to get it to work on my desktop, which is not exactly up to today's standards. Suprisingly, I did get it to work with my laptop with no problems and it's old too. My lappy is a 3 year old Dell Inspiron 8600 with a Pentium M 1.8, 512mb RAM and a Radeon 9600 Pro Turbo and my home built desktop has an overclocked AMD Athlon XP 2000 on an Abit KR7-Raid MB, 1 gig RAM and a BFG 6800GS OC (yes, I know, I need a rebuilt - coming soon). I figured my laptop was going to puke bigtime when I tried to run it, but it actually ran it well enough to successfully beat the game (running 800x600 res with all the goodies turned down). This game is so friggen awesome, that it really doesn't look bad with the effects turned down/off IMO. It's no 1920x1200, but it's not bad.

As for my desktop, well that was another story. COD4 is a real bitch of a game to get working. It doesn't like switching resolutions when launching, which is why Activision recommends you set your desktop to 800x600 before you run the game. It doesn't like audio hardware acceleration, which is why Activision recommends turning it down in the control panel. You need DX9.0c, so if you've got DX10 installed, it won't work. If you're running Vista, there's a hotfix you'll need (do a google search on COD4 Vista crashing). Make sure all your drivers are the newest possible (mainly audio and video). What finally worked for me was what ApaThy_Next2 recommended above. Go into the Call of Duty "Miles" folder and change the mssmp3.asi to mssmp3.bak.

The point is, the crashing to the desktop is most likely NOT because of your video card because I think a 9800 will run it fine (at low res and effects turned down/off). I'm running 1024x768 res with 2x AF on a 24" Samsung 245BW with a few of the effects turned on (don't remember which ones off the top of my head) and the game looks great. Can't wait to rebuild to a quad core with an 8800 GT and pay at 1920x1200. I tried playing at 1920x1200, but it is quite choppy (looks amazing though). Make sure you download the new v1.4 patch!

You guys are awesome...I'm going to try these suggestions soon as I get a chance (I don't live with my brother, so I have to head over to his place at some point to give this a shot...)

He DOES have a 3200+...perhaps messing around with the settings should enable it to run...

COD4 does look awesome, but it would never strike me as something would be impossible to play...its a 9700 pro, not a TNT2 or something...

If stuck on AGP, get a ag version of the X1950pro.... prolly the best performance he will be able to find in an agp card.

Dunno... America's Army works fine on the old 9800pro :eek::p:D

Back