975x, 965, 680i...ugh! I could use some advice

MrDisco said:
What exactly is the optional discrete controller :confused: Is that on the board or something extra I have to buy?
I certainly understand the confusion. I'm by no means an expert (yet - I have a BA2 on order), but there is a variant that does, indeed, only have 4 SATA ports. Look here:

http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/bx2/bx2_available.htm

The model on the right column looks like a slightly dumbed-down version, but it also falls within the BA2 family.

All the sites I've looked at only sell the full-featured version, like Newegg and ZZF. Just make sure you stay away from any model that has "LA" in front of its model number. Also, be aware that the BOX version comes with what looks like a 2-port USB bracket whereas the BLK variant does not.

Here's some more head-scratching. The initial reviews I read stated that the BA2 came with eSATA support, indicated by a red SATA connector amongst the cluster of blue. However, that appears now not to be the case, as the latest pics and reviews I've seen do not show a board with a red connector, just four blue ones. This is disappointing, but not a deal breaker for me. It might for you, though. Just thought I'd mention it.

Pretty sure the other model listed is a bulk OEM only model - but quite right, stay away from the "LA" edition :)

ohlmsjm said:
I really want a board that is ROCK SOLID stable that performs well and I'm really not all that interested in overclocking to be honest.

I go with trusted names like "Asus", "Gigabyte", and "Intel"..as I've had good luck in the past with them. Therein lies the crux of my situation:

Asus Striker Extreme vs P5N32-E SLI vs Gigabyte DQ6/DS3 vs Bad Axe 2.

This is utimately the decision that I have been faced with and I know that from a technological limitation, only 2 of those boards will give me SLI for the future. I keep asking myself if I will even ever USE SLI or will it just be a waste of money for the board??

If I use SLI, go Extreme or P5N32-E
If I don't use SLI go Bad Axe or Gigabyte...

Is that how I should be approaching this??

"No overclocking" "rock solid stable"
Go Intel man. Get the badaxe 2
ribs

ribs1 said:
"No overclocking" "rock solid stable"
Go Intel man. Get the badaxe 2
ribs

umm... The BadAxe boards are actually nice overclockers. Intel finally realized they were missing out on a good market and added nice overclocking features.

Look at the overclocking database (gotta find it), but many of the e6600, 6700 top results were with BadAxes!

fleggett said:
I certainly understand the confusion. I'm by no means an expert (yet - I have a BA2 on order), but there is a variant that does, indeed, only have 4 SATA ports. Look here:

http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/bx2/bx2_available.htm

The model on the right column looks like a slightly dumbed-down version, but it also falls within the BA2 family.

All the sites I've looked at only sell the full-featured version, like Newegg and ZZF. Just make sure you stay away from any model that has "LA" in front of its model number. Also, be aware that the BOX version comes with what looks like a 2-port USB bracket whereas the BLK variant does not.

Here's some more head-scratching. The initial reviews I read stated that the BA2 came with eSATA support, indicated by a red SATA connector amongst the cluster of blue. However, that appears now not to be the case, as the latest pics and reviews I've seen do not show a board with a red connector, just four blue ones. This is disappointing, but not a deal breaker for me. It might for you, though. Just thought I'd mention it.

Intel used to only make a few motherboards, usually one or two based on a given chipset, now they have 4 or 5 versions of the same board in some instances.

Dudeyourlame said:
Can someone link me this "bad axe" motherboard?

The Intel "Bad Axe" motherboards, are the highest end Intel branded motherboards using the i975x chipset. They can be found by following the link below: Bad Axe is a code name, and Intel has never actually referred to the motherboards by that name. Sites like Anandtech and various forums refer to it by that name alone.

Bad Axe

http://www.intel.com/products/motherboard/d975xbx/index.htm

Bad Axe 2

http://www.intel.com/products/motherboard/D975XBX2/index.htm

Despite Intel's stance on overclocking, the two boards in question are awesome overclockers by all accounts. The thing I hated about the first board though is the pathetic secondary SATA controller. It's only SATA 150 capable because it's using an older Silicon Image controller chip. The new board doesn't have this limitation.

Here is Intel's full comparison of the two boards.

http://indigo.intel.com/compare_cpu/showchart.aspx?mmID=24744,22631&familyID=12&culture=en-US

Just curious...why did you guys pick the Zalman's over the Tuniq?

Jodiuh said:

Availability :confused: . The Tuniq was sold out for the longest time everywhere.

Dan_D said:
The thing I hated about the first board though is the pathetic secondary SATA controller. It's only SATA 150 capable because it's using an older Silicon Image controller chip. The new board doesn't have this limitation.
Just curious, have you noticed a difference during real world testing between SATA 150 and SATA 300 controllers? Or is it like during RAID that the extra headroom comes into play?

I don't do RAID so I've never even looked into it, but I just might since I'm going with a new build and HDD"s are so cheap, I might stripe some drives since my files will be on a file server.

Jodiuh said:

I've not done much research on the Tuniq, is it substantially better than the Zalman 9500?

Is it compatible with my setup listed on the previous page?

Dan_D said:
Intel used to only make a few motherboards, usually one or two based on a given chipset, now they have 4 or 5 versions of the same board in some instances.
This leaves me to wonder if there's a BA2 "out there" that no one has seen yet. I say this because, on Intel's download page for the BA2 manual, it clearly documents a red SATA connector that can be used with an eSATA bracket. Even the picture on Intel's webpage shows a board with the red port. However, all of the reviews and associated pics I've perused only show four blue connectors.

The plot further thickens with Newegg, as their pics also show the red port. ZZF's pics, though, show four blue ones.

Did Newegg and ZZF receive different motherboards (despite having the same model number), or is somebody's pics wrong? I'll be a little PO'd if ZZF got dumbed-down versions, as they're the ones who I ordered mine from. I should call to find out....

deeznuts said:
Just curious, have you noticed a difference during real world testing between SATA 150 and SATA 300 controllers? Or is it like during RAID that the extra headroom comes into play?

I don't do RAID so I've never even looked into it, but I just might since I'm going with a new build and HDD"s are so cheap, I might stripe some drives since my files will be on a file server.

Actually, aside from benchmark testing, the answer is no. Notice the Raptor X is still SATA 150? It does support NCQ and TCQ, but not SATA 300 speeds. The extra headroom as you put it makes for higher burst speeds, but sustained data transfers or read and write speeds don't gain much at all.

I point out my dislike for the D975XBX's use of the Silicon Image 3114 instead of the newer 3124 chip because I think that a high end board such as that shouldn't skimp on features. The 3114 is a PCI solution (not PCIe) and doesn't support SATA II/300/3G or whatever you want to call it. To me, this is inexcusable from a design perspective. That doesn't make the board bad though. Every report says otherwise.

I am just glad the D975XBX2 has corrected this design oversight.

chrisf6969 said:
umm... The BadAxe boards are actually nice overclockers. Intel finally realized they were missing out on a good market and added nice overclocking features.

Look at the overclocking database (gotta find it), but many of the e6600, 6700 top results were with BadAxes!

I didn't mean to suggest the Badaxe were bad overclockers. I just meant to suggest that if rock solid stability was his number 1 concern, than an Intel board would probably be the best solution. It happens that this particular board seems to be an excellent overclocker in addition to it's rock solid stability
Thanks
Ribs

Someone suggested the Tuniq over the Zalman 9500 but I'm curious if it will fit in the setup that I've got listed on the previous page?

Also, what makes it better than the Zalman, just out of curiosity?

Well, the 9500 has a 92mm fan that takes some work to change out. It's quiet @ 1600RPM, but puts out far less air than your own 120mm (I use an SFLEX @ 1200RPM) would in a Tuniq. The sheer size and number of fins in the Tuniq make it a fantastic cooler. I don't know 4 sure if it will fit, but I'm sure someone here or at XS does.

ohlmsjm said:
Someone suggested the Tuniq over the Zalman 9500 but I'm curious if it will fit in the setup that I've got listed on the previous page?

Also, what makes it better than the Zalman, just out of curiosity?

I haven't had a chance to do further research, but here is just one link:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/tuniq-tower120_8.html

You can read the rest of the article, but the Tuniq is basically one of the best, if not best, cooler out there. There is also the Ultra-120 that is pretty good IMO. I have both, unused lying on my floor lol waiting for a board I want to put my QX6700 in.

To top it all off I go and see the CoolerMaster Fujin and now I want that lol!
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=124969

I did notice you list a Zalman 9500 yesterday but I read that you "already submitted" and I'm not the type to rock the boat once someone orders something, hate to make someone feel buyer's remorse before receiving something. But yeah you can do much better then a Zalman 9500.

As for fitting I believe it should fit, the Tuniq actually sits pretty high. Not sure about fitting in your case though.

I got bought Crucial Ballistix PC6400 DDR2 memory EPP, which means SLI ready memory 2 X 1GB. Do you guys think i will get better performance with 680i Motherboard then 975X.

I have MSI 975X powerup Edition motherboard, and it gives me 7785 bandwidth @ 800mhz and 400fsb. and 7920 @ 430FSB.

What do you guys say should i buy 680i or keep the MSI 975X powerup edition. I want to do upto 500FSB with my E6300.

annaconda said:
I got bought Crucial Ballistix PC6400 DDR2 memory EPP, which means SLI ready memory 2 X 1GB. Do you guys think i will get better performance with 680i Motherboard then 975X.

No.

annaconda said:
I have MSI 975X powerup Edition motherboard, and it gives me 7785 bandwidth @ 800mhz and 400fsb. and 7920 @ 430FSB.

Ok.

annaconda said:
What do you guys say should i buy 680i or keep the MSI 975X powerup edition. I want to do upto 500FSB with my E6300.

I'd keep the i975x unless you need SLI support. You COULD reach 500MHz FSB with an eVGA 680i board, but I don't think that a 680i board is worth the cost to jump from an i975x board. Plus, you might not even be able to reach 500MHz FSB on the 680i either. Some boards don't.

The rest of my equipment has arrived and I shall begin the week long festivities of putting it all together.

I don't suppose anyone has a rather updated list of common diagnostic utilities? (IE: Software that will help me ensure that I have everything setup properly)

Thanks again for all of the advice. You guys have been MUCH more responsive and helpful than other sites.

ohlmsjm said:
The rest of my equipment has arrived and I shall begin the week long festivities of putting it all together.

I don't suppose anyone has a rather updated list of common diagnostic utilities? (IE: Software that will help me ensure that I have everything setup properly)

Thanks again for all of the advice. You guys have been MUCH more responsive and helpful than other sites.
Orthos
Prime 95 Install and run STRESS TEST
IO Meter
Core Temp
CPU-Z
Crystal CPU ID
rthdribl
Cinebecn 9.5

hey guys thanks for clearing up that Sata + Bad Axe 2 confusion for me.

I suppose now i'm down to the P5W, the BX2, and the GA965DQ6. I think I read somewhere that the P5W uses 8 phase power, while the BX2 uses 5. True or not? Does this have any impact on stability? Also is there any advantage with the solid capicitors that Gigabyte touts?

Asus boards have vdrop issues. I would avoid asus

I would get either:

1) evga i680
OR
2) gigabyte ds3 rev 2 or dq6 rev 2

the 975x does not apperal to me. costs almost as much as they i680 and is somewhat dated. The intel badaxe 2 with the pencil mod looks like a good 975x, but again it is not much cheaper than then the evga i680.

messerchmidt said:
Asus boards have vdrop issues. I would avoid asus

I would get either:

1) evga i680
OR
2) gigabyte ds3 rev 2 or dq6 rev 2

the 975x does not apperal to me. costs almost as much as they i680 and is somewhat dated. The intel badaxe 2 with the pencil mod looks like a good 975x, but again it is not much cheaper than then the evga i680.

If you aren't overclocking very much, the voltage droop issues shouldn't be a big deal. ASUS boards I've used have always been rock solid dispite voltage fluctiations. Even if you are doing serious overclocking the ASUS boards can generally do a pretty good job.

Some people don't want to use the eVGA 680i, and even though the i975x is a little dated, it's actually probably the best performing chipset out there for Core 2 Duo. The eVGA 680i and other boards may be cheaper or close in price, but nothing beats out Intel chipset quality and stability. So if you don't need SLI support, then why buy anything else? It's not like the 680i chipset brings any significantly useful features to the table over Intel's chipsets apart from SLI.

There are still problems being reported repeatedly on the 590 SLI and 680i motherboards. Not all of them have a solution at this juncture. Intel seems to be the only company who can release a chipset and have it be stable and rock solid with no serious driver issues right off the bat.

MrDisco said:
hey guys thanks for clearing up that Sata + Bad Axe 2 confusion for me.

I suppose now i'm down to the P5W, the BX2, and the GA965DQ6. I think I read somewhere that the P5W uses 8 phase power, while the BX2 uses 5. True or not? Does this have any impact on stability? Also is there any advantage with the solid capicitors that Gigabyte touts?

The P5W DH is a great board. It has alot of features, and can some times be a pain to get them going. They are stable and you can get Windows installed easily, but I had some initial problems with some of it's many features. Such as the three SATA controllers running in RAID and so on. I am not sure about the power design on the D975XBX2. The solid capacitors do theoretically extend the life span of the board as they should outlast regular capacitors. Therefore they should maintain their stability over a greater period of time. High quality traditional capacitors will last a long time and probably longer than you'll be using the board.

Gigabyte doesn't have the best track record with quality and I've experienced a plethora of issues with older boards. That said, the newer products seem to be great. The [H] has given the last couple of Gigabyte motherboards reviewed high marks in most areas. If it were me, I'd go for the ASUS or the Bad Axe 2. Probably the Bad Axe 2 mainly for the third PCIe x16 slot.

ohlmsjm said:
I really want a board that is ROCK SOLID stable that performs well and I'm really not all that interested in overclocking to be honest.

I go with trusted names like "Asus", "Gigabyte", and "Intel"..as I've had good luck in the past with them. Therein lies the crux of my situation:

Asus Striker Extreme vs P5N32-E SLI vs Gigabyte DQ6/DS3 vs Bad Axe 2.

This is utimately the decision that I have been faced with and I know that from a technological limitation, only 2 of those boards will give me SLI for the future. I keep asking myself if I will even ever USE SLI or will it just be a waste of money for the board??

If I use SLI, go Extreme or P5N32-E
If I don't use SLI go Bad Axe or Gigabyte...

Is that how I should be approaching this??

If you want stability and don't care about SLI the intel Bad Axe is easy to set up and rock stable. You can't go wrong with intel on intel it just works. You'll have less compatibility issues and 3%-5% lower performance in exchange for a plug and play motherboard with almost any component vs. the plug and pray nature of some these boards with various types of ddr2 and sound cards etc.

This thread was very helpful to me when I was trying to decide what mobo to pick. Thank you to everyone who contributed.

I ended up ordering a badaxe2 from tigerdirect!

Well, the assembly is complete and the benchmarking/burn in has begun.

The motherboard was ridiculously easy to install and configure but I do have one suggestion to those that have contributed to this thread:

I purchased the Tuniq 120 tower and even went so far as to install it, but upon further inspection I noticed that it was placing undue stress on the motherboard since the board is mounted vertically. I'd imagine the cooler is fantastic, but it just didn't work for me since I could visually see the motherboard start to bow just from the sheer weight of the cooler.

I've since, replaced it with the original Zalman 9500 that I had ordered.

The Silverstone TJ09 case is remarkable in terms of build quality and boy is it ever spacious! Surprisingly, the system is quiet and appears to be running very cool.

Thanks again for the recommendations.

ohlmsjm said:
...visually see the motherboard start to bow just from the sheer weight of the cooler.
I saw nothing like this, are you sure it's on good? BTW, how many screws did you mount the board w/?

Jodiuh said:
I saw nothing like this, are you sure it's on good? BTW, how many screws did you mount the board w/?

4 spring loaded for the Tuniq and no less than 9 for the motherboard.

Jodiuh said:
I wonder if some boards are stronger than others... :confused:

They should all be the same at this point. There shouldn't be any manufacturing variance in PCB layers, or the strength of the PCB used.

Thank you for the info in this thread. It's been helpful for a newbie like me.

For better or worse I just bought the P5W. It was on sale and came out quite a bit cheaper than the BX2. I'm hoping it will be stable for my non-oc setup.

Can anyone recommend which 2x1GB RAM kit I should get?
Also is there any retailer who is selling the Tuniq Tower? Ncix/Directcanada haven't received any inventory for least 6 months now.

MrDisco said:
Thank you for the info in this thread. It's been helpful for a newbie like me.

For better or worse I just bought the P5W. It was on sale and came out quite a bit cheaper than the BX2. I'm hoping it will be stable for my non-oc setup.

Can anyone recommend which 2x1GB RAM kit I should get?
Also is there any retailer who is selling the Tuniq Tower? Ncix/Directcanada haven't received any inventory for least 6 months now.

The ram in my sig works well, as does the Corsair Dominator PC8888, and the PC9136. Additionally, any major name brand memory should work fine, but as always, your mileage may vary, so some research is no doubt in order. For simplicity sake, I can definitely recommend Corsair memory. Everything but the Valuejunk anyway.

I was thinking of the Corsair TwinX 6400 C4 modules. Will that be good enough? Also will it allow for plug 'n play operation or will i have to tinker with the bios to get it to work?

WOW! This is one great thread! I have been tearing my hair out over motherboard choice for the past few weeks, and was on the verge of going with a 680i, but having read this, I really don't think I will now. SLI was never a consideration for me, so it seems 975X is the way to go.

However, I'm still a bit stuck. Think I've narrowed it down to the Intel BAD AXE 2 vs the Asus P5W64-WS Pro. Which should I go for do you think?

I will be running an E6600, 2GB Teem Xtreem 6400 RAM and a BFG 8800GTX. I plan to overclock, but not to the point of destruction as it's not something I've done before so I will take it easy.

Here in the UK where I live, the Intel is noticeably cheaper than the Asus (£25 less, which is about $50). I don't mind paying the extra if I'll get a better board out of it, but I'm a bit discouraged by some of the issues I've read about with Asus, in particular their customer support. Going Intel on Intel seems more logical to me, but I don't know. The last Asus I had was reliable enough, but that was some years ago now, and I never overclocked or anything.

Any advice much appreciated.

:)

MrDisco said:
I was thinking of the Corsair TwinX 6400 C4 modules. Will that be good enough? Also will it allow for plug 'n play operation or will i have to tinker with the bios to get it to work?
Just a touch over $200 AR on the egg now, right? I've had a set up to 900 w/ little trouble. Considering the next step up's closer to $300...yeah, best deal for RAM today IMO.

Back