975XBX probs...

turtletrax

Limp Gawd
Just put my rig together usung a 975XBX , Intel E6400 , OCZ PC2-8000 2x1G and having a strange problem. I can boot into the recovery mode of the BIOS but as soon as I try to go into the normal mode, my 120MM LED exaust fan just flickers and the machine will not boot.

It will initialize my LCD and then go into the RAID BIOS , then it will go black and hang, and after while if I push any keys on my KB it will beep.

Any ideas?

I was hoping to get away from the never ending RMA cycle that I feel I have been on for the past couple of months by going pure Intel but no luck... :mad:

EDIT: Problems solved.

Looks like it is my LCD not initializing after post. if I reboot the panel after post it is all good.

Look forward to Conroe OC:)

So far I am running 3.07Ghz with the ram running @480Mhz 5-5-5-15. Havent even got into tweaking memory and still using stock Vcore.

Still getting used to the XBX, not sure as I like it. Using Intel Desktop Utilities it says that the CPU is running 83C idle and -40c under load on both cores. Would love to up the Vcore but I am still running on stock cooling. Gonna wait untill I get a Storm Rev.2 untill I hook up the WC. Hoping to get more out of it.

I will sell this CPU when the 6600 becomes more available. Might even wait untill I can get a hella stepping or a proven OC'er.

When I get more time and get it on water I will update again.

EDIT: I forgot to mention I am getting horrible SuperPI times... anybody know what is up with that?

EDIT #2: Figures out what was going on. I got one of the XBX's that really have probs mounting stock cooling. Spent some time making sure I got it on perfect and SuperPI 1M time is 20.54s roughly. Guess it was thermal throttling...

My D975XBX also has a problem with LED fans. I just ended up running them straight from the P/S.

Also, have you run PCMark05? I have a Pentium D950 in the D975XBX with an eVga 7900 GT...but my 2D Transparent Windows score is horrible. The score is perfect when I run the same card in my Opteron 170... If you have PCMark, could you check? If not, that's cool...

:cool:

I have it and I will give it a couple of runs after work tonite. We will see what gives:)

Here is a stability screenie of Orthos overnight on stock cooling and stock Vcore.

Screen01-1.jpg

Picking up a TDX to hold me over till I get my Storm R2 tonite. Interested in seeing how much I can get out of better cooling/voltage.

Local retailer were out of TDX's :( Looks like I have to wait for storm.

Seem to be having some meory stablity issues. HCI Memtest errors out huge in Windows. Running Memtest 1.65 right now and all seems well.

Anyone out there with similar setup and some OCZ D9 care to chime in?

The reason I found out I wasnt stable was running PCMark BlackSunshine. It rebooted on me fairly quickly and showed that the memory was no go. When I get this sorted I will give you my results.

Thanks...I appreciate it. My D975XBX is acting up at the moment...for some reason, the last batch of Windows updates screwed something up. I get a black screen when I reboot... *sigh*

I'm waiting for my E6600, and will probably do a rebuild this weekend. Hopefully this goes better, or I may have to look at a different mobo. I really like the BadAxe, but so far it hasn't instilled a great deal of confidence in me.

Again, I appreciate your checking this out...

Ya, I cant say as if I am happy either. Actually I kinda hate the last two boards I bought. I guess hate is a stong word for the XBX, but love doesnt cover it either. You never know. I might get it all sorted out.

Hope it works out for you too, but I thing I am going RD600. Asynchronous FSB and memory bus OC'ing sounds pretty amazing to me. But I did hate my A8r32-MVP pretty bad...

EDIT:

OK. I know it is hte RAM that is holding me back from a stellar OC on this E6400. I am currently running 3116Mhz with a FSB of 389Mhz and the RAM on the 667 divider so 489Mhz 5-5-5-15.

I can run 1M SuperPI and Orthos is erroring out with a rounding error in Small FTT and HCI memtest is tossing errors everywhere. I am beginning to wonder if I got bad RAM. I think this Allendale is gonna kick some ass under a waterblock.

EDIT#2:

So, I figured since I am having so much probs with my mem I would run a lower divider. I applied the 533 divider on the 1067 strap (400Mhz) and booted into Windows at 3116 Mhz and ram 32M of SuperPI no probs. So I reboot and go into the BIOS and set the 50% OC on the 1067 Strap and it looks stable at stock Vcore.

Am I at the limit of the Mobo with the 50% OC option maxed out? Any help would be appreicated:)

Hey BlackSunshine. Finally got the system stable enough to run PCmark.

Ran PCmark @3.18Ghz 1.3Vcore on the 1066 strap 667divider. That puts the memory @ 397 and the FSB at 1590.

2D Transparent Windows: 1396 windows/s.

Dang it! My transparent windows was ~400. I tried everything to bump it, but no luck. Like I said, I'm going to rebuild when I get my E6600. We'll see what happens then...

Thanks for checking!

did ya determine if the last set of windows update really did mess up you XBX system? I have ordered one of these board but they will not be in stock till next week so if i still have time to swicth to the P5W DH if this thing isnt as stable as i was hoping.

For me system stabiliy > OCing options.

turtletrax said:
Ya, I cant say as if I am happy either. Actually I kinda hate the last two boards I bought. I guess hate is a stong word for the XBX, but love doesnt cover it either. You never know. I might get it all sorted out.

Hope it works out for you too, but I thing I am going RD600. Asynchronous FSB and memory bus OC'ing sounds pretty amazing to me. But I did hate my A8r32-MVP pretty bad...

EDIT:

OK. I know it is hte RAM that is holding me back from a stellar OC on this E6400. I am currently running 3116Mhz with a FSB of 389Mhz and the RAM on the 667 divider so 489Mhz 5-5-5-15.

I can run 1M SuperPI and Orthos is erroring out with a rounding error in Small FTT and HCI memtest is tossing errors everywhere. I am beginning to wonder if I got bad RAM. I think this Allendale is gonna kick some ass under a waterblock.

EDIT#2:

So, I figured since I am having so much probs with my mem I would run a lower divider. I applied the 533 divider on the 1067 strap (400Mhz) and booted into Windows at 3116 Mhz and ram 32M of SuperPI no probs. So I reboot and go into the BIOS and set the 50% OC on the 1067 Strap and it looks stable at stock Vcore.

Am I at the limit of the Mobo with the 50% OC option maxed out? Any help would be appreicated:)

Why were you running the 667 divider? Just curious, since the 533 is 1:1. I see a lot of people running 4:5, does the increased bandwidth actually help the performance of the Conroes? I've been looking for some benchies.

As for the 50% oc, I think you can force it into the 1333 bootstrap, and then still have the 50% oc after that. And have you done the oc debug mod, which will release vcore options? More information here:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=99298

It's a lot to read, but essential for any bad axe users.

Ya, I am working with the 1333 Strap now but having really weird issues applying Vcore options. It takes about 7 to 10 tries for the BIOS to apply the Vcore I set then I get into windows and load Orthos and it fail and voltage is down to 1.15V. I think the board is throttling like EIST is working but I have it disabled.

I am on stock cooling for now untill I get my Strom in the mail, so I might just have to wait and see. I sure hope the 590 chipset gets here soon, or I might just wait for the R600.

As far as the bandwidth, I paid for DDR2-8000 and I would like to use it if possible.

Also I have done the OC debug mod. I actually bought the board off of Supertim0r from XS and he had this board all the way to 450FSB. I think I just have to wait for better cooling.

Flak Pyro said:
did ya determine if the last set of windows update really did mess up you XBX system? I have ordered one of these board but they will not be in stock till next week so if i still have time to swicth to the P5W DH if this thing isnt as stable as i was hoping.

For me system stabiliy > OCing options.

Yeah...I'm 99% sure it did. I have an Acronis backup from before the updates and it runs fine. Then I apply the updates, and I get a black screen. Unfortunately, I'm prepping the board for the Conroe, so it's all in pieces now...

Like I said earlier...I like the board... I just don't love it. Unless it shapes up and flies right, I have a feeling someone else is going to be the proud owner of a Rev. 304 D975XBX soon... ;)

turtletrax said:
Ya, I am working with the 1333 Strap now but having really weird issues applying Vcore options. It takes about 7 to 10 tries for the BIOS to apply the Vcore I set then I get into windows and load Orthos and it fail and voltage is down to 1.15V. I think the board is throttling like EIST is working but I have it disabled.

I am on stock cooling for now untill I get my Strom in the mail, so I might just have to wait and see. I sure hope the 590 chipset gets here soon, or I might just wait for the R600.

As far as the bandwidth, I paid for DDR2-8000 and I would like to use it if possible.

Also I have done the OC debug mod. I actually bought the board off of Supertim0r from XS and he had this board all the way to 450FSB. I think I just have to wait for better cooling.

It's a c1e issue, I think. When you OC, you have to disable the EIST and c1e. The EIST handles the throttling of the clock, while the c1e handles the throttling of the vcore.

deeznuts said:
It's a c1e issue, I think. When you OC, you have to disable the EIST and c1e. The EIST handles the throttling of the clock, while the c1e handles the throttling of the vcore.

I spotted a person on XS XBX thread that had the same problem but no-one chimed in with an answer. I have no option to disable this feature. I do have an option to disable advanced power slope, which I did, but it doesnt do anything.

The XBX doesnt accurately produce temp readouts, so I dont know if it is thermal throttling.

id like to go for this board since i see alot of people having issues with the asus p5w dh but if this board has issues too.... :confused:

Flak Pyro said:
id like to go for this board since i see alot of people having issues with the asus p5w dh but if this board has issues too.... :confused:

It is a pain in the balls to OC I tell ya. You sure can tell this is Intels first OC'ing board. I think I will go for a DFI 590 or R600 and ditch this board. I might go pick up a P5W-DH to tide me over. I know this chip has tons of room left for OC and I am sick ov moving jumpers and booting 5 times to get a setting to stick.

OCing isnt a big deal to me. Im more concerned about system stability. Thats why im interesting in this board, i will most likely run stock for a good while anyways. I know im probably weird but meh.

If stock is your bag this thing is awesome. The only other thing I have problems with is that it deosnt initialize my LCD and I have to turn it off/on. But that could be my LCD, but it was fine with my last system, so who knows....

turtletrax said:
It is a pain in the balls to OC I tell ya. You sure can tell this is Intels first OC'ing board. I think I will go for a DFI 590 or R600 and ditch this board. I might go pick up a P5W-DH to tide me over. I know this chip has tons of room left for OC and I am sick ov moving jumpers and booting 5 times to get a setting to stick.

Too bad it's not their first oc'ing board, They also had a 955X board I think. A lot of people are still happy with their bad axes. I have x6800 coming, so FSB max isn't too concerning for me, and mine's been rock stable so far.

Every board has it's issues. I don't trust the 590 and r600 boards yet, as nvidia has a bad track record for their intel chipsets. We'll have to see results.

deeznuts said:
Too bad it's not their first oc'ing board, They also had a 955X board I think. A lot of people are still happy with their bad axes. I have x6800 coming, so FSB max isn't too concerning for me, and mine's been rock stable so far.

Every board has it's issues. I don't trust the 590 and r600 boards yet, as nvidia has a bad track record for their intel chipsets. We'll have to see results.

FSB is not the problem. My board is good to 450FSB, it is the hard booting and CMOS failures you have to endure. Moving the jumper 100 times to get your OC taped out gets tiring as well... The BIOS is just not set-up for OC'ing that nicely either.

I agree it is a good board, but they are just not pro's at the OC'ing side of things.

turtletrax said:
FSB is not the problem. My board is good to 450FSB, it is the hard booting and CMOS failures you have to endure. Moving the jumper 100 times to get your OC taped out gets tiring as well... The BIOS is just not set-up for OC'ing that nicely either.

I agree it is a good board, but they are just not pro's at the OC'ing side of things.

Yeah, that seems to be the case. I cant for the life of me figure out which board to get though, each freaking board has its own problems right now.

Luckily I do have an xe proc though, so it can't be too hard to up the multi.

deeznuts said:
Yeah, that seems to be the case. I cant for the life of me figure out which board to get though, each freaking board has its own problems right now.
Which is why I haven't gotten Conroe yet. I'm hoping the AW9D-MAX takes care of that though. Abit has always treated me good. :)

Starting to figure this board out. It is by total brute force, but it is starting to bear fruit.

Two secrets I have found are..

#1. C1E can only be disabled in the OS. I use RightMark CPU Clock Utility because it can be set to apply at start-up. Seems to have solved Orthos from failing instantly.

#2. Set all your major adjustments such as strap and Vdimm/Vcore and dividers in recovery mode. After setting it in recovery mode it will ask you to turn power off and rest the jumper to normal setting. After doing that it will reboot itself and correctly apply the setting. Before it was a total crapshoot and sometimes after the next reboot it would reset.

Still waitin' to get my Storm and MCW-30 so not too worried about the clocks I am acheiving on stock cooling.

turtletrax said:
Starting to figure this board out. It is by total brute force, but it is starting to bear fruit.

Two secrets I have found are..

#1. C1E can only be disabled in the OS. I use RightMark CPU Clock Utility because it can be set to apply at start-up. Seems to have solved Orthos from failing instantly.

#2. Set all your major adjustments such as strap and Vdimm/Vcore and dividers in recovery mode. After setting it in recovery mode it will ask you to turn power off and rest the jumper to normal setting. After doing that it will reboot itself and correctly apply the setting. Before it was a total crapshoot and sometimes after the next reboot it would reset.

Still waitin' to get my Storm and MCW-30 so not too worried about the clocks I am acheiving on stock cooling.
Thanks for tip #2. I just read #1 over at XS earlier today.

Last two hurdles...

#1. My IHS was fucked!!!!! Holy shit!! I would have waited to get a camera and show you guys, but it was sooo bad that I couldnt handle it. I stayed up till now lapping it. It was so screwed that it was high in three different spots and low in four :rolleyes:

It was high near the middle in one spot, so that it would run at just below throttleback. I wondered about my temps being plain wrong in the reports from my XBX as I have heard that it isnt that accurate, even for a mobo.Perhaps the kind XBX owners could help me out with some of their temps :)

#2. Waiting for the H2o setup. I just picked up a HE120.3/Storm Rev.2/Fillport/Loons from a guy at XS that lives in Canada. Will hook it up to my D5 and giver'.

I guess I should appologize to my XBX. It was that shit excuse for an IHS that was dragging my ass through the mud.... I mean holy shit Intel, fix that shit quick :confused:

I'm back! And with an E6600, too!

Under stock clock with a Scythe Ninja, my temps are at 39c idle and...um...hold on...(running Orthos)...49c load. Which is a hell of a lot better than the D950 which was idling at 52c and loading at 70c. :eek:

Got my first ATI, too...x1900xt. But it still didn't fix my transparent windows score. :(

I'll overclock this weekend and let you know. I'm starting to like the board a little better now...but I still can't figure out why my 2D score is still so low. Guess it's time to post in the "Video Card" section...

i thought i heard the bad axe temp sensors show things hotter then they really are. Use the core temp app and let me know what kinda temps you get.

Strangely enough, the core temp app showed the exact same temps as the BIOS temps with the E6600. I think they were different when I used my D950, though... can't remember.

Back