980 Ti for a quiet setup in P182?

Rajveer

Limp Gawd
I'm looking to replace my current 2 GTX 670 cards with a 980 Ti. The SLI cards were a stupid decision as even though they are blowers, they generate so much heat that I need to keep my side case off (probably partly due to having no space between the slots lol), and I don't want to make a similar mistake this time.

I'll be using this with an overclocked x5670 cooled with a Megahalems Rev B inside an Antec P182. My case has 2x120mm intake fans on the front (one in the expansion slots) for the upper section, and one at the bottom section for the PSU. I have outtake fans in both the rear and rear-top slots.

If I went with a dual or triple fan cooler, would my case setup be adequate enough to get rid of all heat from both the CPU and GPU, or should I go for a (louder) blower?

I also use a P182 and i have 2 770s in SLI that are blowers and never had to take the side panel off, were your 670s throttling down or causing crashes? A single 980ti aftermarket cooler would reduce your heat output for sure.

Yeah they would end up crashing the system, and the top card normally reaches the low 90s. It may be that there isn't enough space between the cards with my motherboard, but I'm still wondering if an open air 980 Ti would be a bad idea in a P182?

I wouldn't want to buy an aftermarket cooler as I'd rather put that money towards a new case.

Last edited:
I'd really recommend getting rid of that case anyways. I had a P182B that I just replaced with a Corsair Air 240. Massive upgrade. P182s don't even have slots compatible with SSDs. They are ancient and the air flow is not great even with properly configured fans.

That said I ran a heavily overclocked i7 920 system with a non-blower R9 290 in one for a while and it ran okay, so a 980 Ti should be no problem if you really don't want to upgrade the case.

I was going to upgrade the case when I did a full system rebuild (probably when Skylake-e comes). I'll give a non-blower card a go and if everything is too warm I'll upgrade the case now rather than later. Thanks!

If "quiet" is important to you then I recommend looking at Fractal cases (the R5 is fantastic). Can't praise them enough and they do have good airflow.

edit : and I have a 980 ti in my mine as well :)

Last edited:
Thanks, that's exactly the case I was thinking of! I have an R3 for my server and it's such an excellent case.

P280 user here with an oc'd 2500k and used to have 2x gtx570. Vast improvement over 182b, case is super quiet and very cool. Now have a gtx 980, its funny, my xbone's psu fan is lowder than my pc when idling!

Back