980 Ti Gigabyte G1 Newegg Preorder.

Welp my RMA turned into a refund, so might just wait and see if there's a hardware revision or go for another card.

Zotac makes the crappiest cards. Their AMPs have been voltage locked and their cooling is worse than reference. Not sure why anyone would buy one. At least that was true for 970 and 980 cards.

Still to see what the AMP or AMP extreme will do for the 980 Ti.

Keep us posted, I guess.

Your gonna be waiting awhile for a revision

I don't think you need a revision: there are clearly many people with good cards - you just need to have patience and RMA or re-order a few times, until there's a significantly better card available.

So I need some assistance. I got my replacement card, this one works but not in my system. Everything boots up like it's going to start but then just stalls. I've got a Corsair HX850 power supply so I should have more than enough power to run this beast. My wife has a TX750 in her case and it works just fine for her, does that mean I'm possibly looking at a faulty PSU?

So I need some assistance. I got my replacement card, this one works but not in my system. Everything boots up like it's going to start but then just stalls. I've got a Corsair HX850 power supply so I should have more than enough power to run this beast. My wife has a TX750 in her case and it works just fine for her, does that mean I'm possibly looking at a faulty PSU?

Try installing the card again. Also try in another PCIe lane.

Mine has been shipped Monday from NewEgg California by truck and I live in Quebec.
I hope Pascal will not be out when I will receive my card... :(

Usually, Newegg ships from NJ...

Friends New 980GTX (Bought last week) didnt work in his system, he updated his BIOS from 2011 and it works.

Try that :)

Friends New 980GTX (Bought last week) didnt work in his system, he updated his BIOS from 2011 and it works.

Try that :)

Wow... that did it! I can't believe it was a simple bios issue.

Thanks soooo much!

Could someone with this card run the Mordor benchmark with the settings turned up at 1440P? I'm simply not seeing how Guru3D got 115 FPS. I'm a good 28 FPS from that mark (I get 87). CPU difference at most would cost me 5 FPS, so it's not making any sense to me.

Could someone with this card run the Mordor benchmark with the settings turned up at 1440P? I'm simply not seeing how Guru3D got 115 FPS. I'm a good 28 FPS from that mark (I get 87). CPU difference at most would cost me 5 FPS, so it's not making any sense to me.
I returned my reference 980 Ti but looking in my benchmarks folder shows 175 fps for 1920x1080 and 82 fps for 2880x1620. If you only got 87 at 2560x1440 then that seems a bit low.

Last edited:
I returned my reference 980 Ti but looking in my benchmarks folder shows 175 fps for 1920x1080 and 82 fps for 2880x1620. If you only got 87 at 2560x1440 then that seems a bit low.

Interesting. I'm returning this card in a day due to coil whine anyways. I'll see if the replacement is the same deal - by that time I'll have installed a Xeon X5670 so if my current i7 930 @ 4.0 GHz CPU is the bottleneck, it won't be at that point, but if the issue persists, I'll be really confused.

Just a quick update I got my order in the New order and Newegg emailed with the refund for the first order so that was awesome.

I didn't try any OCing yet since I have to leave for the night for awhile but tossed it in 72% ASIC first card 60%. The new card 100% fan load sound I would say is equal to the first card right around 80% so it is quieter at higher rpms. Set at 85% where fan curve is set at and headset on (PS Gold) with no Sound I can hear the fans but not over powering. I'm happy with it so far will test more. But this looks too be a keeper.

Got mine, ASIC is terrible looks like i'm going to struggle to hit 1.5ghz.

After talking with 3 REPS on Newegg, I was finally able to get my money back for the Gigabyte card instead of just store credit. Now I impatiently wait for them to get the new STRIX 980 Ti in stock...

Hi

I need to ask owners of this card one question:

Is it true, that if you touch the silent / slow LED on the cards cooler, it stops the fans or is it just normal LED and its not a button at all ?

I am asking becouse at LinusTechTips they said, it is doing that. But I read many other written reviews of this card and there is not a single hint about this feature.

So I decided I will ask actual owners smile.gif

Thank you

My GTX 980 vanilla G1 has a ASIC of 83% and it overclocks like crazy (1.6GHZ!).
I bought it at a very good price as it was an open box (the person who returned this card was clearly an amateur!) :)

I should received my 980 Ti G1 early next week. Can't wait to test this baby.

Hi

I need to ask owners of this card one question:

Is it true, that if you touch the silent / slow LED on the cards cooler, it stops the fans or is it just normal LED and its not a button at all ?

I am asking becouse at LinusTechTips they said, it is doing that. But I read many other written reviews of this card and there is not a single hint about this feature.

So I decided I will ask actual owners smile.gif

Thank you

Yes, they are actual buttons but you need need to run the Gigabyte oc guru software for them to work which is complete shit for overlocking

Just thought I'd chime in as well, my 980 TI G1 came in on Thursday of last week and I've had nothing but issues with it. I'm running a 720 PSU and this card is struggling at the default OC. In fact I've had to up the base core voltage just to keep it up at the default OC which is really disappointing.

Since we're doing the ASIC lotto I'm coming in at 68.8 which is ok but not great and surly not worth the extra funds this card requires.

I'm willing to think that it might be the PSU so I'm going to trade that out and see if there is any improvement but I'm not holding my breath as I'm coming from a 290x. More then likely Newegg is going to have another return on their hands in the next few days.

PS as far as I can tell the silent / stop "buttons" are not buttons at all. When the system is below a certen temp they iluminate and the fans shut off. When the card is under load they go black and the Windforce logo in the center kicks on.

Last edited:
Yes in General, gigabyte is the card to avoid for 980 ti.

I must be lucky then. Ive had my G1 for about a week now and think its probably one of the best cards I've owned. Stable at 1.5ghz, max temps at 70c playing Crysis 3 maxxed at 1440p and with a custom fan profile that maxxed at 70%, it's barely audible 3 feet away in my NZXT H440. Coil whine is minimal. My ASIC is 61 so I don't know how much that really even matters. Overall, very pleased with this card.

There will always be winners in the silicon lottery. The question is more winners or more losers. Your card seems nice but I have used the 970 G1 Gaming cards and they are by no means quiet cards. You really lucked out. Others have their cards hitting high fan speeds and with higher noise (especially in SLi). Also many ended up returning theirs, see newegg reviews.

I must be lucky then. Ive had my G1 for about a week now and think its probably one of the best cards I've owned. Stable at 1.5ghz, max temps at 70c playing Crysis 3 maxxed at 1440p and with a custom fan profile that maxxed at 70%, it's barely audible 3 feet away in my NZXT H440. Coil whine is minimal. My ASIC is 61 so I don't know how much that really even matters. Overall, very pleased with this card.

In that case I think you won big time. Mine was unstable even at stock, had minor coil whine and massive fan whine at anything above 50% fan speed. My previous Gigabyte 970 WF 3X OC cards were very quiet and also overclocked well so I'm bummed that GB failed me this time.

In that case I think you won big time. Mine was unstable even at stock, had minor coil whine and massive fan whine at anything above 50% fan speed. My previous Gigabyte 970 WF 3X OC cards were very quiet and also overclocked well so I'm bummed that GB failed me this time.

What does annoy me though is having to use the crap ass OC Guru 2 software. I have a green theme and wanted to have the green LEDs on the card. Not only does it nullify AB, you have to set it at each boot. Of course I uninstalled it. Gotta be a better way to set the LEDs. Other than that, it's pretty solid.

What does annoy me though is having to use the crap ass OC Guru 2 software. I have a green theme and wanted to have the green LEDs on the card. Not only does it nullify AB, you have to set it at each boot. Of course I uninstalled it. Gotta be a better way to set the LEDs. Other than that, it's pretty solid.

For some you can adjust it from GeForce Experience (which is equally crappy I know). It's bullshit that in 2015 so many hardware features are tied to some bloated software and not written to device memory when changed.

I understand it's hit or miss with these cards. But you will at most time get people to report Negative reviews more so than Positive. My 1st card I could of lived with it but decided to try for another and then 2nd one is great.

My reason I went with the G1 was it had the best cooling kept lower temps and in my rig I find that true. I still need to do more tweaking but I was able to hit 1.5 stable as well atleast it seems so will have more time this week to play some games. I rather have some fan noise to keep the temps low. My fan curve has the fan starting at 30% @ 40C. If your excepting a dead silent card then move on it's not the one your after. You will not hear anything at 50% fan speed 2100rpm but if you starting going any higher you will start to notice the fans. Even at 100% I'm find with the sound.

With that being said the 980Ti G1 has had some bad cards sent to people so it is the luck of the draw but I would just keep exchanging til you find one that's fine. I got No Coil Whine fans don't have the high pitch sound at higher speeds better OCer.

Last edited:
I guess I lucked out. I ordered mine back on 6/26/15 from the egg and I don't hear coil whine. I hope this thing gets a waterblock. I don't care about the led, I wish it had an off button. AB can control the fan so that is all I need. At its' stock clocks the witcher 3 on ultra looks awesome!! I had to mod the 350.12 drivers for the 980 ti to keep the game from crashing. The 353.38 were the ones I started with and they didn't do jack to fix thing. Check out https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/3azgik/anyone_having_the_witcher_3_crash_using_drivers/
to see the problem. I like I don't have to deal with 85C temps on thing thing.

Purolator has finally showed up with this:

8ktfILN.jpg

I was lucky too. My G1 is stable @ 1500+/8000, no coil whine and only audible over 60% fan speed. On auto fan profile it doesn't go over 65%. ASIC is 69.6%. Solid upgrade over the previous 780 ti.

I did not read the whole post but , my biggest complaint is the LED's white is some kinda bluish color, and for my black and white system it looks terrible, and the OC Guru software is bad as well.

Back