9800 GX2 or GTX 260?

3far4shot

Gawd
Which would be a better choice for an upgrade? I am also upgrading my proc to a Q6600 on my 680i board, but as for video card i am stuck with these two to pick from. I already have the 179.19 drivers so if i pick the GX2 i already have installed drivers for it. But i hear of micro stuttering problems.:confused:

Current card is a 8600 GTS.

I'd personally go with the GTX 260. Yes, the 9800GX2 may have a higher average framerate, but the 260 should have higher minimum framerates. Plus, if you like AA / high resolutions, the frame buffer and memory bus are larger. And you don't have to worry about whether a game scales in SLI.

Having the driver already is a non-issue; you'd want to uninstall and reinstall the drivers anyway to remove remnants of any 8600GTS-specific configuration.

I went from a 8800gts640 to a GTX260 and love it. Especially with the physx drivers out now I can leave my 8800gts in the machine and dedicate it to the physx.

I'd vote for the 260. Not sure on power, but the 260 might consume a little less being a single card solution rather than 2 glued together.

I went from a 8800gts640 to a GTX260 and love it. Especially with the physx drivers out now I can leave my 8800gts in the machine and dedicate it to the physx.

I'd vote for the 260. Not sure on power, but the 260 might consume a little less being a single card solution rather than 2 glued together.

Cool, did you just put the 8800 GTS in the middle slot?

Is the GTX 260 going to be able to play the future games? Like Far cry 2, Stalker Clear Sky, Starcraft 2, HL2:EP3, Project Origin and Project offset.

i like the 260 here, especially overclocked. plus the gx2 is terrible in comparison, using AA.

Cool, did you just put the 8800 GTS in the middle slot?

I actually put it in the bottom x16 slot as I didn't want to impede airflow to the 260. I have a 120mm fan on the bottom of the case (cm690) that blows air up to both cards and a 120 on the side which blows air across the cards. They're nice and cool ;)

I actually put it in the bottom x16 slot as I didn't want to impede airflow to the 260. I have a 120mm fan on the bottom of the case (cm690) that blows air up to both cards and a 120 on the side which blows air across the cards. They're nice and cool ;)

lol, i have the same case and same mobo as you. And i am about to upgrade to a Q6600.lol

lol, i have the same case and same mobo as you. And i am about to upgrade to a Q6600.lol

I love the case...with the exception on the side panel. Mine is hard as hell to get off. Bugs the crap outta me but then again I try not to get in there too much if I don't have to :p

I love the case...with the exception on the side panel. Mine is hard as hell to get off. Bugs the crap outta me but then again I try not to get in there too much if I don't have to :p

I agree, I have to pull really hard to get mines off:(.

I dont OC tho.

i would still probably go gtx 260 to avoid possible sli side effects (poor scaling or microstutter). the future driver updates for the gx2 might not provide needed updates. but really, you can't go wrong with either card.

Back